Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

Slide Out Exploded/Warranty Question

So this weekend one of my two worst fears happened. I'm posting in hopes of helping others if it happens to them. I have a 2019 JayFlight 28 BHS.

I was taking in the slide out and just as it closed I heard a metallic explosion. Very very loud band, and it was definitely metal. The first thing I did was push the button to slide it back out, thinking I had forgotten to take off my cell phone antenna (weBoost RV 65 pole) or had something under the trailer. The slide went back out about another foot and completely died. No power whatsoever. Nothing. We stay at a membership campground where you have to move sites every two weeks and it was move morning, 30 minutes until my deadline, and it was pouring down rain.

First thing I did was check fuses. The loud sound had me thinking it wasn't a fuse but checked that anyway. The slide has a unique self resetting fuse that is $13. I only learned that after researching it and trying regular blade fuses and blowing all of them. (Turns out in the end the fuse was fine anyway.)

At that point I knew I would have to do the manual crank in method and got the owners manual out and started looking for the crank and the access point. On my RV there is no hole in the frame, and I have the thermal package so it's all enclosed. There is however an access panel in the underbelly you can unscrew. When I opened that up I saw the motor and the worm gear push rod up against the frame with only about 1/4 an inch clearance to put a socket on it. I couldn't fit the socket of course, and I was cursing wondering why they didn't drill an access hole in the frame. Turns out that's not where the rod and motor should have been. After looking for a while I finally "saw" what happened.

There are two metal nipples on the push rod worm gear and motor assembly. Those nipples fit into two holes. One on the frame of the RV, and another on an L-shaped peice of metal. Together they "hug" the rod and provide friction. One of the two nipples on mine completely sheared off, and bent the 1/4 inch L-shaped metal bracket with it. Cheap metal I suppose. When it broke free the rod & motor traveled all the way to the I beam of the frame, pinching the two electrical wires and cutting them. (That's why after I heard the loud bang it went back out for a second but then died.)

So I was able to fix it temporarily by splicing the wires, and physically holding the rod with my hand to provide counter friction while my wife pressed the button and the slide came in.

Clearly this will be a warranty fix since this is a two month old RV. However - I'm thinking I am not going to deal with it. I have a work around. One of the two nipples is left. That nipple goes on the actual frame of the RV. The broken one is on the L-bracket. I was able to put the rod back into the frame hole, and I have a friend that can put a small tack of weld on the L-bracket to hold it. The L-bracket is removable, so later you can just unscrew it and replace the rod to correctly fix the problem.

My question is this. Do you think I will void my warranty by having my friend do this? Welding the rod on temporarily, so I don't have to deal with the possible loss of the camping season in the repair shop? Honestly the part is $450 online and even that seems worth it to keep it out of the shop. Warranty or not. I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

Sam
SamDSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #2

Sounds like you got the slide in and you are now at home, correct?

Before doing anything as a repair, I'd suggest you call Jayco and request a mobile RV repair. They have often authorized mobile repairs under warranty, but I don't know what their criteria is to do that.

Good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

Correct. I did get the slide in and we are home (at our next campsite) and good to go.

Yeah I'm on hold with them as we speak. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

X2 on a mobile tech.

Question, are you full timing, or out for a long tour? From what I understand Jayco has a limits the warranty for full timers. If full timing, I would be careful in what you say.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
X2 on a mobile tech.

Question, are you full timing, or out for a long tour? From what I understand Jayco has a limits the warranty for full timers. If full timing, I would be careful in what you say.
Yeah negative on full timing. Just seasonal, but go every weekend.

What about voiding warranty? What does everyone think about the welding?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Site Team

I have done some "under the gun" slide repairs also but I can't visualize what you are describing. Do you have a way to post a picture of the area?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have done some "under the gun" slide repairs also but I can't visualize what you are describing. Do you have a way to post a picture of the area?
Of course I didn't get any pics. I plan to this weekend when I go back. Standby and I'll get some drawings that show what I'm talking about.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #8

These two drawings show what I am talking about. The circled areas show the two metal nipples that broke off on mine (only one broke) as well as the bracket that bent as the nipple broke off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	49698
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	49699