Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

2021 red hawk SE 22C

We picked up our 22C today. Were surprised to find out it is powered by the 6.6l chevy V8. What kind of mileage are you getting?
Bob-ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
You are the first I have heard that has the 6.6 Chevy. Are there any other new cockpit features like bluetooth, emergency braking, smart cruise control etc.?

We have a 2021 22A with the 6.0.
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

Don't have any special cockpit amenities. We have added a garmin 725 gps RV unit that provides notification of potential crash plus lane departure warning and has built in dash cam.
Bob-ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

I've got the same model.... on my latest trip i got anywhere from high 8mpg to mid 11mpg
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:21 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thdwarf View Post
I've got the same model.... on my latest trip i got anywhere from high 8mpg to mid 11mpg
Cannot find a listing anywhere for a Garmin 725 GPS. Advise?
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #6

We have the same model

Howdy, we drove ~3300 miles to Montana glacier this summer, took a long route. Anyways I keep it at just below 65 mph when I am on a free way, and don’t push it too much going uphill. We averaged 11.2 miles per gallon. Let me know if you have any questions on this model, maybe I have already fixed it.
whowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:14 PM   #7

well, the circuit breaker box just about caught on fire, loos A/C breaker, large drawer under the cook top kept flying open, drawer in bedroom off track on first long trip, 6500 miles.... and Fresh water tank won't keep water... first 3 items fixed at dealer (2 months ��) they couldn't fix the water tank so I fixed that and on a shake down run now.... water holds without any issues so far. Circuit beakers holding and not overheating and drawers are staying shut.... ����
Old 10-21-2021, 06:12 AM   #8

8thdwarf - I had not heard of issues with leaking water tank, what was the issue? I have fixed the drawer already, still waiting for the water heater connection to leak. Last fix was the gas fuel tank fill hose to the gas tank was leaking when filling, but that was a easy fix (loose hose clamps at each end).
Retired
whowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:51 PM   #9

We have a 2021 Redhawk SE 22C with the 6.6L Chevy and got 10.5MPG averaging 70MPH, not towing anything. Seems pretty good on the MPG and seems to handle OK too. So far happy with this unit. Need some warranty work but normal issues. Would be nice to know how to keep the water tank full while driving?
watchmerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #10

For loss of water from the fresh water tanks, (there are 2) I added a manifold with a 3/4" ball valve.... works great! just got back from a 3 day boondocking shake down run... have reminder signs in a lot of places so i don't forget to open or close the valve...
Attached Thumbnails
jayco water tank vent.jpg   Jayco water tank vent exterior.jpg  
Old 10-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #11

Thanks. I like the water manifold and valve idea. Would be nice if Jayco had a solution that could be fixed under warranty.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #12

For those of you who have either the new SE 22C or an earlier model, how does it drive, handle?

Earlier this year, I briefly had [5 months] the brother unit, a 2018 22J built on the Ford chassis. Pretty much everything I wanted since I wanted to move from a TT. Unfortunately it handled pretty poorly. It felt top heavy and really felt like it wanted to lean when going around curves. Never could get used to it, so I sold it and moved back to a TT.

Do the Chevy based units also have a pronounced body roll? If so, can the body roll be fixed by throwing money at it?

Thanks

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
For those of you who have either the new SE 22C or an earlier model, how does it drive, handle?

... If so, can the body roll be fixed by throwing money at it?

Thanks
Yes, the body roll can be fixed with $. I fixed the ride on my E-E450 based 31FS by upgrading the front and rear sway bars, and adjusting the Helwig helper springs (which were set very far from optimal). Many folks here say that a steering stabilizer should also be added/upgraded, but I skipped that step. I am very satisfied with the way my RV handles now.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #14

I had my rig on for warranty repairs and this issue was #2 on the list of 6 total... 2 months at the dealership ��.. all minor except for the electrial breakers and plastic panel melting... they said they couldn't could repair it and if you look in the owners manual it states that it will loose water ( don't remember exact wording) bottom line, Jayco ain't going to fix it. It's a design flaw, IMO, due with having 2 water tanks. A smaller one, lower and forward, of the main tank where the pump is located...
Old 10-25-2021, 10:01 PM   #15

The Chevy C4500 Express chassis seems fine around corners and doesn't have much body roll. The sway bars both front and rear seem pretty heavy duty to me. After I had an alignment done, it handles much better. You can definitely feel trucks passing and when it's windy, you can feel this too, however, this is normal. I'm happy with the handling and haven't even added a steering stabilizer yet. If you can road test this unit 'on the Chevy Chassis you may like it. The electronics are not as sophisticated as the Ford, I suppose there are always trade-offs.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:04 PM   #16

We recently purchased a 2020 Redhawk SE 22C (on the Chevy Express 4500 chassis), and I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well it handled on the drive home, and on subsequent local drives while getting myself and my wife used to driving it. First off, the Chevy cab is quite a bit roomier than the Ford. It's about 6 inches longer and all of that appears to be in the cab area. Yeah, it's a more "basic" vehicle (fewer fancy toys), but it's actually a quite pleasant environment. I had found the Ford cab models to be extremely cramped for me.

As for driving dynamics, there is a bit of "body roll" when a big truck passes (or when you pass one), but it does not seem to actually move the coach around in the lane very much (if at all) - it just kind of leans away from the other vehicle. And I was again pleasantly surprised by how little body roll there was when driving around our steeply crowned, very twisty country roads near our home. A LOT better than I had been led to expect!

The icing on the cake was realizing I averaged 11.5 mpg on the trip home, which included a good bit of Texas freeway, where going 70 (the speed limit) makes one feel like a moving roadblock.

On the drive, I did find I had a strong tendency to drive way too far to the right side of the lane. Since I've driven other Class Cs and never had a problem with it, I was at a loss. Then I suddenly realized that the rear-view (backup) camera display was NOT showing the "mirror image"... Instead of things on the driver's side of the lane showing up on the left side of the "mirror" they were on the right side! I pulled over and played around with the setup menu, and found a way to reverse that video image so that it looks like what a rear-view mirror would show. And as Forest Gump would say, "And just like that, I was driving in the middle of the lane again..."

I guess I was subconsciously trying to use the rear-view "mirror" to keep myself aligned in the lane, and it was showing I was off-line to the left, when I was actually off-line to the right. It was truly a weird experience!
Old 11-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #17

The room in the cab was one of the selling points in my book. I had a Gulfstream Conquest previously and traded it in on the Redhawk.... no regrets after one long trip and 3 short excursions .... only adds I put in to date was an additional coach battery and fresh water valve on the vent houses.... looking at adding leveling jacks and solar, $$ permitting .... enjoy your travels, and travel safe...
Old 11-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #18

Has anyone had an issue with the left and right side mirrors shaking while driving? I tightened the nuts holding them but still have the same problem. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #19

I've got the same issue with the right-side mirror... left-side has way less vibration .... I've kinda gotten used to it...