Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #1

2012 Jayco x213 Rear slide issue

Hi,
I have a 2012 x213 with the rear slide (I believe Lippert).

When hooked up to shore power or a generator when dry camping, the motor is unable to bring out the slide the final few inches and "raise it" up to its correct position. (I don't think it is lack of power and I am trying to troubleshoot the mechanical as the wait time to bring to a dealership is a long way out)

There is a clicking noise that sounds like a clutch or slipping gears in the small box attached to the electric motor. (arrow in picture to show where the noise is coming from)
The motor is able to bring it in fully but clicks a few times along and especially as it is close to full close.

When I look at the motor while it starts to be retracted, the whole assembly seems to move but I can't seem to identify why this would be or if this is causing the issue. I have searched the forum for help but can't find any specific fixes so figured it was worth an ask.
Thank you

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7376.jpg  
Yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #2

We had a Jayco Designer fifth wheel years ago that used the rack and pinion gear drive for the large slide. It started breaking the shear pin. It's that nut and bolt where the motor drive links to the shaft going to the pinion gear. Those steel rails with the gear teeth that run in and out with the slide are riding on steel wheels as they go in and out. I cleaned off any grit or dirt from the underside of the rails. All that weight and a steel wheel riding on a steel rail. The grit buildup was enough to create added loading, enough to shear the bolt.
This may not be your problem, but just thought I'd mention it. Especially if you've already cleaned the rails and gears. Just seams like you've got extra loading causing the drive gear to ratchet like that.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #3

Your motor/ gearbox was an originally purchased Assembly from Thompson Saginaw And Lippert bought them out. If you do need a new gearbox It cannot be purchased separately so you must buy the motor along with it and your looking at around $500.00 US. The pic shows the old gearbox & the new motor as I didn’t need a new motor so no use installing it so I keep it as a spare.
Attached Thumbnails
382C251D-08D2-4094-97ED-454BCD4276D3.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #4

If you find out that you do need a new gearbox it might come with longer driveshaft ends because Lippert only offers a universal fit gear box ( that’s what they told me and shipped me this) and I took it to a machine shop to make the correction. Luckily it happened at home as this problem took almost 3 weeks because they didn’t have one in stock.
Attached Thumbnails
103479F4-E62E-4726-B206-B2BA01BD08FA.jpg  
Old 08-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #5

Hi
Thanks for the responses. I did take the whole assembly apart and checked all the gears. Everything seems to be in good working condition with no wear on any of the gears. I greased and re-assembled and the issue still persists so it looks like maybe the electric motor is worn and needs replacing.

Any advice on what part to order and where to source?

Thanks
Yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #6

Call Lippert but you’ll have to buy the gearbox also. If you find one on eBay it might not be threaded for the set screw. When you call ask for his email address and send him a picture of exactly what you want and verify that it’s threaded for the set screw, if not you’ll need to have it done back home. It’s not a big deal but you’ll have to make sure your new set screw is not larger than the clearance hole in the gearbox assembly , it means you have 1 more thing to do to make it work. When I needed mine they only carried a universal style.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #7

Another note is to make sure that this distance is correct on the gearbox, if not you might be able to just switch them out at home for your spare gearbox ( just 4 screws on each bracket). If you run into a roadblock please let us know.
Attached Thumbnails
8E4BFB7B-CCA2-46CD-BD5D-4161F2E127FA.jpg  
Old 08-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

The size I needed but it was a fairly easy switch.
Attached Thumbnails
FA40A097-DCFC-4C5B-9736-B6EFCA6422EF.jpg