Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #1

Question 2022 Greyhawk 31F recommendations

We recently pick up our 2022 Greyhawk 31F and drive it home to Ca 1000+ miles. We love the look and the floor plan - perfect for our little family. We were somewhat excited about the J Ride but didn’t set out expectations too high based on the reviewers we’d read. The test drive prior to signing was good but after a few hundred miles our high expectations turned low. The drive was rough, bumpy, getting pushed by semi and struggling with high winds. We recently added the sumo springs and it helped a little.

We’re looking for upgrade recommendations to help with the drive. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.
MAV Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't own one but if you take a look at the threads in the class C section, there is much discussion of what helps and what does not. Other may chime in who have more first hand knowledge.
Here is one with a lot of info: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1045082

Welcome to JOF -BTW
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #3

We have the exact floorplan in our 2021 Redhawk 31F and it handles quite well for its size. It does have a very slight wander in the front steering, but that is really no different than my Ford dually and Excursion. Fords are known for the caster specs being on the low side. I understand that it's not going to handle like a sports car.

If you want, you could have a shop put in more positive caster in the front end alignment. It would be more than what Ford specifies, but it will improve the handling. The turning of the wheel would be a bit heavier, though.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #4

I have a 2020 Redhawk 31F and the ride quality was about the only thing I didn’t have to fix. I feel it rides and handles about as good as a Class C can. They’re heavy and boxy, so maybe my expectations aren’t too high, but I don’t expect it to handle like my suburban or even my pickup for that matter. I have come across many discussions on alignment, so that might be a good place to start.
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #5

We test drove a 2014 31FK when we were shopping and it was like riding a whale. You didn't steer it, you aimed and prayed. It porpoised over every small bump.

We then test drove a 2016 31FK and it had no issues. It drives like a big van.

Both were stock, and I've always wondered what could drive such dramatic differences. One was truly terrifying. The other, no big whoop.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:26 PM   #6

2300 miles in

The kids love the bunks and the additional room helps with friends that tag along. The J ride hellwig helper springs are installed without the box installed. I found them rather loose and tightened them up which helped the ride. Its not a finely tuned sports car but it handles well for a 12k lb box. The godzilla engine is awesome, we were in shenandoah national park and there was plenty of power to accelerate up hills and enough to slow down without brakes.

Wishes for changes:

I wish they would have placed a switch near the entrance for ceiling lighting. The first trip i air bound the water pump when the fresh water tank went empty. I had to use the city tank fill and then city water pressure to prime the system. Improve the closure systems on the drawers, these open often. Once you are over 65mph it is hard to hear someone behind the drivers seat without yelling. Its a lot of road noise. We had a connection get loose on the hot water heater thermostat.

We got back from a 1300 mile trip and I would purchase the rig again. Its not perfect but it seems to be a good value.
uberpain21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:44 AM   #7

Yes! Jayco not installing a light switch near the entrance blows my mind. One of these days I’ll add something, but that’s about halfway down the to-do list.
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV Travels View Post
We recently pick up our 2022 Greyhawk 31F and drive it home to Ca 1000+ miles. We love the look and the floor plan - perfect for our little family. We were somewhat excited about the J Ride but didn’t set out expectations too high based on the reviewers we’d read. The test drive prior to signing was good but after a few hundred miles our high expectations turned low. The drive was rough, bumpy, getting pushed by semi and struggling with high winds. We recently added the sumo springs and it helped a little.

We’re looking for upgrade recommendations to help with the drive. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.
First thing is get an alignment. It is likely the vehicle has toe out in the front which will cause it to wander.

Get the alignment done with it at full capacity. The more you load it up the higher the front end will be and make the toe out worse.

If you have a greyhawk it should already have the upgraded sway bar in the back, but you'll need to get someone to check the hellwig helper springs in the rear. Mine were loose from the factory. Good luck finding someone.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #9

I changed caster camber cams to 4 positive caster and added safe t stabilizer shock! Cured 90% of problems!!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote