Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #1

Sanity Check on Bearings

So, i called our local RV dealership where we bought our Jayflight, because i need to replace bearings/race/seal on One hub. Am i crazy to think $320 is high for one hub. I would think that would be more appropriate for both axles, not just one hub.

This is the first maintenance i've ever needed, but this seems crazy to me for bearing maintenance.
islandman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

It sounds high to me, but I always do my own bearings so that might be a typical shop charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are building in costs to repack the other bearings too. I've never heard of having just one hub done. They'll want to inspect all of them.

Learning how to do them yourself may end up being priceless one day. An hour on youtube and it's easy.

Edit - to help in the sanity check... Take a look at the parts prices.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...ces_Seals.aspx

I'd say you are getting gouged, but I know people happily pay 500% markup to not have to get their hands dirty.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #3

Thanks Bansai, your right, I looked online and saw several youtube on doing it myself, and frankly, looks very easy. I thought if it looked that easy, it wouldn't cost so much, especially when kit is less than $30.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

Are Jayco Jayflights Hub and Drums any different than this (from E-trailer)?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

I'd call them @ 800-298-8924

Being the most popular line of travel trailers in America, it will probably be a pretty quick answer.

I haven't had to replace any of the components on our camper yet, but ETrailer is highly rated on the forum, so that will probably be my default supplier when the need arises. They *may* need some additional information from your specific unit.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

How many miles on your trailer? Repacking is all they should need because they really should last the life of the trailer if they are well maintained. If by chance you do need bearings, do not buy cheap Chinese ones. Go to a bearing supplier and buy good quality Timken or SKF because they are not much more money.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #7

The mileage, i'm guessing south of 750 miles (per previous owner). Barely used when we bought it used.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman63 View Post
The mileage, i'm guessing south of 750 miles (per previous owner). Barely used when we bought it used.
Did they quote you that 320 dollar price after inspecting all of the bearings on your camper?

I'm curious now how the decision was made that you needed new replacement parts on an axle that has seen fewer miles than my daughters mountain bike. Something seems a little fishy.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Bansai, the scenario was, I called to ask service department about a slight play in wheel while on trailer, and whether that was normal. Their response was, the hub probably needed new bearings, and for that hub would be $320, but may be additional since they would inspect the other hub on same axle, and if it needed repacking as well, then the prices could be 1/2 higher (~500 bucks).

When i say slight play, it couldn't be more than a dime thickness, I'm just anal when it comes to maintenance, but not that high $$.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman63 View Post
Bansai, the scenario was, I called to ask service department about a slight play in wheel while on trailer, and whether that was normal. Their response was, the hub probably needed new bearings, and for that hub would be $320, but may be additional since they would inspect the other hub on same axle, and if it needed repacking as well, then the prices could be 1/2 higher (~500 bucks).

When i say slight play, it couldn't be more than a dime thickness, I'm just anal when it comes to maintenance, but not that high $$.
You've already ruled out the lug nuts not being torqued enough I'm guessing?

Depending on miles, most people suggest checking your bearings every year, I do mine much less than that on the trailers I've owned. In addition to 'play' in the wheel assembly, you would also likely notice the 'bad wheel' getting a lot hotter than the others when you do tow with it.

Let us know what you find out, I would be very surprised if it's a bearing failure at this stage, but stranger things have happened.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #11

A dimes worth of play sounds like all it needs is a snug up on the castle nut or at worst an inspection and repack, which is less than an hours labor for any mechanic worth his salt. Needless to say, 320 is highway robbery even if they were to replace everything on that hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #12

Thanks everyone, i'll update to what we do

Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Trailer hubs use tapered roller bearings, so they must have some play.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Danno, your absolutely right, after taking trailer today for hub inspection (not local RV Stealership) this morning, they said exactly same thing. Actually lifted trailer and inspected all 4 hubs, and i have to say, previous owner took excellent care of it. All hubs were fine, and the little play was absolutely normal. Now i feel better.

This forum and the wealth of knowledge sharing is awesome!

Old 03-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

I can safely say that you will never wear out a good quality axle bearing. Even a cheap Chinese set will most likely outlive the life of the average trailer. What kills these things is moisture and lack of use. If your trailer will sit for an extended period of time, you will be far better off repacking the bearings before you put your trailer into storage. The slightest bit of corrosion on the bearing surface will make them fail quickly.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #16

The price seams high to me too.

I found lots of YouTube videos on the subject, just had to find the right one that had the same configuration that is on my HTT, as there was a unique (at least for me) castle nut lock.

They are fairly easy to do, but it is a messy job. Probably the most important piece of the job is not to get grease on the hub surface that the brake shoes work against.

I use a lot of paper towels and WD40 to clean my old bearings. Wipe the old grease off, then use WD40 to breakdown the remaining grease until the surface is clean. This takes a few applications with the bearings. Repack by hand, and put it all back together. The first bearing will take the longest. Not a hard job.

I pulled the first hub apart, then went to NAPA with the race to find the correct one.

Good Luck!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #17

We had our bearings repacked and brakes checked. $120.
Parts are right on line with cost above.
Why do I know that?
Cause something went horridly wrong.. the cap came off grease flew out and the hubs caught fire.. We had to replace all on one side including the brake. This was on the road with no dealer around We had to find our own parts .

The "good" wheel turned out to have been repacked with I have no idea. There wasn't much grease in it and it was running hot.. the cap was still on.

We will do it ourself from now on. Our trust is gone.

Our bearing failure was about 2500 miles post the repacking job( which was done when the trailer had 15,000 miles) Just beware and anal is good.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #18

Good job Kim, your right, trust is a big thing in my book as well. After watching many videos and the wealth of knowledge on this forum, i feel doing this myself when its due will be no brainer. I'm mechanically inclined and feel confident by taking time it will turn out great. Thanks everyone!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #19

We just had our bearing repacked last month. Yeah, I could do it myself but I trust the dealer techs more than my ability. Anywho, here is their price:

Single Axle - $165.00

Double Axle - $330.00

Triple Axle - $495.00

Bearing Packs Include:

Inspect brake shoes, bearings, and magnets
Clean and repack wheel bearings
Adjust brake linings as needed (additional fee)
Verify the operation of the electric brake magnets and brake-away switch
Grease seals are extra, prices vary by axle size

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #20

I had not replaced wheel bearings since the early 80s when you still could on a car. The dealer wanted almost $200 for a single axle which I thought was way to much. So after watching a few videos off to Amazon I went. I cross referenced the Dexter bearings to Timkens which are still Made in the USA, Inner and outer sets with race $35.00, Seals $8.00, bearing driver kit to remove/install race $29.00, Bearing packer $20, this I didn't really need but its so much easier and cleaner to get grease back in the bearing. So i spent just over $90 and it took me about an hour to remove everything, spray clean brake parts and install races, bearings and new seals. The tools will last forever so next time all it will cost me is an hour or less of my time and I save $200 and the hassle of the dealer.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote