Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 07:53 PM   #1

Jay Flight Swift Electrical Issue

I have a 2014 Jay Flight Swift 195RB trailer. When I used it for the first time this season, several unusual electric problems happened. I'm curious if someone who understands this type system might have an idea what is wrong. Here are the observed electrical issues:

1. When I first hooked to my truck, the brake controller wasn't working. I checked wiring and was fine. Then I hooked another vehicle with an identical brake controller up and it also wouldn't work. So I knew the issue was in the trailer. I went to the fuse panel and examined each fuse. When all fuses were re-inserted, the brake controller began working.

2. There's a light over the stove close to the light over the sink. When the stove light was turned on, the sink light went very dim even though the batteries were fully charged. None of the other lights (or all of them) would cause any lights to dim.

3. I usually charge my phone by plugging into the USB port on the radio at night. When I did this, the phone was seriously overcharged to the point that is was hot and wouldn't work (I noticed in middle of night). I unplugged dysfunctional phone and by morning it was completely dead.

4. The LED lights indicating battery charge and fluid levels would sometimes show 1/3 for each even though the tanks were empty (still winterized) and batteries fully charged. I noticed that again, if I removed fuses and re-inserted, the LED lights would again display properly.

On the fuse panel there are red LED lights below all but one fuse. When I remove one fuse in particular (second from right), the LED light illuminates. None of the other fuses illuminate when the fuse is removed. I'm not sure what that signifies. I couldn't find anything in the manual explaining the role of those LEDs. I suspect they are to identify when a fuse is blown. Anyone know?

Does any of this make sense to someone and might you suggest what kind of problem may exist? Thanks for reading and any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #2

Oddball stuff like that often results from a bad ground(S) in the system. Since you mentioned working on the fuses followed by some results look at the panel wiring first. A little corrosion, loose connection, etc.
Then check the main connection to the frame, battery to frame, any other places you know of to look at.

I have a 195rb, now pockmarked by hail. (GRRR State Farm dragging their feet) and wondered if you figured out where to put silverware drawer. Thinking of some kind of hanging shelf in the pantry. Any ideas, any mods yet?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll check for grounding issues.

I put a drawer underneath a shelf in the pantry, as shown below.

I've put various shelves in spots. This one is on the back of the pantry door for spices.

I also put lights in the cabinets on either side of the bed.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #4

Norrell,
You might want to clean all battery terminals and the ground cable to the frame. "Resistance to ground" can do funny things!

The red lights indicate a blown or missing fuse.
Your batteries may be fully charged but, a resistance to ground will not allow full current to pass.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:13 AM   #5

Thanks John.