Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #1

Waste water tank sensors

We have a 2015 16XRB. Both the grey and black water tanks seem to have sensor issues. Even when water stops draining, the sensors show 2/3 full. Weve tried various means to clean the tanks, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BonnieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #2

I've never had trouble with the gray tank, but every so often the black tank sensor flakes out. I use a cleaning wand attached to a hose to clean the black and sensor.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Thank you! We might be heading to our local RV place to check out a cleaning wand.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #4

I installed a Tornado flush system in my black tank. It solved the problem of a bad read on the sensors for it, most of the time. I’m now having the same problem with my grey tank, and thinking about another Tornado, or possibly the geo-method.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
I installed a Tornado flush system in my black tank. It solved the problem of a bad read on the sensors for it, most of the time. Im now having the same problem with my grey tank, and thinking about another Tornado, or possibly the geo-method.
Is the Tornado something that needs to have holes drilled and a permanent connection?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #6

We have been using tank tech and always leaving some water and waste to slosh in motion. I found flushing all the time not really working. Of course end of season we flush and drain. Not that you need to do that either. This sturvite build up theory makes sense to me. And the nbacteria in the tank tech is the trick. Of course lots of water. We dump regularly. Add a couple of cap fulls.
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

Yes, BonnieL, a hole must be drilled into the tank, and it is a permanent install.
When I dump my tanks, I hook up a garden hose that I have specifically for dumping, run the tornado for a couple of minutes. When the water coming out of the tanks is clear, I’m done with the black tank.
Here is what I have: Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser with Remote Connection
Catalog Item # 28091
This is from Camping World website.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #8

I am shocked that this thread has had 6 previous responses and not one of them has addressed the real issue here. The tank sensors used in just about all TT's and 5'ers are not reliable and most give false readings from the get go. There is nothing, including flushing, that will fix the issue as it is the sensor itself that is the problem.

Pretty quickly you get a feel for how long you can use your RV before filling a holding tank. Grey water tanks will back up into the shower base if they are over filled but with careful use you s/b able to easily make it thru a long weekend without issues. The black tank can be visually checked by opening the flush valve and viewing down the hole with a flashlite. Not a pleasant thing to do but a quick check will let you know if you are anywere close to needing a dump.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #9

"I am shocked that this thread has had 6 previous responses and not one of them has addressed the real issue here. The tank sensors used in just about all TT's and 5'ers are not reliable and most give false readings from the get go. There is nothing, including flushing, that will fix the issue as it is the sensor itself that is the problem.

Pretty quickly you get a feel for how long you can use your RV before filling a holding tank. Grey water tanks will back up into the shower base if they are over filled but with careful use you s/b able to easily make it thru a long weekend without issues. The black tank can be visually checked by opening the flush valve and viewing down the hole with a flashlite. Not a pleasant thing to do but a quick check will let you know if you are anywhere close to needing a dump."

Exactly what several wizened old Marines taught me when we first camped at Camp Pendleton and I had emptied and flushed our tanks 4 times and the sensors still said 3/4 full. They also said to always travel with at least 5 gal. of H20 in each tank, and add a good squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid to each tank. It will agitate as you travel, and clean everything out. I don't even use the sensors now.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I am shocked that this thread has had 6 previous responses and not one of them has addressed the real issue here. The tank sensors used in just about all TT's and 5'ers are not reliable and most give false readings from the get go. There is nothing, including flushing, that will fix the issue as it is the sensor itself that is the problem.

Pretty quickly you get a feel for how long you can use your RV before filling a holding tank. Grey water tanks will back up into the shower base if they are over filled but with careful use you s/b able to easily make it thru a long weekend without issues. The black tank can be visually checked by opening the flush valve and viewing down the hole with a flashlite. Not a pleasant thing to do but a quick check will let you know if you are anywere close to needing a dump.
My tank sensors work fine when they're clean from flushing. The sensor isn't faulty, the design is. It's just a piece of metal sticking in the liquid at various levels. Any conductive matter stuck to a sensor will fool the system. It's only the black that has the issue, the two grays and fresh work fine. Aftermarket products can be found for alternative sensors if it's important to know what the level is. We can't look down the pipe as it doesn't go straight to the tank. I know that after 2 weeks it's pretty close to full though.