Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2018, 05:11 AM   #1

Truma Tankless Water heater dealers

Considering swapping out Girard tankless water heater for Truma. Truma is sold and installed only by trained dealers. Cant locate a dealer in Maryland (or even close). Any suggestions?
Wild4Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild4Williamsburg View Post
Considering swapping out Girard tankless water heater for Truma. Truma is sold and installed only by trained dealers. Cant locate a dealer in Maryland (or even close). Any suggestions?
Looks like there are two dealers about 60 miles from you according to the Truma Website. Cedar Mountain RVI in Chantilly, VA and Parkview RV in Smyrna, DE.

https://www.truma.com/us/en/truma-de...e=Millersville, MD, USA&searchedCountry=US&services=

Unfortunately, Truma does not sell direct for a self install nor do they deal with many independent mobile RV services either. This policy may change at some point in the future, but it is what it is for now.

I know they are starting to open factory service centers as well, which is where I got mine installed thru the first one in the country which is located in Lakeland, Florida.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #3

I appreciate you looking that up. I didnt find anything that close. Chantilly about an hour and a half from me depending on traffic.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #4

Your very welcome. And either myself or another Truma owner can give you a referral code worth 50 bucks to both parties if you decide to get one. Not a lot but better than nothing.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:55 AM   #5

Initial research tells me I am looking at $1500-$2500 for an installed Truma tankless heater. A replacement Girard unit is roughly $500 and considering installing it myself. Is the Truma really that good? Who is willing to tell me how much they paid for the Truma and if they have had issues?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild4Williamsburg View Post
Initial research tells me I am looking at $1500-$2500 for an installed Truma tankless heater. A replacement Girard unit is roughly $500 and considering installing it myself. Is the Truma really that good? Who is willing to tell me how much they paid for the Truma and if they have had issues?
Your initial research is correct. The Truma is quite expensive but is also in my opinion, the ONLY "on demand" RV water heater out there that was specifically designed and addresses issues that are unique to an RV. I was lucky in that I had mine installed on our site for free by a tech from the new Truma service center in Lakeland Florida (travel charge below) during a grand opening promotion which probably saved me a couple hundred dollars. The average install is 2-3 hours so factor that labor charge in as well as any costs to have the door painted, if that is something that needs to be done. My Girard door was black and so is my Truma door. I also obtained a referral rebate code from another Truma owner that gave us both a 50.00 prepaid Visa to help a little more. My costs were as follows:

Truma AquaGo Comfort unit - 1233.00
Black XS Door (extra small) - 119.00
Travel Charge (on site install) - 39.99
Sub total - 1391.00
Tax (Florida - 7%) - 97.44
Grand Total out the door - 1489.43
Minus 50.00 Rebate Coupon from Mike - 1439.43

Our Eagle had enough propane hose to reach so we didn't need the conversion kit.

I could go into a diatribe between all the "issues" (mechanical and operational) we and many others have had in the first year with our Girards but that has been beaten to death in other threads on this board and many others. But suffice it to say that we went thru 3 different Girard units in our first year and that doesn't say anything to all the "operational quirks" one must deal with to get a satisfactory result from the Girard and other "on demand" units out there. But there are two, totally separate results of the Truma install that says more than anything. First, I can't seem to GIVE my previous, fully functional Girard Gen 3 WH away!! So if I can't find someone that wants it in the next couple of weeks, it will be tossed in the trash. And second, but by far the most important, I REALLY went out on a limb in promoting the Truma as the "holy grail" of water heaters and I am glad to report that the DW (aka: the "accountant") has moved on to other things to complain about!!!

Since having our Truma installed, the difference is night and day. Have had absolutely NO issues with it since day one. Actually, I haven't had to touch it once since it's install for anything! It has been basically a "set it and forget it" solution. No more cold water sandwiches when turning the hot water on and off again like during a navy shower or doing dishes. Adjust the temperature of the water at the tap by mixing as much or little cold water as you wish instead of adjusting the hot temp at the control panel and not using cold at all. No more worrying about someone flushing or running a faucet while another is in the shower. No more concerns about sites with low pressure/flow that used to require us to partially fill the fresh water tank and use the pump. Much higher BTU rated AND variable burner that handles much colder water sources and still get up to temp. Doesn't overheat and shut down with much warmer water sources, such as in Florida. Much quieter. Can now easily descale it myself. Hot water much faster at the tap due to the "mixing tank" and the "comfort mode" setting. Built in freeze protection, .............., etc.

I completely understand the concerns about the cost difference, but the Girard (and others) are basically residential "on demand" water heater technology where incoming water temps, pressure, flow, etc. are constant and predictable. That "tech" was then crammed into a box that fits in an RV. The Truma was obviously designed from the ground up to operate in the various RV environments it may encounter. The Truma was the answer we were looking for and we couldn't be happier with it.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #7

Well said, Bluejay. Glad you're enjoying the Truma. We absolutely love ours.

I've seen comments from some folks complaining that the Truma is propane only and they don't want to spend their money on propane when they sit in a RV park with free electric. We just spent 2 months in Florida. We filled the propane about a week before we got there, so we started with almost a full tank. 80% full would be 13.2 gallons. When we left I stopped and filled the tank. It took 11.7 gallons. 2 months of showers and cooking and 2 or 3 nights running the furnace when it got too cold for the heat pump. I sure can't complain about the amount of propane it took when I can enjoy a nice long hot shower with no problems. I think a Truma is money well spent.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

Sure are enjoying the crap out of it Mike and couldn't agree more about the lack of an electric heating option. But then again, the Girard and other "tankless" heaters have the same issue so I would assume that is not a concern for the OP.

But even more of a surprise for me in regards to how little propane the Truma actually uses, was how much "fiddling" I was doing with the Girard from day to day, site to site, and never knowing if it would be "happy". So I also agree the Truma was worth every penny and remarkably, so does the DW which makes it even all the more pleasurable!!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Your initial research is correct. The Truma is quite expensive but is also in my opinion, the ONLY "on demand" RV water heater out there that was specifically designed and addresses issues that are unique to an RV...
Actually, Precision Temp has been making excellent RV tankless water heaters, including one that vents through the floor and doesn't need to be installed on an outside wall, for years. The rare complaints I've seen about them were suspicious at best, such as the one the guy bought from a mobile RV repairman who claimed he removed it from an RV owned by a little old lady who wanted it removed because the noise it made when firing up scared her (yeah, right), ones that describe problems that made it sound like a Gerard, one clown who gave it a bad review based on the Girards, etc.

However, I don't doubt the Truma's are better since they have one or two features the Precision Temps do not and seem to be even better designed.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
Well said, Bluejay. Glad you're enjoying the Truma. We absolutely love ours.

I've seen comments from some folks complaining that the Truma is propane only and they don't want to spend their money on propane when they sit in a RV park with free electric...
An electric tankless water heater would require far more power than even a 50A RV service would be capable of providing.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:11 AM   #11

Thanks BlueJay and all. A lot to sink in. Update is I contact the tech in Virginia yesterday. He wants pictures, model #'s and details sent to his email. Will be a day or two before I can do that. After we talked basics, I asked for a starting point. He said depending on what I send him for details to think $1900 as a starting point and may go up from there. FYI I never really had an issue with my Girard. Mine failed because I didn't winterize it properly.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #12

We had a Truma installed in our 2018 Greyhawk 31DS. We picked up our RV in Middlebury in March, I called Truma in Elkhart and they installed it at their warehouse. We love the Truma. We had a Precision Temp in our Class A, they work great when they work. With the Precision Temp you have to reboot the onboard circuit board often. I did a lot of research on Truma, it was well worth the money!!
Headingout is offline   Reply With Quote