Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #1

2021 E450 Engine Saga Continues

If any of you have 2021 E450 chassis and have received Safety Recall Notice 22S08/NTSA Recall 22V089, GET IT LOOKED AT QUICKLY.

Some of you may remember my post last year when the Hydroboost line in our 2021 Greyhawk 27U popped out as I was crossing the Canada/US border into Alaska on a solo jaunt, then was stranded in Tok for a week waiting for Ford to send a replacement part.

The power steering pressure line in the 2021 is quick-connected to the brake Hydroboost unit, which means any violent vibration or extreme movement will pop it out.

Happened AGAIN last week-- I cranked my wheel to the left stop, hard, and THUNK...no power steering or brakes, and I was rewarded with a sprayed engine bay for the second time.

Extra-fun here in Alaska where there are zero Ford Commercial dealers in Anchorage. I have the option of Ford towing it 360 miles to Fairbanks or finding someone good in Anchorage to service it who isn't booked out for 90 days. There goes our Spring camping season.

Josh

2021 Greyhawk 27U
907-Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:03 PM   #2

I took my 2021 in last week for this recall. No repair/replace needed. Sure hope no repair/replace is "actually" needed, after learning of your experience.

Complained to myself about having to drive 65 miles to nearest Ford truck dealer. 360 miles?, now can appreciate my relatively short distance.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #3
AHW

Took mine to the dealer last week. Said it “passed the inspection”. Hope that’s true.
AHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:23 AM   #4

Mine went in a few weeks ago; they did replace the hoses.

Now for the life of me I can’t tell if this has always been there or not, but I swear there is a whirring or whistling sound coming from the dash. Not incredibly loud, and you really only hear it at idle. And I can’t hear it when I pop the hood.

Who knows?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:26 AM   #5

Had my 2021 30z in last week and they inspected the components and said everything looked good, no repairs needed. They also updated the software in the ABS for the AdvaceTrac issue, although I never had a problem or received the error message.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #6

Ford Commercial really crapped the bed on this one. My options are:

- Let them tow it 360 miles to Fairbanks, nearest Ford Commercial dealer
- Get it serviced by a 3P garage here in Anchorage (towing at my expense) and hope they reimburse me.

Most garages I have called won't touch it because they don't want the liability. The two who will talk to me are booked out for weeks.

Thanks, Ford!!!
Old 05-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907-Jayco View Post
Ford Commercial really crapped the bed on this one. My options are:

- Let them tow it 360 miles to Fairbanks, nearest Ford Commercial dealer
- Get it serviced by a 3P garage here in Anchorage (towing at my expense) and hope they reimburse me.

Most garages I have called won't touch it because they don't want the liability. The two who will talk to me are booked out for weeks.

Thanks, Ford!!!
If it's covered under the recall, let them tow it. It's not Ford's fault the shops around that area don't/can't work on it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
If it's covered under the recall, let them tow it. It's not Ford's fault the shops around that area don't/can't work on it.
Sure...then it's a $160 plane ticket to Fairbanks and $200 in gas to drive it back. Suddenly the $200 I'm paying to have it towed in Anchorage makes more sense.

But you're right. The real root of my frustration, reading up the thread, is that it looks like at least a couple people are saying they took it in and Ford said no replacement was necessary. I'll be upset if that's the case when our rig is finally hauled in.