Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #1

Bilstien steering stablizer

Has anyone installed the Blistien on their 450 class c yet?
I know about the safe t plus and road master brands, just asking I see these are 1/2 the price. Thanks
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafreek View Post
Has anyone installed the Blistien on their 450 class c yet?
I know about the safe t plus and road master brands, just asking I see these are 1/2 the price. Thanks
My guess they are half the price is because they look just like the stock OEM Ford stabilizer. You get what you pay for. The Roadmaster Reflex gives you more in it's design package, that's why it cost more. The Reflex is worth every dollar.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 PM   #3

I installed the Road Master on a gas class a f53 ford chassis. First i took it to a truck alignment shop and boy was it way off. Then i had them install the road master. Very happy.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #4

I had a Bilstein on my rig. It worked very well and the price was right.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

The difference is that the Bilstein is a steering damper, not a true stabilizer.

A damper is nothing more than a shock absorber. As such it is designed to "dampen" the fluctuations in the steering. The Safe T Steer and the Roadmaster (both true stabilizers) include additional spring that puts constant force on the steering, always pulling it back to center AS WELL AS a dampening affect.

Granted, the Bilstein is better than what Ford puts on there, but IMO, it's worth it to go with a true stabilizer as opposed to just an upgraded damper.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

Bilstein vs Roadmaster Reflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
My guess they are half the price is because they look just like the stock OEM Ford stabilizer. You get what you pay for. The Roadmaster Reflex gives you more in it's design package, that's why it cost more. The Reflex is worth every dollar.
Definitely X2 on that !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #7

JOPOSY Thanks That what I wanted to know.
I wasn't sure if it was just and oem replacement close to the factory spec, Or it was perhaps heavy duty.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #8

I installed the Hell Wig front swaybar last week and took a short trip to local campground about 50 miles round trip and I noticed a difference with just it installed.
Mainly when on the interstate ramps exiting or entrance Less body roll for sure.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Now go install the Roadmaster Reflex and the rear Hellwig, and you'll see that the rig doesn't want to take off on you when you hit ruts, patches and rough roads and will be even more stable on the rolling.

I knew there was something wrong with the handling on these rigs the way they were delivered, but I NEVER expected to see/feel such a BIG difference after these upgrades... It's literally two fingers to control the rig, flying down the highway at 70+
Old 08-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Now go install the Roadmaster Reflex and the rear Hellwig, and you'll see that the rig doesn't want to take off on you when you hit ruts, patches and rough roads and will be even more stable on the rolling.

I knew there was something wrong with the handling on these rigs the way they were delivered, but I NEVER expected to see/feel such a BIG difference after these upgrades... It's literally two fingers to control the rig, flying down the highway at 70+

All joking aside , I hope you feel blessed that you can to 70 mph because that speed and our crappy roads has my cab rattling and drive train humming so bad I am losing my freaking mind. I. AM. JEALOUS!!!
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
All joking aside , I hope you feel blessed that you can to 70 mph because that speed and our crappy roads has my cab rattling and drive train humming so bad I am losing my freaking mind. I. AM. JEALOUS!!!
Ha.... actually I have to keep watching myself or it creeps up to 75... but in my regular truck, it's a fight to keep it under 82+... so at 70 - 75, it feels like I'm crawling...

But, you know where that comes from, right?? "Go fast, turn left"!

I actually have very few rattles, if any, I searched them out, and stopped them, my drive train is fine, and now with the handling fixed, the rig drives really well. Even wifey commented on it last time out.

The general road noise and lack of insulation sucks, so having a conversation can be difficult at highway speed, along with listening to music. But that's due to the wall construction, not much that can be done about that.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #12

Ya, finding any and all sources of preventable noise is an ongoing mission for me.

Just this week, I fixed my screen door. The metal "kick" panel on the bottom was rattling. A couple strips of black Gorilla tape and it's all fixed up.

On our next trip I'll likely be troubleshooting a squeak in the area over my head between the OH cab and the chassis cab.

It reminds me of National Lampoons Vacation when they first start driving out of Chicago and there's that incessant squeak!! But mine's not nearly that bad; probably just a trim screw needs tightening.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #13

I'll tell you guys if you have a humming noise I chased that sum bitch for day and many test rides.
Take your unit to a driveline shop and get them to check you drive shaft alignment. If its at the wrong angle it causes this.
They re shimmed the hanger bearing and problem solved
Old 08-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #14

Quote:
I'll tell you guys if you have a humming noise I chased that sum bitch for day and many test rides.
Take your unit to a driveline shop and get them to check you drive shaft alignment. If its at the wrong angle it causes this.
Yup, that's one noise I don't have. But I've heard that could be an issue, so if I ever DO hear it, it's going to a drive line shop first.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #15

Quote:
I can't recall if this was previously answered, but do I contact Jayco first and attempt to get this warrantied or am I likely screwed?
Old 08-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #16

I called Jayco and I think they made a record of it. Then I brought it to the driveline shop and they in turn called Jayco got the authorization to do the job. My unit only had 2100miles on it. They actually changed the hanger bearing (asm.) and pulled out several shims that where in it from the factory threw them in the garbage and made a world of difference. Noise gone.
I was about to trade the unit in and loose my ass. I could not believe the driver drove it from Indina to Louisiana and never made note of this upon delivery. I think the total ticket was $375 or so.
Oh yea be Nice to Mr. "Jayco" or the Rep you get.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #17

Quote:
I called Jayco and I think they made a record of it. Then I brought it to the driveline shop and they in turn called Jayco got the authorization to do the job. My unit only had 2100miles on it. They actually changed the hanger bearing (asm.) and pulled out several shims that where in it from the factory threw them in the garbage and made a world of difference. Noise gone.
I was about to trade the unit in and loose my ass. I could not believe the driver drove it from Indina to Louisiana and never made note of this upon delivery. I think the total ticket was $375 or so.
Oh yea be Nice to Mr. "Jayco" or the Rep you get.
Can you give me the name of your shop just in case I end up chasing my tail? Not sure if I will find anything close to home. The only drive line shop in Jackson, MS said no way, they will never work on another motor home again. He said take it back to where ever they built it. I said in Indiana? He said sure, just don't bring it in here. I am so please with the work force down here. No wonder I wish I could fix everything myself.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
No wonder I wish I could fix everything myself.
Hmmmm, I wonder if there's a Youtube video for that???
Old 08-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #19

Actually The shop I brought it too told me to crawl up under it with a protractor I think. Anyway a tool that measures angles. They told me how to check it myself. But as soon as I visually inspected it I could tell something didn't look right. The last section of driveshaft was not at the same angle as it started from the tail housing of the Transmission.
It actually sloped down to hanger bearing.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Actually The shop I brought it too told me to crawl up under it with a protractor I think. Anyway a tool that measures angles. They told me how to check it myself. But as soon as I visually inspected it I could tell something didn't look right. The last section of driveshaft was not at the same angle as it started from the tail housing of the Transmission.
It actually sloped down to hanger bearing.

Mine does not look right either. It looks shimmed where it should not be. I don't know if I have the stones to remove the shim, I probably better take it somewhere dang it.