Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #41

redhawk 23xm horrible creaking around passenger /dinette window , anyone have a fix ?
2014 ford fiesta toad
Gardia55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #42

I noticed that creaks and rattles diminished quite a bit if I used the transit bars when going on a long trip (over 100 miles).
May not help your particular problem, but may help someone...
Old 03-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
They pretty much rattle and squeak. You can track down some of them, others not so much. I have chased down and minimized squeaks and rattles from the shower door, sliding doors, TV, and dining table** (**Dining table made a ton of noise). I have have found squeaks in the mirrors, but have yet to unbolt and grease the squeak. (just have not had time). The cab over squeak in my unit is not that bad, but I do hear one there, it is not annoying enough.

You just have to determine what can be fixed and what cannot. If you are not comfortable taking things apart and putting them back together, it may be harder to deal with. I can imagine a dealer not being much help or pushing back on some of these noise issues, as many are pretty normal.
What did you do to help the shower door rattle. I don't really hear it, but my husband HATES it!
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #44

We had the squeaking problem with windows and the door. Solution: spray silicone onto a rag and wipe gaskets down.

Other than big bumps that shake everything, our 2016 31FS is fairly quiet.

We take the glass tray out of microwave and store it while driving. Put towels between pots and pans, etc. The shower door is a big one. Thinking about taking it out completely and putting in a curtain.

If you rode in your travel trailer, I am sure you would think it was coming apart at the seams. LOL.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Jeffk View Post
We had the squeaking problem with windows and the door. Solution: spray silicone onto a rag and wipe gaskets down.

Other than big bumps that shake everything, our 2016 31FS is fairly quiet.

We take the glass tray out of microwave and store it while driving. Put towels between pots and pans, etc. The shower door is a big one. Thinking about taking it out completely and putting in a curtain.

If you rode in your travel trailer, I am sure you would think it was coming apart at the seams. LOL.
I think this may be one of the chief causes of noise in the cab of the typical class C. The driver and passenger door seals squeak. Mine squeak for the first few miles, then stop. I like the idea of silicone on a rag. I'll try that next trip and see how that works. I'm surprised our Seneca cab isn't more noise-filled than it is. It's a truck cab, first and foremost. They didn't really design them to be as quiet as a passenger car.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #46

I also found that lots of squeaking and creaks and groans might be a sign that you need new tires. When I bought a new set of tires, it made a world of difference. (Check tire pressure too!)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky46 View Post
since you are in the class c when you are driving, you hear all the squeaks and rattles. I expect the same if you were riding in your travel trailer. I have found that most of the noise and rattles in my greyhawk was coming from:
1. The oven door. Open the oven door and put a towel over the door and close it when you travel. Be sure the towel is thick enough to make the door fit really snug. If it's still loose, fold the towel and try again.
2. The roundabout tray in my micro is really noisy. Either take out the tray when you travel, or stuff some towels in the microwave to hold the plate firm.
3. Put padding between pots, pans and dishes whenever possible.
4. If you have a folding metal lit over your stovetop, get rid of it. Most rv stores and camping world sell a nice hardwood cutting board top that is made to set on top of the stove, it stays put when traveling, don't rattle, looks nice and makes counter space when not using the stove and doubles as a cutting board!
ditto !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #48

That’s nothing, the reason we bought the Redhawk 26XD was after test driving various class C we found out that the smoother and quietest was ours!!! The other models and brands sounded like freight trains and wonder all over the road. We secured everything and now is quieter than an airliner in flight.
rs3678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #49

Noise from the microwave/oven

Hi
On our solo trip with our 2008 Jayco Melbourne, my wife noticed the microwave/oven was making lots of noises. Seems this appliance is not secured/bolted down, it's loose inside the silver plastic frame. To solve it; we used a bungee cord secured to the drawer handle below it, 100% better.
Attached Thumbnails
20181122_145235.jpg  
handydandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #50

Found a new rattle in my rig: The screen door.

Pretty much everything else is good to go including the oven door and the metal stove cover. I can definitely tell when I forget to secure the plate in the microwave, but that's an easy fix. I'll probably start using a pool noodle to secure that instead of removing and stowing it.

I haven't decided how I'll fix the screen door yet, but I'm probably going to try the jamb adjustment first, then possibly new weather stripping. If it's the metal panel in the bottom (which IMO is the most likely at this point), I'll probably try some clear silicone caulk.

In my rig, the most pervasive sounds are wind and engine noise. I've begun working on those, but still have more to do...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #51

I found on my class C the stove The lid rattled over the burners I placed padding under lid under the cast iron grates over the burners removed the shelf inside the oven, then removed the glass carousel in the microwave placed pad under it now it is pretty quiet. The only annoying thing left is the bathroom door flies open and drawers slide open so bungee cords stopped that.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #52

One of my co-workers once described his trip in a Rental Class C as "like living in a silverware drawer".
Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #53

Oh my... I never saw this thread after all this time....

We have a new rattle, or BANG, or bzzzzz or clank-clank-clank EVERY time we depart from our campsite to a new campsite. Most of the time, it is a rattle,bang,bzzz and clank at the same time too... For us, nothing gets put back in it's perfect place every time - and we hear it all the way to the next stop. Nature of the beast.

Surely, we have forgotten to securely close one of the cabinet doors... the contents will be sure to push the door open at the next curve and leap to their death upon the floor and create a new sensory experience of "what the heck was that crashing back there" ????

There are a million different sounds, noises, rattles that have yet to be identified as to the actual source of the noise - still. And we are seasoned veterans at the motor-home travel routine. Many of those noises are avoidable with a little pre-trip preparation like bubble wrapping the bottles in the liquor cabinet - (they love to clang when they are hugging each other) OR making sure the medicine cabinet in the bathroom is closed.

Sometimes... It's like a game for us... "What do you think that noise was?" Sometimes we never find out! ... and sometimes it is obviously all spread across the floor.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I dropped the bottom off the microwave (the black part w/ the light and the 'filters') so I could get at the back plate. I put some foam along the back bottom corner where the plate touches the wall and the lip brackets. I then put electrical tape (2x layers) around the whole bottom of the microwave (the black part that I removed) before I screwed it back in place.

So far so good.
If someone could post pics of the microwave noise prevention being done it would be appreciated.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #55

Yes what he said and in additionI use paper plates and plastics mostly because glassware or melamine plates and cups rattle around. I keep my food tightly packed in plastic bins and make sure there is no room for anything to slide around in the cabinets and the fridge..That being said it is a truck on a stretched chassis ;and on rougher roads it does rock and roll!
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #56

We are out of warranty now and the dealer could never figure out what caused the rattling between under the microwave and above the stove vent. We cannot isolate the noise to either device, but best of my ears says it is under the microwave. Its not anything inside the microwave, but between those two surfaces. Solutions????
Old 01-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
We are out of warranty now and the dealer could never figure out what caused the rattling between under the microwave and above the stove vent. We cannot isolate the noise to either device, but best of my ears says it is under the microwave. Its not anything inside the microwave, but between those two surfaces. Solutions????
Have you pulled the microwave out yet? Generally its 4 to 8 screws to remove the face frame. Un plug the it, and give it a general yank. Under and around our microwave must be 2 dozen or more wires laying back there. There is no top shelf above the frame. A little securing the wires or some foam may help.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #58

I haven't removed the microwave yet...seems like a daunting task, but have ruled out kitchenware, microwave interior, fan etc, so maybe that is the rattle..when I get my courage and strength up, will look into it with the spray foam!.. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #59

It is really easy to take out and put in. Hardest part is getting the cord through the hole. I find it easiest with help, but have done it solo. Here is what is behind my microwave.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5592.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	55977

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
We borrowed our in-law's Class C a couple times before we bought our TT. A U-Haul would have been better. Granted, it's older (2006 IIRC), but it sounds like there's a freight train of stuff right behind your head about to fall on you at any moment. Between the rattles, the squeaks, the groans... Forget listening to the radio, and conversation is one click short of a yelling match on all but the smoothest roads. It drives me crazy, but they don't seem to mind it all that much...

That's actually one of the reasons we bought a TT instead of a Class C.
I thought you had a Greyhawk?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote