Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #1

battery disconnect switch

I don’t recall if I asked this question- - I have a 2021 Seismic with one solar panel and one battery. I had the battery disconnect switch on off. When we went to hook up the 5er for an outing about 2 weeks later. the battery was dead. Is the solar panel supposed to trickle the battery while disconnect is turned off or is the disconnect supposed to stay on?

Is the inverter supposed to be turned off while in storage?
Greatly Appreciate the help.
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #2

The factory disconnect should turn off the inverter when set to off. My CONverter was wired backwards in my 2019 Eagle TT and the disconnect did not shut off power to the coach and even 2-3 nights without shore power would result in a dead battery. There should be two heavy gauge red 12V wires in your converter. When disconnected, one should have power and the other should not. When wired backwards, 12V power was available to the coach AND the inverter.

Assuming similar wiring, your solar should be wired to a bus bar on the "in" side of your disconnect switch, so it should charge the battery regardless of the switch position. That being said, do you have a solar controller? A controller will maintain your battery. If the panel is directly hooked to the battery, it could potentially overcharge and damage the battery. Really depends on how big your panel is, but it isn't intelligent to "trickle charge" your battery.

Both situations are best tested with a multimeter. With the disconnect off, you should only have 12V on one leg of the switch. On my rig, the only things that are connected directly to the battery side are the one converter line and the break away switch. Even the tongue jack is off. I'm again assuming you don't have a solar controller based on your post, in this situation you can easily test the solar line by checking for 12V between the + and - at the panel (with the panel disconnected). Since it should be wired directly to the battery, you should have 12V at the solar in jack (roof or side). If you do have a solar controller, then your controller ought to tell you what's wrong from the solar side.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #3

Hard to say. Best thing to do is to ask Jayco for the 12V wiring diagram. Sometimes they do not like to give it up on a new rig.

Does your rig have the ability to remember the hitch height for easy hook up? If so, many people have stated that controller bypasses the disconnect switch, and is a parasite drain. I have heard if you also have the ability to use a remote for your slideouts and awning they bypass the disconnect switch too, and again another parasite drain on the battery.

Unfortunately no experience with the solar, but I would think it should keep your battery charged while in storage. This is where the schematic would be helpful.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
The factory disconnect should turn off the inverter when set to off. My CONverter was wired backwards in my 2019 Eagle TT and the disconnect did not shut off power to the coach and even 2-3 nights without shore power would result in a dead battery. There should be two heavy gauge red 12V wires in your converter. When disconnected, one should have power and the other should not. When wired backwards, 12V power was available to the coach AND the inverter.

Assuming similar wiring, your solar should be wired to a bus bar on the "in" side of your disconnect switch, so it should charge the battery regardless of the switch position. That being said, do you have a solar controller? A controller will maintain your battery. If the panel is directly hooked to the battery, it could potentially overcharge and damage the battery. Really depends on how big your panel is, but it isn't intelligent to "trickle charge" your battery.

Both situations are best tested with a multimeter. With the disconnect off, you should only have 12V on one leg of the switch. On my rig, the only things that are connected directly to the battery side are the one converter line and the break away switch. Even the tongue jack is off. I'm again assuming you don't have a solar controller based on your post, in this situation you can easily test the solar line by checking for 12V between the + and - at the panel (with the panel disconnected). Since it should be wired directly to the battery, you should have 12V at the solar in jack (roof or side). If you do have a solar controller, then your controller ought to tell you what's wrong from the solar side.
All that is greek to me but my brother who is a retired electrician should be able to follow your guidance. I will let you know what transpires
Thank you and the other gentleman for replying.
Vilma
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #5

I'm baffled that a so-called battery "disconnect" switch should do anything but disconnect the battery, period. In my mind it's not a battery disconnect if there is anything electrically connected to the battery that allows parasitic drain when the switch is in the disconnected position.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote