Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #1

X23B questions

Hi all!
Back from a trip the weekend in the 2015 X23B, which is new to us, and we love it. A couple of questions.
1) The black weather stripping/seal that covers the transition from the diamond plate to the front panel to f the camper (just below the bed) is starting to come loose. When driving the wind is catching it and starting to pull more of it loose. Looks like the previous owner repaired this already and did a sloppy job with residential caulking. Should I replace the entire piece of weather stripping? If so anyone know where to get it? I will try to remove the old caulk and reapply ProFlexRV.

2) when you are putting your bunk ends away and pull the shepherds pole out what do you do with the end arch pole (not sure what it is called)? Do you leave it entangle in the canvas? Do you pull it away from the canvas so it lays flat on the bunk end (mattress removed)? The latter is what I do as it seems to make the canvas more manageable but maybe I’m making more work. Also my canvas continues to rip at the seams. It just seems so dry. It happened today when packing up and pulling that end pole away from the canvas. I was planning to get new canvas at the end of the season but after the second rip at the seam I might have to do it sooner.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Matt
Mwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #2

You should not have to replace the trim at the dimond plate. The plastic piece just hides the screws. If they caulked it poorly. May need to clean it up, reinstall. Apply a little OSI Quad/Proflex type caulk at the ends to secure it down, and to keep any water out.

Sheeperds hook storage, we place it in the folded mattress, and the mattress ar stored in the closed bunk end. Been doing it since new. And it has not been an issue.

Where is your tent ends tearing. This is not a common issue. Wonder if the previous owner used a lot bleach. Now if the upper corners on the front bunk is pulling away. The plastic strip breaking is a common issue. Remove a single screw at a time. Add a washer and reinstall carefully, do not over tighten. Add a few additional screws and washers if needed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #3

Jagiven thanks for the reply.
It does look the the plastic piece is just covering the screws, glad to confirm that.
The bunk end canvas is ripping at the seam in the corner where the front panel, top and side all come together. Right where the bunk end poles push up and put tension on the canvas. On both occasions it has ripped when I’m taking the shepherds pole out and the end pole is falling down to the bunk itself. I am wondering if the canvas was cleaned with something too abrasive or it dried the canvas out to the point of making it fail.
On the other point about the bunk end canvas attaching to the trailer, I took the advice on here and put washers on the screws. The plastic was already busted up but hope the washer help it last a little longer.
My other question isn’t about the storage of the shepherds pole, I do put it in the mattress when folded, also learned here, but the bunk end poles that push up to hold the canvas. When putting the bunks in do you pull the pole out of the canvas so it lies flat on the bend end or leave it entangled in the canvas. Kind of hard to explain.
Thanks again for the help.
Matt
Old 05-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwagoner View Post
Jagiven thanks for the reply.

My other question isn’t about the storage of the shepherds pole, I do put it in the mattress when folded, also learned here, but the bunk end poles that push up to hold the canvas. When putting the bunks in do you pull the pole out of the canvas so it lies flat on the bend end or leave it entangled in the canvas. Kind of hard to explain.
Thanks again for the help.
Matt
It really depends on how the canvas comes down and lays on the bunk end. Most of the time, I just let it all drop down. When I am outside, getting ready to close up the bunk, I look at the fabric and decide if I need to adjust it. If so, I just grab the canvas in the center, and give it a yank and the frame drops it down on the bunk.

One major tip. When closing up the bunks make SURE the skirt is not in the seal. If it gets caught in the seal (even just a tiny amount) it will let rain water leak past. I have had this happen 3 times in total (once was the dealer's fault). Double check that skirt before closing up the bunks. I always keep the window's closed when I close up the unit, and the rain water was trapped in the canvas, and not a drop made it past.

Added thought on the canvas tearing, could the Sheppard's pole been extended to long, and putting to much stress on the canvas? I considered lengthening my poles a few times, and said no way!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #5

We have a 2013 X23b. I put the poles behind the sofa. While I didn't have this problem, a friend of mine put his on the folding sofa. One of his children got a bit rambunctious and fell on them and bent them beyond repair. As far as the arched support, I've always laid it flat on the bunk deck free from the canvas. No reason to put stress on the fabric.
dave89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #6

We still miss our 23B. Jag’s tips are “bang on”! We also stored the shepherd crook folded in the mattress. I wound up pinching the canvas in the bunk seal a couple of times and learned to double check before folding the bunk. We had to fold up during rain a few times and I always made sure I set the bunk-ends up to dry when we got home. Don’t want no mildew! We bought a product named PUG’s (pop up gizmos), like a rain fly over the bunk canvas. Keeps the bunks cooler and debris off the canvas. Check them out.
We discovered we preferred the rear bunk and called it the “owner’s suite”.
Enjoy!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #7

I make sure the canvas support arch is flat against the bunk bottom. Makes it easier get the canvas tucked in.
barrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie View Post
I make sure the canvas support arch is flat against the bunk bottom. Makes it easier get the canvas tucked in.
X2

Just pull up the canvas from the outside 'till you hear the arch clunk against the plywood. I've tried to leave the arch engaged with the canvas and it didn't seem to fold up properly. Don't do anything that stops the bunk door from closing as easily as possible or you'll start getting leaks.

Sorry about your canvas. Mine is older than yours and I've had no problem with the seams. (Knock on wood!) Perhaps a previous owner left it set up for long periods of time in the sun?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

For us, we store the shepherds hooks in the folded mattress, then one of us will run outside and help separate the tent fabric from the end support poles. Then we lower that support arch similar to you. This makes the tents fold up easier.
Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:36 PM   #10

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-11-2023, 09:27 AM   #11

New to the X23B, but having exactly the same issue. Black filler strip comes loose while traveling and canvas just popped the threads at the seam when pulling the arch down to fold up the ends.

My Opinion so far is that the single sticking is insufficient. I have an extended warranty that was transferred to me, but canvas is NOT covered.

Im getting ready to figure out how to remove the front canvas before closing for the winter so it can be resewn. Good luck with yours.
X23KEN is offline   Reply With Quote