Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #1

1 month old and neew a new roof

I just purchased my rv about a month ago. I was installing a couple vent covers on two vents on my roof when I noticed a screw protruding up through the roof and a few other screws that are "tenting" but haven't poked thru yet. I took it back to the dealer and showed them that and a few other more minor issues. So because the screw is ruptured thru the PVC material I need to get a completely new roof...

Princeton, Texas
Highlander350h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

well that sucks... hopefully they get it done before May...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander350h View Post
I just purchased my rv about a month ago. I was installing a couple vent covers on two vents on my roof when I noticed a screw protruding up through the roof and a few other screws that are "tenting" but haven't poked thru yet. I took it back to the dealer and showed them that and a few other more minor issues. So because the screw is ruptured thru the PVC material I need to get a completely new roof...
Is this a new unit let the dealer know other wise screws and staples are nothing new, patch the holes as they happen you can install Eternabond tape to reinforce the staple heads if the unit is only a few years old.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #4

Yes, this is a new 2018 unit I just recently purchased. I wish I would have looked at the roof prior to signing the papers on it...

Princeton, Texas
Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander350h View Post
Yes, this is a new 2018 unit I just recently purchased. I wish I would have looked at the roof prior to signing the papers on it...
Apparently the dealer's PDI tech didn't either......
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #6

Cheaper and far superior option if you need a new roof. RV Roof Flex Armor. At least one member on here has one and praises it. I also know a few others that have them. Just an awesome product. I’ve seen Forest River actually pay to have this done under warranty opposed to replacing with oem rubber material. Just thought I’d throw this out there.

Home - RV Roof - FlexArmor
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #7

Dang, put in a concern for water damage, mildew, mold. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
Site Team

I wouldn't be comfortable taking the entire roof off of a 2018 for a few screw or staple holes. As mentioned above, patch those spots with a little Eternabond tape and call it good. I know it is frustrating to find issues with a brand new unit, but unless the tech working on it is very good and does the job well, there is a much greater chance of issues with a replaced roof than the original one with a couple of repairs for screw holes.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:00 AM   #9

I'm with you WRT having a Tech at a dealer put an entire new roof on. I would think patches with Eternabond would be the best solution to the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I wouldn't be comfortable taking the entire roof off of a 2018 for a few screw or staple holes. As mentioned above, patch those spots with a little Eternabond tape and call it good. I know it is frustrating to find issues with a brand new unit, but unless the tech working on it is very good and does the job well, there is a much greater chance of issues with a replaced roof than the original one with a couple of repairs for screw holes.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Cheaper and far superior option if you need a new roof. RV Roof Flex Armor. At least one member on here has one and praises it. I also know a few others that have them. Just an awesome product. I’ve seen Forest River actually pay to have this done under warranty opposed to replacing with oem rubber material. Just thought I’d throw this out there.

Home - RV Roof - FlexArmor
Yep, love my RV Flex Armor Roof.

I have heard of warranty replacement with Flex Armor also unfortunately I had to pay for mine. Far superior product than rubber.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post

X2
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Yep, love my RV Flex Armor Roof.

I have heard of warranty replacement with Flex Armor also unfortunately I had to pay for mine. Far superior product than rubber.
Ed,

Did you have your slides done also or just the main roof? Just curious for now and for future reference.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #13

I have a 2018 Octane that is going back to Jayco in the end of May to get roof repairs.

It appears that they pulled the material crooked and left ripples and wrinkles in rubber on the roof. I am curious to see how they address it, with a new roof or try to pull it up and straighten it out.
YDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #14

I kind agree with the EternaBond as a "fix" except in this case it might be better for future warranty issues if the roof membrane is replaced. Especially since the unit is only one month old.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #15

Patching with Eternabond is a good preventative measure against further damage.
It will however not be considered a 'repaired' roof when you trade in or sell. It will be 'damaged' and lower the value accordingly.
1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #16

The warranty claim got approved from Highland Ridge

So the dealership can get the parts ordered and get started soon I hope ... The manufacturer said it is about a 55 man hr. job according to them which I am sure is a very conservative number. I guess we will see ...

Princeton, Texas