Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Suggested Materials to Rebuild TT Floor?

Rather than the info and questions getting lost in my long thread ( the "soft" floor https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...let-60711.html ) I figured I'd post these specific questions separately.

Insulation under the floor decking? Anyone have a preference for batting vs. the foam board? I was thinking the board would be less prone to absorb water, but I'm not tearing ALL the insulation out (just the rear area, about 1/3 of the trailer) , and I have this thing for "uniformity".

Original decking is OSB. Was originally thinking going back in with the same stuff, but also considering a more traditional plywood. I think it would be stronger/more resilient, not much more expensive, but also maybe a bit heavier?

Anyone have a favorite "wood hardener"? I was looking at a Minwax product, and another "PC-petrifier". Want to use it to seal up the framing supporting the floor. Something to seal the plywood decking might be a good idea too? Figured I could always paint the cut edges, and top/bottom around the exterior too.... not sure. Suppose I could just seal the whole sheet too.

Sealing up the underlayment/vapor barrier on the bottom of the trailer? I'm gonna have to pop the edges loose when I remove the lower side paneling later, but I also want to seal up the BIG cuts Jayco put in it around the pipes entering the black tank. Great area for water from the road to sneak into the insulation over time.

Paneling in the "shower"? It's the regular Luan paneling, like everywhere else in the TT. Sealed around the "tub", but the corners is just the rubber seam gasket like used everywhere else the paneling meets. Has anyone installed a fiberglass tub surround, or maybe used a paneling that's more impervious to water?

I think that about covers it for now. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

You can buy marine grade plywood for that area.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

Any other suggestions/insight?

Still drying it out.....
Old 09-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #4

I would just use OSB, why waste money on marine plywood. As long as the OSB is kept dry it wont give you any problems
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
...As long as the OSB is kept dry it wont give you any problems
That's the problem. The floor is located in an area that is subject to getting wet.

Also, Minwax's wood hardener doesn't penetrate all that well and takes a long time to get only fairly hard. A two part penetrating epoxy works much better, drying harder faster.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
That's the problem. The floor is located in an area that is subject to getting wet.

Also, Minwax's wood hardener doesn't penetrate all that well and takes a long time to get only fairly hard. A two part penetrating epoxy works much better, drying harder faster.
That's the kind of info I was looking for, thank you.

Still not sure what I want to do about the insulation, or shower paneling. Shower can wait though, plenty of work to do first.

What's the favorite method for sealing up cuts in the underlayment/"tarp" on the bottom of the trailer? I think I read some use Gorilla tape?