Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

2016 Jayco Greyhawk(31FS) - Sleeping Capacity

Interested in buying a used a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk.

Have a question regarding sleeping capacity. Some websites show it sleeps 10 passengers. Am assuming this is a combination of adults/children..

How do I know the total passenger weight limit ?
tampaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #2

You need to know what the weight of the Greyhawk is and what its Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is. The GVWR is 14,500 lbs. So if the Greyhawk weighs 13,500 lbs, then you can carry a total of 1,000 lbs in passengers, cargo and food. The 31FS is a heavy Motorhome because of its length, 32' and its 2 slides.

Their should be a sticker on the Motorhome with its weight, but you shouldn't trust that weight to be 100% accurate. If the dealer or previous owner added anything to the motorhome, the weight on the sticker will be less than the actual weight. Take it to a truck stop with CAT Scales and have it weighed accurately.

Our 31FS had seat belts for 8. Two in the cab, 2 on the couch and 4 at the dinette. I would be concerned with traveling with more than 8 people because it means passenger #9 and above won't have a safe place to sit.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
You need to know what the weight of the Greyhawk is and what its Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is. The GVWR is 14,500 lbs. So if the Greyhawk weighs 13,500 lbs, then you can carry a total of 1,000 lbs in passengers, cargo and food. The 31FS is a heavy Motorhome because of its length, 32' and its 2 slides.

Their should be a sticker on the Motorhome with its weight, but you shouldn't trust that weight to be 100% accurate. If the dealer or previous owner added anything to the motorhome, the weight on the sticker will be less than the actual weight. Take it to a truck stop with CAT Scales and have it weighed accurately.

Our 31FS had seat belts for 8. Two in the cab, 2 on the couch and 4 at the dinette. I would be concerned with traveling with more than 8 people because it means passenger #9 and above won't have a safe place to sit.

-Michael
Thanks. I'll find out if there are any modifications done as I currently do not know the actual weight.

Even with 8 people, if we assume each weighs ~160lbs then we need an additional 1280lbs + food/cargo to account for.

May I ask the actual weight of your 31FS without passenger/cargo/food?
tampaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

I just purchased a 2016 31FS last week out of Dallas. We transitioned to it from our HR Endeavor diesel pusher because we quite simply ran out of sleeping room in the HR (family of 5, including three teenagers). This coach will sleep 6 adults nicely and you'll still have room on the couch for 2 small children and 2 small children on the booth dinette. So a total of total possibly sleeping capacity of 10 but better for 8, 6 of which could be full size individuals.

As far as GVWR, you only have something like 1400 to work with. I can get you the exact numbers but 1400 is very close. It's not much obviously and some thought has to be put into what you are carrying, that's for sure.

In closing, so far I am very happy with the 31FS. It drives better than I thought (based on reviews), it tows better than I expected, and it gets better mileage than I expected.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamisbound View Post
I just purchased a 2016 31FS last week out of Dallas. We transitioned to it from our HR Endeavor diesel pusher because we quite simply ran out of sleeping room in the HR (family of 5, including three teenagers). This coach will sleep 6 adults nicely and you'll still have room on the couch for 2 small children and 2 small children on the booth dinette. So a total of total possibly sleeping capacity of 10 but better for 8, 6 of which could be full size individuals.

As far as GVWR, you only have something like 1400 to work with. I can get you the exact numbers but 1400 is very close. It's not much obviously and some thought has to be put into what you are carrying, that's for sure.

In closing, so far I am very happy with the 31FS. It drives better than I thought (based on reviews), it tows better than I expected, and it gets better mileage than I expected.
This is correct. 6 adults can be comfortable, but consider the couch and dinette to be for smaller children only. I have a 15' 31FS and we have things dialed in on what we can carry. Loaded for travel we are maxed out (weight) at this point, but have everything we could possibly need. I would like to carry more, but have learned to live without certain things. We chose the FS for the ability to put our two kids to bed, and be able to close off the living from sleeping space. Be sure to consider storage too. The FS has good storage inside, but really lacks outside compared too other models. We have made several mods that contribute to our coach being near perfect!
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:49 AM   #6

You get over gross real fast with a 31FS. Their heavy to begin with having double slides, leveling system, Hellwig springs, and on mine an extra air conditioner. The weight of mine with me, wife and daughter, half water and half fuel was 13,500 lbs which only leaves 1000 pounds left over. Another thing to remember; the Jayco supplied ladder is painful for an adult to climb up onto the over cab bunk. I removed my ladder and get up by putting my foot on the armrest of the couch. Here's a little tidbit to try and remember. Make sure there is nothing on the floor below the foot of the bed before you put the rear slide in. One of our members didn't see a shoe, and when the slide came in it pushed the shoe through the wood under the bed and had some serious damage. If you need the rig only for sleeping, when their awake their gonna want to go outside, so I hope the weather will be ok for you. Once you get full water, fuel, and all your junk in, I think 10 people would easily put it over.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #7

Hello All!

t18skyguy, I did the same thing with the back slide except instead of a shoe the drawer was slightly open and when i sucked in the wall, POP went the molding. Not a huge deal but lesson learned. Now I triple check. Question, I am curious why the FS model is so popular? I get the bunk beds but when we looked at the loss of storage space it just did not make much sense. Unless you are traveling with a LARGE family (we are a family of 5 and usually bring a guest) the loss of storage is just not worth it. Do those that own the FS find there is adequate storage or maybe I just pack way to much crap..LOL!

2017 Greyhawk 31DS
Blue OX Alpha tow bar
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited
Vergari59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergari59 View Post
Hello All!

t18skyguy, I did the same thing with the back slide except instead of a shoe the drawer was slightly open and when i sucked in the wall, POP went the molding. Not a huge deal but lesson learned. Now I triple check. Question, I am curious why the FS model is so popular? I get the bunk beds but when we looked at the loss of storage space it just did not make much sense. Unless you are traveling with a LARGE family (we are a family of 5 and usually bring a guest) the loss of storage is just not worth it. Do those that own the FS find there is adequate storage or maybe I just pack way to much crap..LOL!
We are a family of 5 and 2 dogs. For up to a week getaway, it is fine. The large storage area in the rear is usually full, but we do still have space left.

I suppose we do put a bunch of stuff in the Jeep too.

A lot of times, we tend to plan the food situation around camping. I'll put a pot roast or something similar in a sealed bag and throw it in the fridge so i can just dump it in the cast iron pot during the day and don't have to use a bunch of cooking stuff.

I do wish it had a single super slide and a larger awning. If it is raining, we can barely fit everyone under the awning without blocking the door. We looked at the Thor, but the tow hitch wasn't enough (says 8k, but only 500 tongue), and the Quantum has a residential fridge (basically no dry camping).

The FS should also have a 4 door fridge. If you buy a bunkhouse, you plan on taking people with you. The larger fridge would really help. At least the Jayco has an 8 cubic foot and not the tiny ones that Forest River and others have.

It would also be really cool if the rear had a slide instead of the bunk side slide out. Not sure what you'd do with the ladder, but it seems like a short queen could "murphy bed" from the ceiling and make more room.

Really waiting for the next evolution where they start making a hybrid type coach where its mostly electric with the engine serving dual purpose as a generator and the battery charger for the electric motors. Should have the entire roof full of panels as well. Seems so strange to have two gas motors on a motorhome.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Hello All!

With the 31fs, what your really doing is trading some outside storage for more inside storage which includes the bunk slide. I still have not even come close to filling the outside storage. What the 31fs solves for me is where to put all the baggage clothes etc that we take on the trip. On the old motor home, it would go on the overhead cab bunk. Then it would have to be put on the floor at bedtime. Then back up on the bunk so we could walk around during the day. With the 31fs, all our bags and stuff go on the upper bunk. Problem solved. For me, that upper bunk is huge storage, very convenient to grab easily. I counted about 36 total cabinet/ drawers in the rig and don't even have half of them filled. In fact, there is so much storage that Jayco warns you in the manual that filling them all might put you over gross. You do sacrifice some counter space in the 31fs, but it's not a big deal to us we don't make big spreads. Yes the awning is small, but we don't use it that much, and it can't be bigger cause of the slide. A bigger fridge would be nice, but we make do OK.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
This is correct. 6 adults can be comfortable, but consider the couch and dinette to be for smaller children only. I have a 15' 31FS and we have things dialed in on what we can carry. Loaded for travel we are maxed out (weight) at this point, but have everything we could possibly need. I would like to carry more, but have learned to live without certain things. We chose the FS for the ability to put our two kids to bed, and be able to close off the living from sleeping space. Be sure to consider storage too. The FS has good storage inside, but really lacks outside compared too other models. We have made several mods that contribute to our coach being near perfect!
I'd be interested in learning more about the mods you made. I have several ideas I'm working on right now that will improve the coach for our needs. Mainly, converting to two 6v house batteries, increasing water capacity, installing a brake controller, etc...

Quote:
Hello All!

The FS model (and similar floor plans) is very popular right now because of the bunk beds. Bunk beds are one of the hottest options people are looking for these days. I'm a perfect example in that I traded down from a diesel pusher to a gas class C because we wanted/needed bunk beds and a DP with bunk beds costs big bucks.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #11

It's a win win with 5 grandkids

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
msmith9386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #12

We have a 2017 Greyhawk 31FS and love the capacity. We've slept 8 adults comfortably - at least those on the sofa and dinette did not complain much. When asked by non-RV owners, I tell them, "It seat belts eight, but sleeps nine." We've had four adults and four pre-teens in the rig twice now and will do it again this summer. Granted, they are not all in the rig when we are moving, just when we are at camp.

I'm curious if everyone weighs every item that goes in their RV? Including the consumables. I have never worried about GVWR or any of those ratings unless it applies to the the capacity of the tow vehicle...we used to have a pop up that I worried for the minivan that we towed it with. Certainly manufacturers don't put a hard stop on weight values. There has to be some safety built in for the non-conformists like me. I assume there is a 20% safety margin built in, for the manufacturers sake and my ignorance to following the recommendations.
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
I assume there is a 20% safety margin built in, for the manufacturers sake and my ignorance to following the recommendations.
That would be a great question for Jayco.
I'll guess what their answer would be.

Personally, I would NOT make that assumption.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #14

pconroy,
I am sure what Jayco's answer would be.

But to your comment about not assuming... Does that then mean that you weight absolutely everything that goes into your RV before motoring down the road?
Old 02-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
pconroy,
I am sure what Jayco's answer would be.

But to your comment about not assuming... Does that then mean that you weight absolutely everything that goes into your RV before motoring down the road?
Nope.

And I'm sorry if my response came back as 'preachy'; I didn't mean it to. I know I'm overweight at times, the CCC on our 31FK is dismal.

Others do - they do religiously weigh their loaded RVs.
A blow-out at 65 mph could be catastrophic.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #16

pconroy, No worries, I didn't read it that way at all. I suppose I should be more cognizant of weight, but we're never out for more than a few days. Clothes and two days of food and beer don't add up to much.

Maybe I don't drink enough beer.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:

Maybe I don't drink enough beer.

I'll just pick up the slack on my end for you...