Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I never really understood the wisdom of loading a Jayco Class 'C' as you would use it prior to getting aligned. The CCC on most of these rigs is so stingy as it is, most of them are close to max just sitting there on the lot.

You don't read anything in the Ford or Dodge manual stating you should align the truck after you drop 2k pounds of payload in it.

I put items in my coach but I don't sweat having it 'packed' prior to aligning it. Its already packed close enough. Now, if I had a Class 'A' with 4k pounds of CCC or something like that maybe I could see the value in it.

Just my 2 cents.

It really comes down to the twin I beam front suspension of the Econoline series. I have experience with them back into the 70's before they had adjustable bushing and it took a great alignment guy to work with them as they had to bend the arms to make adjustment. The reason for the load and align is because the overhand past the rear axle varies so much on Class C models and the more weight added past the rear axle the worst it unloads the front axle and with the twin I beam front suspension this affects the caster/camber drastically.

When you get a truck from Ford or Dodge, they have already calculated the load rating and control the length of the overhand past the rear axle and the correct way to load a pickup is over the axle which is the center of the bed.

Like Harvard said, you need to make sure that caster/camber and toe is all adjusted correctly.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #22

Quote:
I never really understood the wisdom of loading a Jayco Class 'C' as you would use it prior to getting aligned. The CCC on most of these rigs is so stingy as it is, most of them are close to max just sitting there on the lot.
Most RV E-350/450 chassis are stretched for the various manufacturers. That is done based on which floor-plan or box size is ordered. JAYCO uses Mor-Ryde to do the modifications. So factory settings for most alignments are mute.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 PM   #23

I would call Jayco again and submit your paid alignment invoice, along with before and after alignment reports, for reimbursement. I was also originally denied, however, after some persistance and very polite conversation, Jayco paid for my alignment. FYI, it was 5 months after I took delivery. And you do need plus caster in the 5.5 to 6.0 range to correct the problem, at least that is what worked wonders for my rig.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 02-26-2019, 07:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
It really comes down to the twin I beam front suspension of the Econoline series. I have experience with them back into the 70's before they had adjustable bushing and it took a great alignment guy to work with them as they had to bend the arms to make adjustment. The reason for the load and align is because the overhand past the rear axle varies so much on Class C models and the more weight added past the rear axle the worst it unloads the front axle and with the twin I beam front suspension this affects the caster/camber drastically.

When you get a truck from Ford or Dodge, they have already calculated the load rating and control the length of the overhand past the rear axle and the correct way to load a pickup is over the axle which is the center of the bed.

Like Harvard said, you need to make sure that caster/camber and toe is all adjusted correctly.
I understand all that, but I’ve also seen coaches with yellow stickers at 1100 pounds. Put 2 adults in the front two seats and how much more are you really putting in the rig assuming you don’t drop 650 pounds on the rear bumper? See where I’m coming from? In those instances I’d be ok with getting it aligned without really packing it.

That’s just me though.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #25

If you want to fix your problem you will have to load it to get alignment correct. That is just how it is with modified big truck chassis.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkinder View Post
Purchased 2019 Redhawk 26XD on 9/21/19. After two trips decided it had a problem with "roadwalking(drifts from side to side)!" Called dealer in early December, first availalble appointment was 2/11/19! Dealer kept for a month & we naively assumed they would fix the problem! They sent for alignment, failed to provide written report & did not fix the problem!

Called Jayco for some assistance in how to resolve this issue & was told I should have called within 90 days - they couldn't help me. Stated that I had called their AUTHORIZED DEALER within 90 days & they said dealer didn't notify them. How is that my problem - don't you train your dealers in what you need! Is it written anywhere that when I make an appointment with your dealer I am supposed to call & report to Jayco too! No wonder hold times are so long at Jayco! They were no help at all & in fact very lackadaisical & uninterested!

If this such a problem which I have to assume due to the large number of threads & responses on the owner's forum - why doesn't Jayco address it. If an aftermarket fix is needed, why doesn't the dealer call & suggest it & get authorization to proceed! After waiting two months, driving 1-1/2 for service & leaving at dealer for a month IS NOT THE PURPOSE TO FIX IT!

Very dissapointed with Jayco customer service & feel their 2 year warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on! Their JRIDE must be a joke if vehicle can't go down the road straight & Jayco doesn't care! For those of you considering buying Jayco I hope you will read this first & go elsewhere I wish I had! Once the dealer & Jayco get your $$$ they are no longer interested in your problems!

Very interesting, I have had quite the opposite experience with my dealer. I developed a punch list over the first couple of months we owned our Greyhawk, and the dealership went out of their way to make every single issue right. Jayco was prompt and professional with all parts and service that they needed to provide or approve. Great experience all around. I believe you have a dealer problem, not a Jayco problem.
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab
2004 Sunnybrook 2709 TT (Sold)
Old 05-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #27

I've had issues with the dealer & was concerned that Jayco said dealer had already had alignment done & they had paid for the alignment! We ended up taking to an alignment shop, changing the casters & adding Safe-T-Ride at our own expense. That corrected the problem.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #28

The dealer likely didn’t do anything to adjust the caster when they went to the alignment shop. Labor + getting the bushings or sleeves or whatever they need to increase caster in a E450 adds to the tab. Specifically, $110 in my case above the cost of the normal alignment.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #29

Hate to tell you this but just an alignment will not solve all your front end issues. To fix mine I added Sumo springs and a helwig anti sway bar. Also a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Lucky for me I was able to do the install. Doing the other items first solved all my issues and it drives like a dream. Alignment will be somewhere in the far future. Good luck getting your c to drive like it should. Unfortunately all class c,s have the same issue.

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #30

Quote:
I've had issues with the dealer & was concerned that Jayco said dealer had already had alignment done & they had paid for the alignment! We ended up taking to an alignment shop, changing the casters & adding Safe-T-Ride at our own expense. That corrected the problem.
Harvard is giving you good advice here. What your going through is a common teething problem with these new rigs. If you want to make it really nice, you need to essentially duplicate the J ride on a Greyhawk. When you can afford it, first add a set of Bilstein shocks. So much better than stock you won't believe it. Then a set of heavy duty set of track bars front and rear. Instead of Hellwig springs in the back, airbags are real nice. Maybe your Redhawk has some of these additions. I don't know if the Redhawks have J ride or not.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #31

I much prefer the helper springs to air bags. Adjust them once and forget about them.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #32

Quote:
I much prefer the helper springs to air bags. Adjust them once and forget about them.
That's a good point, plus the bags wear out eventually. The downside to the springs is their very heavy, the upside to the bags is their easily adjustable plus they give a better ride. But overall your probably better with the springs I agree.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #33

According to Jayco & the sticker on side of Redhawk I have J-Ride. This is a very old post & things have been resolved, albeit at our expense, by correcting the alignment & addition of Safe-T-Ride. Thanks for your reply
Old 05-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #34
TOS

jkkinder,
I assume you purchased from a camping world. If so, try contacting Camping World Customer Service via email- csteam@campingworld.com
It got me some results with warranty work.
Email gives you a record (paper trail) and they know it. Phone calls are just your word against their's.
If you purchased from dedicated Jayco dealer, send Jayco corporate an email.
Good Luck
Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #35

I might be the only person that drove my Jayco off the lot and have had absolutely no troubles with steering. I bought a 2019 Redhawk 29XD 2 years ago and absolutely love it. No issues whatsoever and drives like a dream. Maybe it's because it is not an overloaded class C as it has plenty of ccc available. Maybe I just got lucky. I don't know.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #36
TOS

Good to hear you hear you got the problem resolved.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines View Post
I might be the only person that drove my Jayco off the lot and have had absolutely no troubles with steering. I bought a 2019 Redhawk 29XD 2 years ago and absolutely love it. No issues whatsoever and drives like a dream. Maybe it's because it is not an overloaded class C as it has plenty of ccc available. Maybe I just got lucky. I don't know.
I have a theory:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber sleeves, "one size fits all". You can recognize these sleeves because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford sleeves, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #38

Quote:
According to Jayco & the sticker on side of Redhawk I have J-Ride. This is a very old post & things have been resolved, albeit at our expense, by correcting the alignment & addition of Safe-T-Ride. Thanks for your reply
Did you ever try to reach back out to Jayco directly about the timeline and the work performed?

I would have done that if I were you (and honestly, I still would even though it's been a while). Send Jayco motorized support an email detailing when you brought the issue to the dealer's attention, the fact that it was not rectified ahead of Jayco's "90-day window" through no fault of your own, along with an invoice for the properly completed alignment. Include your VIN, along with all the dealer information.

I would not expect them to cover the added gear, but I would expect them to cover the alignment. Be calm and non-adversarial; "just the facts ma'am". And logically and articulately state your justification for claiming warranty payment on this issue. Assuming you did what you said you did, you did what you were supposed to do. Make the request in writing, NOT over the phone, and provide copies of any records you have of the entire transaction and timeline. The worst they can say is "no", and you've lost virtually nothing by asking in that manner.

In my experience, they just end up sending a check in the mail.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 05-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
I have a theory:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber sleeves, "one size fits all". You can recognize these sleeves because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford sleeves, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.
Sounds logical to me. Could be the reason for most of the steering problems. Also just realized I said I had a 29XD, I meant 29XK.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #40

I did but their policy is they will pay for one alignment & since dealer sent for alignment which was a total farce & billed Jayco they refused to pay for another, better alignment.
Closed Thread