Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2023, 11:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I have to add distilled water to it twice a month on average. I keep a solar trickle charger on the battery during the summer while in storage but remove the battery during the winter. Certainly got my money's worth out of that one.
If your fluid level is depleted that quickly your trickle charger is not operating correctly.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Is that the Duracell? Is it considered a Deep Cycle Battery. Was it similar to this one?

https://www.samsclub.com/p/auto-grou...plp_product_11
It is a different Duracell battery. A 31DTMAGM

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230210_160243.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	86312

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I'd love to have that battery but my 12 year old Progressive converter only supports lead acid or AGM.

Renogy assured me that my old unit would charge to between 70 and 80%. On a lithium that would provide 70 amps available power which equals a 140 amp lead battery.

I added 200 watts of solar that pulled my battery up to 100% in less than a day. The built in supply and the MPPT solar will not harm each other or the battery per Renogy support. Now I just use solar and rarely even hit 50% while camping in cold weather. So nice to see my battery state on the Renogy app and what the solar is doing.

Some other brands have good reviews but I like the Renogy. If you go Renogy get a referral from a current owner like me and get an extra 7% off.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:53 PM   #24

I had the same issue in my 2020 eagle. It came with 2 acdelco deep cycle. What junk! Only lasted a season. I went to batteries plus and bought 2, "X2 power" batteries. They are very heavy, agm, batteries. Made with virgin lead, not recycled, have a 4 year free replacement. They are a little pricey but worth every penny.
andycook281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:04 PM   #25

Cpap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I call that light boondocking.

I suspect you have a 2021 model, so I suspect you have all LED lighting.

I upgraded to all LED lighting. I can go all weekend on a single charge as long as we do not use the furnace, I also have a CPAP that I run on 12v, with no humidification or heated hose. As for the slide, we extend it while connected to TV power. It probably still uses more battery power than TV power, but it cannot hurt to try to save a little battery power. We also only turn on the one or two lights we need and not every light. If you just want to leave every light on from dusk to bed time you might want a little more battery.

I use a Sam's Club 105 ah AMG Battery. So far (2 years) I have been very happy with it. This is a maintenance free battery.

The OEM battery was a wet cell battery that does require maintenance (adding distilled water periodically). If the maintenance is not done, it will die in a short order.
Hi there. Saw you use your CPAP on 12v. Did you add an isolated battery for the CPAP or use the TT battery itself? Looking at options for my CPAP when dry camping. Thanks. Don
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycook281 View Post
I had the same issue in my 2020 eagle. It came with 2 acdelco deep cycle. What junk! Only lasted a season. I went to batteries plus and bought 2, "X2 power" batteries. They are very heavy, agm, batteries. Made with virgin lead, not recycled, have a 4 year free replacement. They are a little pricey but worth every penny.
I bet you paid the same price as a lower end lithium. You could have got a good lithium for $500, had twice the useable power and one third the weight and last 3 times as long or more
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:34 PM   #27

We are rarely not plugged in. So far our six-year-old Bear or whatever off-brand 24 group battery Thorjayco put in this rig still works.

Great thread for my search for something a little bigger and more powerful. As always, the JOF is invaluable for information. Thanks, all! : )
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:06 PM   #28

TC,
That's lots of inaccurate info about batteries on the net. Especially
Lithium info.

Regarding lithium, is you have a WFCO power center, just swap out the bottom section(converter/charger). Get either the auto detect or the switched version. Get the same size that's in there now. 5 wires and two screws . Simple. Takes longer to take the pictures where all the wires go then to do the job. Picture is so you don't forget in r few minutes it takes to do the job. If you are like me, something always comes up to delay my work!!!

Search the forum under my user name. I did a decent write up of my lithium install.
BTW, I replaced two 6 volt golf cart batteries when I switched to lithium. They were excellent! 3 years old in Arizona cold and heat. Still going strong.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:26 PM   #29

Cbcocrbo

[QUOTE=PonyExpress;1094928]So after only 16 months my RV dealer tells me that my battery is no good and there is no warranty. (Jayco 2 year everything covered does not cover the 12V battery. Lovely!)

So I want to buy a battery and am overwhelmed with the vast products and options avaliable.

So what I need is a battery that will run the frige on propane, run out the slide and power the lights for 24 hours without draining lower that the 50% charge.

Ive looked at 100ah AGM on amazon, but want to avoid the junk.

Anybody knowledgeable that can steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

I use nothing but interstate deep cycle batteries in my RV, boat trolling motor, and regular Interstates in my vehicles. Also even tho' you can run your unit with one 12 volt battery i would opt for two hooked up in parallel. Still get 12volts but lasts longer.
Cheers
Rick
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 04:19 PM   #30

Batteries

I had intersate batteries in our trailer and they worked well but like you we had to replace them alsmost every two years. I am switching to Battle Born lithium iopn phosphate battreis. They can replace a standard 12 vilt battery and can be diachaged without worrying.

Yes, they are a bit pricy but can laat up to 10 years. So in the end they work out to being cheaper.

I fould them at Volts energy around 1300 canadian
Bear100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 04:37 PM   #31

My oem Interstate that came with the trailer lasted one year.

I replaced it with a Trojan wet cell deep cycle RV battery. Nothing fancy, though. But highly recommended on RV sites. It is now on its 8th year with no signs of slowing down.

AGMs are often recommended, and I fell for that in my boats. They were not cost effective.

Lithium batteries are touted by many, but if you listen to the environmentalists (which I'm NOT) they are not environmentally safe.

Lots of choices and lots of opinions. I don't listen to any of them, and just go with what works for me.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 10:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
So after only 16 months my RV dealer tells me that my battery is no good and there is no warranty. (Jayco 2 year everything covered does not cover the 12V battery. Lovely!)

So I want to buy a battery and am overwhelmed with the vast products and options avaliable.

So what I need is a battery that will run the frige on propane, run out the slide and power the lights for 24 hours without draining lower that the 50% charge.

Ive looked at 100ah AGM on amazon, but want to avoid the junk.

Anybody knowledgeable that can steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

Jimmy
I just replaced my OEM 90H LA bat with a Duracell platinum group 27 AGM deep cycle marine battery from Sam’s club. (It’s the one with the Black top and grey case). Around $200.

It’s only been 3-4 months, about 2,500 miles, but it’s been great so far. I have only 200W of solar and don’t do much dry camping. I mainly did it because we upgraded to a 12V fridge. No issues so far. I do notice the generator cranks over much better now!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 11:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Hi there. Saw you use your CPAP on 12v. Did you add an isolated battery for the CPAP or use the TT battery itself? Looking at options for my CPAP when dry camping. Thanks. Don
Nothing special. I installed a 12v aux outlet by the bed, and I use a 12v power cord, verses the 120v power supply. No inverter, it wastes to much power.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:17 PM   #34

Had a similar experience with our battery. Bought the trailer used from the dealer and the battery failed within 4 months. Replaced it with a NAPA 8301 (group 27) true deep cycle flooded battery and it is still working fine (2023 will be 7 years) but will probably replace it this year. We only dry camp two or three time a year and the battery will hold up for about 4 days. I will consider either a AGM or another flooded battery and step up to a group 31.
Ol'Dan is offline   Reply With Quote