Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #1

29' MV Hydraulic leveling questions

Moved up from towing to 2017 Greyhawk 29' MV. learning curve is new and my questions are about the hydraulic leveling system.

• Is it necessary to put something under the jacks before putting them down?
• Is is necessary to put bubble levels on the outside of the MH (like I did with the travel trailer)?
• Is there an occasion when you would use level ramps under the front wheels before activating the level system?
• Is it recommended that you put down the jacks before putting out the sides?

Thanks in advance for your patience as I "muddle through" my new learning curve!

Ogione1
ogione1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #2

Depends on the ground. I've used pad on grass, never on gravel or firm flat dirt

I never use any bubbles. I tell by my outside stove, if it's level, and water in a pan on the stove. As long as my eggs don't run to the edge of my pan....it's level for me

U never want your rear tires off the ground, that's yer brakes..I never worry much about the fronts though

Always level before opening slides
And retract slides before retract jacks

Have fun
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogione1 View Post
Moved up from towing to 2017 Greyhawk 29' MV. learning curve is new and my questions are about the hydraulic leveling system.

• Is it necessary to put something under the jacks before putting them down?
• Is is necessary to put bubble levels on the outside of the MH (like I did with the travel trailer)?
• Is there an occasion when you would use level ramps under the front wheels before activating the level system?
• Is it recommended that you put down the jacks before putting out the sides?

Thanks in advance for your patience as I "muddle through" my new learning curve!

Ogione1

- I use snap pad on the leveler feet. The are semi-permanent and make a world of difference. They sell them online. I think i paid $150 not sure what they cost now, but they are a good investment.

- I have a 2' level i put on the floor next to the leveler control panel. My recommendation is learn to manually level the coach with the key pad. Took me 2 years to come around to this method, auto-level is a PITA. A tip: get the coach dead-on level then reprogram the level set. LCI has videos on this on their website. A lot of button pushing, but not hard to do. It will be worth it when you manually level at each set up.

- Occasionally i still use blocks under the tires if the site is a mess level-wise. I also have extra pads to put under the snap pads so that the level pistons don't extend out of stroke on bad sites

-You'll hear varying opinions on this subject, but I always level before extending the slides and pull them in before i retract the levelers. No point in putting extra stress on the rollers or motors.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #4

My books for 2018 29mv says no wheels should be off the ground. I size up spot and use blocks wherever needed under wheels before hydraulic leveling. I also use blocks under hydraulic pads to make hydraulic extensions shorter. Seems more stable when moving around inside
Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer View Post
My books for 2018 29mv says no wheels should be off the ground. I size up spot and use blocks wherever needed under wheels before hydraulic leveling. I also use blocks under hydraulic pads to make hydraulic extensions shorter. Seems more stable when moving around inside

The manual is the guide to follow. Never let the wheels dangle off the ground, especially the rear wheels, you can twist the frame if you're not careful. The further out the hydraulic rams are extended the more the flex (wobble) so your use of block to shorten the stroke will add to stability and is right on target.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #6

I got one of those cheap bullseye levels and put it on the center console while level. That let's me easily figure out when I'm near level before I pick the final parking spot. I usually put wooden blocks under the jacks, but not necessarily if it's a firm surface and near level. I prefer to be near level before I put the jacks down so will drive up on blocks if necessary for a poor site. And finally, I never move the slides in or out unless the jacks are down and MH is level. There are lots of opinions on all of these, so decide for yourself what you want to do. I'm only saying what I do...
Old 11-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply. Every bit helps!
ogione1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic levelers