Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2023, 09:46 PM   #1

Tires

I’m new to the Jayco family and this forum, so, if I’m repeating an older thread, I apologize. We have a new to us, 2013 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X19H Hybrid. My question is about tires and finding a good replacements. Everything I’ve read talks about tires made in China, but, when I try to find a quality replacement, I run into size issues. Currently it has Carlisle ST185/80D13 with unknown miles and a MFG date of 2017.
Can I go up in tire size using the same rims in order to buy quality tires?
Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and/or suggestions.
exfiredude56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:30 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!
I looked and you are very limited on your choices. Can you go larger? Not really. Those are pretty much the largest 13” tires you can get. If you go to 14” or 15”, then you can go to 205 or 225. Most people say they buy Goodyear Endurance for their trailers. I can’t find them in that size.
I would suggest you buy tires from a chain that has stores near areas you plan on traveling to. That way, if you have a problem, you can get warranty replacements easily.
Best wishes, Kevin
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:36 AM   #3

Ask Jayco what the proper tire size is.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:14 PM   #4

X2 verifying the correct size from the factory. It wouldn't be the first time someone installed a different size.

Not all imported tires are created equal. One you get the size you'll know your options. Careful maintenance and monitoring will avoid most problems
Old 11-22-2023, 09:32 PM   #5

I saw that there was someone in 2015 that got 205 tires on a 14” rim and had plenty of room around them on a smaller unit of same series.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:30 AM   #6

There should also be a sticker on the side of the trailer that has the original tire size on it, if it's not, then as others have suggested, you should contact Jayco and find out what the original tire size was.

If you did want to move up (and you would need to make sure the bolt pattern would work for the new rims, most 14" rims are a 5x4.5 bolt pattern), and there is room, the closest 14" trailer tire size would be 205/75R14 and it is 0.6" larger in diameter, and is 0.8" thicker, so you would need to make sure of those clearances.

I have seen some Carlisle ST175/80R13 tires, and they would be slightly smaller. I haven't seen the 185 size.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:50 PM   #7

Tires

Thanks to everyone who commented. I decided to try a new set of Carlisle’s. I’m sure I’ll get some grief for going with a tire manufacturer in China.
I do appreciate this forum and the information available from its members.
See you down the road.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:50 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfiredude56 View Post
Thanks to everyone who commented. I decided to try a new set of Carlisle’s. I’m sure I’ll get some grief for going with a tire manufacturer in China.
See you down the road.

I would guess that there is a Discount Tire in your state, if not there is certainly something similar. You really cannot go wrong by asking the experts there rather than depending upon those of us who have bought eight or ten sets of tires for RVs over the years. Discount handles hundreds if not thousands of tires a month and certainly is more of an expert that we are. Asking "what tire" should I buy on these sites gets you a few favorites that may or may not be worth the money. Just saying.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfiredude56 View Post
See you down the road.
Tire manufacturing technology really hasn't changed much in the past several decades. It's all about the specifications that Carlisle sets. My guess is you'll have a solid tire that will work just fine.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:44 PM   #10

Cag,

Thanks, I’ll check them out, my only concern is most of the young men working there are just that…really young, so, I’m not sure how much knowledge they have. Maybe that’s just me being skeptical. Ha
Old 11-26-2023, 07:48 PM   #11

I think there have been numerous comments about the reliability of Carlisle Tires and as TaftCoach said it's the way they are made not where they are made.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #12

Buy the Maxxis M8008. They were the darling here on the forums before Goodyear launched Endurance, and frankly starting to see a few reports of exploding Endurance around now too (hard to find bad reports on the Maxxis). I did lots of research before buying. I've had them for 7 years now, watching carefully now because they are aging out, but no sidewall cracking/checking and tread is still plenty deep with very even wear. This is on an '11 X19-H.

Yes, I will probably replace at the start of the next season if we don't trade over the winter - DW retires February and considering a new rig.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #13
Site Team

The Radial Trail HD tires were y second choice if the Goodyear Endurance weren't available. Now I see the Carlisle brand name has been changed to Carlstar.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote