Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #1

Battery disconnect

I can't turn off the battery power at the switch. Every time I try to turn it off it blows the fuse on the solenoid. Any help on what's going on ?
Rick Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #2

This is on a 2005 Jayco Granite Ridge. When the fuse blows on the solenoid, it also enables the radio.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Always been an issue or just start? Anything change?

What solenoid are you referencing?

Sounds like some wires are crossed, positive/negative, perhaps to radio which is why it triggers on - it sees power.

Radio works with the disconnect off?
Old 05-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #4

It was working fine. Went to turn on the radio and it didn't work. I was taking the motor home back to storage and when I pushed the Battery Disconnect nothing happened. So I cleaned the house batteries and cables (they are fully charged). I noticed the solenoid behind the battery slide out tray had a fuse. It was blown so I changed it, radio worked, as soon as I pushed the Disconnect, it would blow the fuse again. radio didn't work and power did not disconnect. I believe it's the solenoid (Latching Relay) thoughts???
Old 05-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #5

Yea, that solenoid should be the house battery disconnect. Hit the switch and it cuts off power to the entire RV. I suppose with the fuse blown it doesn't work (on/off).

Sounds like its either a short or the solenoid. Googling it seems those solenoids can fail open or closed and cause the fuse to blow.

If you have an old solenoid and you plan on doing it yourself, I'd buy a new solenoid first for $40 and wire it up before I started looking for a short.

You may already have, but also ensure terminals are clean, remove negative connection on batteries for 1 min to 'reset' the solenoid and if you don't want to spend $40, there are ways to test the solenoid functionality (just google 'test battery disconnect solenoid) but it will take more work than just replacing it.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #6

Thank you so much for the help. I will start off by replacing the solenoid. looks pretty easy to do and it's old and rusty.

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #7

Have the same motorhome. Replacement on Amazon, adds circuit board to prevent your problem.https://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-DISCO...YCO-LR9806JBIP
Charles Lee is offline   Reply With Quote