Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Group 27 Battery

My 2017 GrayHawk came with a Group 27SRM Interstate House Battery that won't take a charge. I was looking on the Interstate Battery web site and saw that the group 29SRM battery is only 1/4" longer and 1/2" taller so I believe it will fit the tray ok. The spec.'s are better for the 29 and I think I will pay the difference in price and upgrade to the 29.

Does anybody know of any reason why I shouldn't do this?

SSGCharlie
SSGCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #2

No reason why not. I plan to upgrade and add another group 31 in the compartment aft of the current battery compartment.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #3

Thanks I thought it would be all right but was not sure.

SSGCharlie
Old 01-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Why not add another battery box and run 2 batteries, then you can use 2 6volt batteries in series. This will give you a lot more capacity than running 2 12 volts in parallel.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #5

I only want to run one battery that's why since I have to replace the 27 SRM battery I think it would be better to go to the 29 SRM.

SSGCharlie
Old 01-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGCharlie View Post
I only want to run one battery that's why since I have to replace the 27 SRM battery I think it would be better to go to the 29 SRM.

SSGCharlie
Charlie, like you, I only want to run with one battery. I had an SRM-24 Interstate battery and it was okay, but because it's a combo battery with high cold cranking amps, you cant discharge it below 50% without seriously beginning to shorten its life. This means that only 41 amp hours are actually available. And it seemed to be a rapidly discharging battery, even with no dry camping, properly topped off cells, a battery cut-off switch, indoor winter storage on a maintainer, etc. From my limited experience, as well as from what I've read, combo batteries just aren't the best house batteries.

I recently upgraded to this 100 amp hour Group 27 SLA/AGM battery. I haven't camped with it yet but the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere seem solid and I received it in perfect condition with free shipping for just $160. If it performs as expected, I'll have a battery that should last several seasons, can provide up to 80 amp hours without damage (double my Interstate battery), works well with solar setups, is maintenance free, spill-proof, can be mounted in any position, and doesn't off-gas when charging. And at 60 lbs it's just 14 lbs more than my last house battery (which is good because I'm a little tight on tongue weight).

Anyway, thought you might want to consider it or something like it. Pricing is comparable to the Group 29 you're considering. Good luck with whatever you decided to get!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

Mikey, Thanks for the reply, very interesting. The 27SRM battery that I have now should be replaced at no charge (I Hope). I have only had my GrayHawk since Dec. 6th I was hoping I would only have to pay the difference between the batteries.

SSGCharlie
Old 01-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Mikey, Thanks for the reply, very interesting. The 27SRM battery that I have now should be replaced at no charge (I Hope). I have only had my GrayHawk since Dec. 6th I was hoping I would only have to pay the difference between the batteries.

SSGCharlie
Aha! Well, being under warranty changes things. Good luck with the new battery.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:

SSGCharlie
I was about to say...shouldn't it be replaced under warranty? Looks like you've got it covered either way. If it were me, I'd use the warranty replacement battery until it wore out and then switch to the upgraded battery. Of course, I don't do a lot (as in none) of dry camping and my battery is only used when we're on the road between stops. It's nice to have a larger battery, but my thinking was that I'm paying extra for something I'll likely never need. Of course, I may change my mind if the zombie apocalypse comes or the truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere....
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

I am curious as to how these batteries are holding up? I am considering them also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Charlie, like you, I only want to run with one battery. I had an SRM-24 Interstate battery and it was okay, but because it's a combo battery with high cold cranking amps, you cant discharge it below 50% without seriously beginning to shorten its life. This means that only 41 amp hours are actually available. And it seemed to be a rapidly discharging battery, even with no dry camping, properly topped off cells, a battery cut-off switch, indoor winter storage on a maintainer, etc. From my limited experience, as well as from what I've read, combo batteries just aren't the best house batteries.

I recently upgraded to this 100 amp hour Group 27 SLA/AGM battery. I haven't camped with it yet but the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere seem solid and I received it in perfect condition with free shipping for just $160. If it performs as expected, I'll have a battery that should last several seasons, can provide up to 80 amp hours without damage (double my Interstate battery), works well with solar setups, is maintenance free, spill-proof, can be mounted in any position, and doesn't off-gas when charging. And at 60 lbs it's just 14 lbs more than my last house battery (which is good because I'm a little tight on tongue weight).

Anyway, thought you might want to consider it or something like it. Pricing is comparable to the Group 29 you're considering. Good luck with whatever you decided to get!
reppoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

I recently upgraded to this 100 amp hour Group 27 SLA/AGM battery.

I haven't camped with it yet but the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere seem solid and I received it in perfect condition with free shipping for just $160. If it performs as expected, I'll have a battery that should last several seasons, can provide up to 80 amp hours without damage (double my Interstate battery),

With a 100Ah battery, going by the 50% rule you only have 50Ah available, not 80Ah. See the chart below. If you do the 50% rule you will get more than a few years of use out of your battery.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - AGM Life Cycle Chart Graph.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote