Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2018, 05:51 AM   #1

Class c ford service

We have a jayco class c with ford e450 on order. Has anyone had any difficulty getting possible warranty service at your local ford dealer?? What about general service, oil, grease and inspections. Thanks
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #2

Most Ford dealers will have nothing to do with an RV. They don't even have a bay door big enough to get the unit in the shop. You can check for a dealer using this link. https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/ . Be warned, not all dealers that show up, will work on an RV. You will have to call. I have to travel about 55 miles to a FORD dealer that will work on my unit. Good thing that the FORD chassis and powertrain are so well built. I only had to take mine in one time for a warranty repair. The oil change is very easy, so I do that myself. There is a local shop near me that works on trucks and rv's. I used them for an alignment.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

I agree that for warranty work you need to visit a Ford dealer which also handles their large trucks.
For non-warranty work, like alignments, I have used a local truck-repair shop. They often work on large RVs.
I also change my own oil.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #4

Regarding oil change, i use mobil 1 in everything. Thinking of using mobil 1 extended life 5w30 for yrly oil service
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #5

I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30 and a Motorcraft Oil Filter FL 820S. I change oil at least every 5000 miles. The engine works hard pulling the weight of the RV. Sometimes I change it sooner than 5000 if I am planning on a long trip.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #6

I realize that this makes this a Ford/Chevy question, but our Chevy dealer services our 37 ft. Seneca in the parking lot on a nice day. They do the oil and filter changes for the Cummins diesel, which was Chrysler/Daimler, and also the engine for the Cummins/Onan Generator. If you Ford Dealer won't do it, maybe an oil change facility in your area will.

Now, please understand, we live in "small town America". I am very loyal to our Chevy Dealer and have been dealing with them for over 20 years. They even serviced my old Jeep, which was a Chrysler product, and our Chrysler Town and Country Van. Yes, we
have a Chrysler Dealer in town, but their Service Department has a poor reputation and over the years I did give them a chance.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #7

Like others mentioned, you'll have to go to a dealership that handles large Ford trucks. My large truck dealership is about 20 miles away and I've been there twice to handle warranty issues. I do my own oil changes.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30 and a Motorcraft Oil Filter FL 820S. I change oil at least every 5000 miles. The engine works hard pulling the weight of the RV. Sometimes I change it sooner than 5000 if I am planning on a long trip.
+1.

we see dusty and dirty environments, so I too change it every 5-7500/

also use Mobil-1, also use FL820S

And also agree - changing the oil on the thing is super easy.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Regarding oil change, i use mobil 1 in everything. Thinking of using mobil 1 extended life 5w30 for yrly oil service
Make sure yours takes 5w30. Ours Ford V-10 takes 5w20.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #10

This is what I use. It’s what Ford recommends.
Attached Thumbnails
BBBE0184-6E12-4181-97DD-E1D286DC66A0.jpeg   EC96CCD8-76D0-413F-A34C-F49F7283039F.jpg   94A31795-82EF-44D8-9BC9-CBFFBDAE7E70.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
I realize that this makes this a Ford/Chevy question, but our Chevy dealer services our 37 ft. Seneca in the parking lot on a nice day. They do the oil and filter changes for the Cummins diesel, which was Chrysler/Daimler, and also the engine for the Cummins/Onan Generator. If you Ford Dealer won't do it, maybe an oil change facility in your area will.

Now, please understand, we live in "small town America". I am very loyal to our Chevy Dealer and have been dealing with them for over 20 years. They even serviced my old Jeep, which was a Chrysler product, and our Chrysler Town and Country Van. Yes, we
have a Chrysler Dealer in town, but their Service Department has a poor reputation and over the years I did give them a chance.
And we find this true in our larger city... Stacy purchased her Chevy Equinox at the Honda dealership here in Sandy - we take the Chevy to the Honda dealership for all of the scheduled maintenance.

Our friends took their Winnebago to the local Ford Dealership that does Fleet Service... they got it in / out in a day for scheduled maintenance at LHM Ford at the South Town Auto Center in Salt Lake City.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #12

You could get lucky on your first try at a Ford dealer with service. Quite a few of them I have dealt with are not great.

See if you can find one that will do alignments as well so you have a one stop shop.

One Ford dealer charged me almost $300 for an alignment. Granted I asked for the special caster adjusters to be installed and done to my specs, but even when they gave it back the wheel was off by about 10 degrees. Not happy; plus it took them almost a month to complete it.

The rear axle front seal was leaking. Took them 3 weeks to finish it. I have a GPS tracker on the coach and every time it was started I could see it. The job took a total of 1 hour.

Had it in one time for an A/C problem (on the van chassis) and that took 2 weeks to change a low pressure switch.

Many of them will farm out alignments to other places.

That website someone posted will help you find a dealer to go to, but past that they really can't help much. They've called once to help me when the RV was sitting there for weeks, but it never helped.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #13

I usually change my own oil (Mobile 1 once a year or 5K miles). But out of curiosity, I talked to the guys at a local Valvoline quick lube. They sell Valvoline products including a both a full and semi synthetic and are happy to do an RV. I had them do my Miata (sometimes I just prefer to have it done) and they were a bit sloppy, they used proper torque specs and such and when I complained that they did not clean up the skid plate under the engine, they came out in person and offered to clean up my garage floor (I had already done that). As noted, it is simply on our rigs, but if you don't have the place or tools, I fully understand the use of a third party or dealer.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #14

Think about subtracting (1) one quart of oil, and adding (1) quart of Lucas Oil oil treatment, to each service. I never thought it would make a difference, but you will notice it in a better running motor.
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #15

This summer my usual auto repair shop was swamped with work with a mechanic on vacation. I checked around and found a Ford dealer that did an oil change and annual inspection on my Greyhawk. The experience was excellent so I will probably use them again for oil changes and inspections. My usual repair shop doesn’t have a bay large enough for my MH so the work would have to be done outside on a dry day. The Ford dealer can accommodate the Greyhawk.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #16

LI-Camper, if you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for the oil change? I only ask as I inquired at a local RVshop, and they told me around $110 plus supplies. That drove me to plan on doing it myself ... not a big deal as we all used to do that as kids, it seems.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #17

Its a shame that someone ordering a coach is inquiring already about where to get it fixed. At least you know what you are in for.
Steveii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #18

I had a Greyhawk and did my own LOF. Easy.
Now have a Precept and that is not as easy. Especially adding the new oil. Filler tube is only inches from the top of the compartment. Have to use long tube to fill it. Oil filter is right above steering bar and I use a funnel to direct the oil.
Fun!
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #19

My Ford dealer has handled any issues with my E450 Redhawk. They do all my oil changes & service including tire rotations and FE alignment.
dyoung97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmsNMar View Post
Think about subtracting (1) one quart of oil, and adding (1) quart of Lucas Oil oil treatment, to each service. I never thought it would make a difference, but you will notice it in a better running motor.
Ford doesn't recommend oil additives.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote