Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

!2 volt ignition switched power in coach?

Is there a 12 volt circuit in the rear of my 2003 Greyhawk that is on only when the ignition switch is on? I am trying to power a rear view camera and only want it powered when the ignition switch is on. It is a wireless model that needs a 12 volt source to power the camera and router in the rear of the coach. I have already located a switched wire for the monitor up front.

Thanks - Steve
Quick Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Strike View Post
Is there a 12 volt circuit in the rear of my 2003 Greyhawk that is on only when the ignition switch is on? I am trying to power a rear view camera and only want it powered when the ignition switch is on. It is a wireless model that needs a 12 volt source to power the camera and router in the rear of the coach. I have already located a switched wire for the monitor up front.

Thanks - Steve

To be clear - I don't know.

But I was in a similar situation with my older 2008 coach that had no rear view camera. I tried the trailer hitch connector and found out that it hadn't been wired. But if you've got one, you could try that.

I ended up running 12G wire from the fuse block thru the firewall and to the back of the motorhome. Wasn't hard and wasn't expensive.

That might be your Plan B.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

I think I will use one of the house lights above the bed to power it. It is on whenever the master is on in the coach regardless of the light switches by the door. I'm going to be traveling with the master on anyway. I think I will buy a switch for power to the unit so there is no drain from the camera and router when we are not traveling. That will be my plan B if there is no 12 volt ignition switch power in the coach. This install is taking way more time then I thought it would.

Thanks - Steve
Quick Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

I had the same issue on our Melbourne when I wanted to add a better camera system. I ended up tapping into the upper rear marker/running lights, so when I want to see what is going on behind at any time all I have to do is click on the running lights. The inverse is that the cam is powered all the time when the lights are on, don't know if this will affect lifespan, time will tell. The cam I used was from my old car hauler and was set up the same way with no issues.
Seniorchief is offline   Reply With Quote