Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2022, 12:31 PM   #1

Better shocks for Melbourne?

Any recommendations for shock absorbers that'll improve the ride of a Melbourne.
Ours is a 2017 Melbourne 24M, with an all-stock suspension.
Questions:
** Would new shocks make enough of a difference to be noticeable?
** Is replacing the old shocks a DIY, with two people?
** Any specific brands that are worth the money and the work?
Thank you...
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #2

I've seen lots of recommendations on here as regards shocks. I put in a Helwig anti-sway bar, and Sumo Springs on front and back. This helps the side to side a lot. But shocks will be next for me.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #3

Look to see if KONI is available. Little pricey, but well worth the money.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #4

Hands down the BEST shocks you will see.

https://agileoffroad.com/product/agi...00-rv-class-c/
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
Any recommendations for shock absorbers that'll improve the ride of a Melbourne.
Questions:
Thank you...
What is wrong with the ride now? Shocks only stop the springs from going up and down. Do you go over a bump and it just keeps bouncing?
Old 02-25-2022, 04:33 PM   #6

Bill: Good question.
It rocks and sways a lot. I figure better shocks would alleviate that.
I've considered Sumo springs but at the moment am leaning toward shocks, if anything at all.
I also figure that OEM shocks, which might be worn out at 45,000 miles and 4+ years (?) are just allowing the body to sway back and forth a shorter distance...?...
I also figure the OEM shocks were low end...
I also think, based on nothing, that MB/Jayco did not install the equivalent of Sumo springs for a reason, and thus their value would be limited...?
And, I could be thinking too much about all this....
Old 02-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Bill: Good question.
It rocks and sways a lot. I figure better shocks would alleviate that.
I've considered Sumo springs but at the moment am leaning toward shocks, if anything at all.
I also figure that OEM shocks, which might be worn out at 45,000 miles and 4+ years (?) are just allowing the body to sway back and forth a shorter distance...?...
I also figure the OEM shocks were low end...
I also think, based on nothing, that MB/Jayco did not install the equivalent of Sumo springs for a reason, and thus their value would be limited...?
And, I could be thinking too much about all this....
Stiffer shocks give a Stiffer ride. If they make shocks like the ones on a corvette that can ride like a Cadillac when normal driving and and a sports car when cornering, changing 1,000 times a second. Some shocks are just a larger diameter and smaller valving inside, great for cornering but every tar strip shakes the whole motorhome
Old 02-25-2022, 07:11 PM   #8

Say what you will, the Sumos made a massive difference for me - along with the anti-sway bar. It stops the tug and pull from Semis and the wobble in and out of lots. Holds the road. Great shocks will make a difference too. You have to decide how soft or hard you want the ride. All are tradeoffs. The Sumos come in two stiffness as well.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #9

I just remember when I took off the OEM shocks on my Jeep Wrangler and bolted on midpriced Bilstein shocks: The OEMs had very little compression resistance and very little rebound resistance. The Bilsteins had steady compression and rebound.
Which makes me think new and better shocks would provide less-sudden up and down movement and coach swaying. The resistance of the shocks would diminish the extremes of a worn out or low-end shock, I figure.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:23 PM   #10

Better Shocks

Quote:
Questions:
Thank you...
Hi, I replaced the Rear shocks with Bilstein 46MM #24-167161, I also added a new (Much Thicker) Sway bar, a Hellwig, (Very Nice piece, Also added Sumo Springs, (Front and Rear)! This improved the Ride and "Driveway Rock" 10 Fold! It took me a couple hours to install and cost about $1050.00 total for parts! This was a Safety measure for us and well worth the money spent. If your not handy someone on here had this work done for between $1500.00 and $1800.00! I am so Happy we did it, the Ride is Great now! Also on the Sumo Springs I did the 500# on the front and 1200# on the rear. Its a bit stiffer ride but well worth doing!Good Luck!
72buickgsconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
I've seen lots of recommendations on here as regards shocks. I put in a Helwig anti-sway bar, and Sumo Springs on front and back. This helps the side to side a lot. But shocks will be next for me.
ditto with my Melbourne 24L, drives easier that my car even when huge tractor-trailers go by!
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #12

Yeah KenS - I think shocks are a great idea but I recommend the easy and cheaper mods first. I figure I'll have to change shocks before too long anyway. You can't really explain to anyone about the Sumos until you really try them. I'm certain the anti-sway bar makes a huge difference as it is so much more robust than the original. But I held the road well through some storms coming down to Arizona from Minnesota. Now I have to make a run across the country back to the East Coast. I got the yellows on the back and the blacks on the front. I would have liked to have tried the blue on the front first but I love the handling. I still get some pull but not anything like before. It's virtually a different rig.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
Yeah KenS - I think shocks are a great idea but I recommend the easy and cheaper mods first. I figure I'll have to change shocks before too long anyway. You can't really explain to anyone about the Sumos until you really try them. I'm certain the anti-sway bar makes a huge difference as it is so much more robust than the original. But I held the road well through some storms coming down to Arizona from Minnesota. Now I have to make a run across the country back to the East Coast. I got the yellows on the back and the blacks on the front. I would have liked to have tried the blue on the front first but I love the handling. I still get some pull but not anything like before. It's virtually a different rig.
The Bilstein Shocks were only $234.00 for rear. I'm Going to also put front Bilstein Struts too just need to wait a bit because it will need an Alignment then also!
72buickgsconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #14

I have a set of Konis for sale. Used them for about 4 months.

These are for an E450 and have FSD.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:55 PM   #15
TnK

Quote:
Questions:
Thank you...
The sway when being passed (or passing an 18-wheeler) was so bad on our 2022 Melbourne 24L that I did my suspension upgrades after our first short trip.
I did the SUMO springs on all 4 corners, Hellwig 1 1/2” (model 7777) rear sway bar, and Bilstein 46mm shocks. Total cost was under $1300, install was DIY and took about 90 minutes by myself laying on my shore floor.

The upgrade was worth every single penny. The unit corners like a dream, the sway is reduced by over 90% and the ride (from the shocks) is very smooth.
Wife is happy and I’m very satisfied.

FYI…I ordered the shocks and sway bar on Amazon and the Sumo springs direct from the manufacturer.
TnK is offline   Reply With Quote