Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2023, 06:56 PM   #1

2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV generator issue

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV that is having issues with the generator. The Gen will not start from the indoor control panel nor the start/stop at the Gen. The start switch on the control panel does not show a light when pressed and the hour meter is blank. The light on the start/stop at the gen is out as well. No sounds coming from the Gen (i.e. clicking from the solenoid attempting to turn starter). I connected a volt meter to the gen at the ground bolt and the hot side of the solenoid and we have power coming in from the house battery (12.7v).
The RV has fuel and new house battery. This has been ruled out.
Is there a fuse that runs between the gen and the control panel? If so, where is it?
chrisalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:04 PM   #2

Not sure if you checked the 30 amp breaker on the generator itself. I’ve never thrown that breaker so I don’t know what actually happens if this breaker is open. Worth a check:
Frodo13056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:09 AM   #3

The genset breaker is for 115VAC output. You're getting power to the solenoid but power feeding the starter switch is a different line. I have a schematic for my 29MV but it doesn't show this line for the switches. So you'll have to figure out where that power comes from.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:39 PM   #4

The first check is to measure the 12 volts at the generator. Measure where the heavy cables connect inside. The positive will probably connect to the start solenoid. Not sure where the ground cable will connect.

Also check the ground cable connection at the frame. Mine loosened up and would cause a hiccup in the starting. There have been instances of ground connections breaking off which would cause your exact problem.

My wiring diagram shows a breaker inline with the positive feed. If you don't measure 12 volts inside the generator, this would be the next area to check.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:12 AM   #5

Doesn't appear to be any breaker in my diagram before the gen starter. You're going to have to find it (gen starter) and follow wires. I'm guessing something cut or bad ground (broken ground). Attached is diagram.

If it won't start from gen or inside, that "starter box" in the diagram is what you have to find.

There is a breaker between the house battery and starter, but because it doesn't work inside or outside, I'd focus on that starter box, perhaps that ground on the starter box.
Attached Thumbnails
gen.jpg  
Old 02-14-2023, 04:15 AM   #6

On my 2006 Jayco, the generator "+" lead does not go through the solenoid; it has a direct connection to the house battery. Follow that lead to the gen to see if that is good. Then check for a generator ground.

Since the generator itself plus the control panel do not start the gen, I suspect it has to be a power or ground issue feeding the gen.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote