Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Eagle View Post
Let us know how are Jayco handles pulling the GMC Canyon.

Will do. The tow bar and based plate was delivered this morning. Time for me to get busy.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #22

Quote:
I looked at the curb weight of our explorer which is around 4800 pounds. From what I can find about the new Ford bronco it’s curb weight is very similar maybe two or 300 pounds less depending upon what we put in it. I’m surprised at the weight of the Jeep. I was thinking that it might be less
The Grand Cherokee was definitely a "porker" for its size; 6500 lbs GVWR. But it towed very nicely behind the 29MV. The JLU has GVWR of 5400 lbs, and is probably right around 4700 lbs in tow? Maybe a little less? According to the stickers, GVWR of 5400 less "Weight of occupants & Cargo" of 850 = 4550. And I haven't added a lot of accessories to my JLU (yet).

For the Bronco, did you order the 2dr or the 4dr? I think even a fully loaded 4-dr will probably not overly tax the Greyhawk in general. If you are in the hills/mountains a lot, it might get a little heavy, but the Greyhawk will do it.

Your Greyhawk probably has the new V-8? I know my V-10 will pull all day long. Won't win any races, but it'll just keep going so long as you keep feeding it (and it DOES get THIRSTY!).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Appreciate all the information and we are looking to definitely flat towing, and our 2019 Ford Explorer can be flat toed but it’s pretty heavy.
2019 Explorer is what we are towing now.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #24

We tow my wife’s Acura RDX with a tow dolly. It handles about as good as anything else would. Gets a little weird when we pass a truck though. Taking a trip to Northern California in June without the car so I’ll have a better feel for handling.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
We tow my wife’s Acura RDX with a tow dolly. It handles about as good as anything else would. Gets a little weird when we pass a truck though. Taking a trip to Northern California in June without the car so I’ll have a better feel for handling.
We just drove from Central Montana to Minnesota with a tremendous tailwind most of the way until we got past Fargo Morehead and then headed south east and the crossed wind was quite profound. The buffeting was pretty pronounced. We are going to flat tow whatever it is we end up getting.
Flying Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
2019 Explorer is what we are towing now.
How does the Greyhawk do towing the explorer?
Old 05-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #27
CAG

This really gets down to what you plan to do. We trail ride and back road a bunch. The Jeep sees more off road than on. When I started out I was not sure which way to go. I had a Duramax crewcab but that was a lot of weight to tow with the Greyhawk. We had sold the 5th wheel toy hauler and were going in a different direction. I looked at a Colorado but you cannot trail ride with that or other low slung vehicles. You tear the front cowling off, or slam the oil pan into a rock.

It came down to a Jeep because of the clearance and the ease of tow set up. It is so easy to get the Jeep set up to tow that there was nothing that came close. My wife worried about whether I would be able to cope without a diesel, but the Jeep has become my back road, and bad road friend. Nothing stops it except the driver's fear of what he sees on the road in-front and there have been a couple that have made me stop and think before I ventured forward.

I also have to say that my wife has no fear when it comes to bad roads. Put it in 4WD Lo and go for it.

So, if you are just going to venture around town upon arrival, go for something simple but if you plan to explore, test and have an adventure, Jeep.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #28

Quote:
How does the Greyhawk do towing the explorer?
I don't have any problem. You are only supposed to go 65 so I just set the cruise and ride. It will slow down on some hills but not a problem. It was the car we already had so that is what we used.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
I don't have any problem. You are only supposed to go 65 so I just set the cruise and ride. It will slow down on some hills but not a problem. It was the car we already had so that is what we used.
Sounds good, and we probably will go with our Explorer too, if the Bronco delivery is pushed out to next year.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
This really gets down to what you plan to do. We trail ride and back road a bunch. The Jeep sees more off road than on. When I started out I was not sure which way to go. I had a Duramax crewcab but that was a lot of weight to tow with the Greyhawk. We had sold the 5th wheel toy hauler and were going in a different direction. I looked at a Colorado but you cannot trail ride with that or other low slung vehicles. You tear the front cowling off, or slam the oil pan into a rock.

It came down to a Jeep because of the clearance and the ease of tow set up. It is so easy to get the Jeep set up to tow that there was nothing that came close. My wife worried about whether I would be able to cope without a diesel, but the Jeep has become my back road, and bad road friend. Nothing stops it except the driver's fear of what he sees on the road in-front and there have been a couple that have made me stop and think before I ventured forward.

I also have to say that my wife has no fear when it comes to bad roads. Put it in 4WD Lo and go for it.

So, if you are just going to venture around town upon arrival, go for something simple but if you plan to explore, test and have an adventure, Jeep.
Since we are going to do very little if any offloading and will just use the toad for local driving we may end up sticking with our explorer or the bronco if we get it this year.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Let us know how are Jayco handles pulling the GMC Canyon.
Flying Eagle,

We flat tow our Chevy Colorado with our 2018 Greyhawk. Certainly on the ups it slows you down a bit but nothing concerning for me. I don't have anything to compare it to so I won't try. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

PS....We have a Bronco ordered and can't wait to have that following behind us.

Best of Luck,

Rob
Old 05-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #32

We have a 2021 Entegra Esteem 29v, same as Greyhawk 29mvp. Being a Ford person wound up buying a 2020 Escape Hybrid AWD. Wanted to keep my travel day setup simple so went with a Demco Stay n Play Duo for braking. After connecting to ths towbar just go into a menu to put it in Neutral Tow mode and flip the Demco on and we are ready to go. So far have only towed it about 200 miles and don't know it is there. Defintely handles better than towing my 26 ft trailer behind a Ram 1500.
MI_Skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobieMo View Post
Flying Eagle,

We flat tow our Chevy Colorado with our 2018 Greyhawk. Certainly on the ups it slows you down a bit but nothing concerning for me. I don't have anything to compare it to so I won't try. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

PS....We have a Bronco ordered and can't wait to have that following behind us.

Best of Luck,

Rob
Rob,
We just received our email from Ford stating that they don't know when they will be able to build our Bronco - the hard-top roof is the hold-up. So, looks like we are going to flat-tow our '19 Ford Explorer. We'll see about towing the Bronco whenever we end up getting it.

Thanks,

Flying Eagle
Old 05-31-2021, 07:36 AM   #34

My Honda pilot is fantastic

Very glad I did it as my toad
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Skibum View Post
We have a 2021 Entegra Esteem 29v, same as Greyhawk 29mvp. Being a Ford person wound up buying a 2020 Escape Hybrid AWD. Wanted to keep my travel day setup simple so went with a Demco Stay n Play Duo for braking. After connecting to ths towbar just go into a menu to put it in Neutral Tow mode and flip the Demco on and we are ready to go. So far have only towed it about 200 miles and don't know it is there. Defintely handles better than towing my 26 ft trailer behind a Ram 1500.
I'm a Ford man, myself, and was looking forward to flat-towing a new Bronco...but, since now we don't know when Ford will be able to build and ship ours, we are going to go with towing our Explorer.

I too am planning to go with the Demco Stay n Play Duo for breaking; good to hear you are using it.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
My Honda pilot is fantastic

Very glad I did it as my toad
Sounds like a good choice.

I've heard some good things about the choice we have just made - towing an Explorer, and, since we own our 2019, looks like that is our Toad for now. At least until Ford can get their Broncos built.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:27 AM   #37

We flat tow a '21 Jeep JLU Willys using the Blue Ox set-up with the Patriot III braking system.... works really well for us. We have the V10 in our Redhawk and average 5.5 MPG when we tow.
jmcgarvey36b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #38

Thanks for that information. We are planning on going with flat towing our ‘19 Ford Explorer using Demco set-up. We have been averaging 9.5 miles per gallon since we purchased our Greyhawk three and a half weeks ago, and we have already put 4000 miles on it. I expect that we will probably average 5.5 miles per gallon when we tow, as well.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #39

Quote:
I'm a Ford man, myself, and was looking forward to flat-towing a new Bronco...but, since now we don't know when Ford will be able to build and ship ours, we are going to go with towing our Explorer.

I too am planning to go with the Demco Stay n Play Duo for breaking; good to hear you are using it.

Thanks.
...make that "...Demco Stay n Play Duo for braking..."
Old 06-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #40

Versatility

It doesn’t sound like a Jeep truck would interest you as a TOAD, but we tow one behind our 2020 26Y. Love the versatility. We purchased our 2020 in 2019 and it has accrued many miles behind our rig. We use Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System w/ Wireless Coachlink Monitor - Proportional.
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote