Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #1

Cooling Problems

Our 2016 Class C Jayco 31 Greyhawk Air Conditioner will not keep up. I see that we are not the only ones with this Jayco trend of AC not doing the job. Is there a way we could add a second unit in the bedroom? We have got to do something before we leave for family reunion in September. I have had it checked but they always say it’s doing all it can. I had a Jayco 5th wheel for years with no problems. Guess we should have never downsized. Feel like we got bamboozled. I would pay to have another unit installed; can it be done?
cmswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

Yes you should be able to a 2nd ac. That was an option in your unit and is should be prewired for a 2nd unit. Talk to your dealer
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #4

I would refer you to this recent thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oom-57567.html

As the owner of a 2016 Greyhawk 31FS, I feel your pain. Jayco told me the second A/C was not offered as an option in 2016, so there is no prewire or bracing in the rear roof of my unit. Despite this, I know some forum members have retrofitted a second A/C in their 2016/older units with success.

-Doug
MontanaBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswilly View Post
Our 2016 Class C Jayco 31 Greyhawk Air Conditioner will not keep up. I see that we are not the only ones with this Jayco trend of AC not doing the job. Is there a way we could add a second unit in the bedroom? We have got to do something before we leave for family reunion in September. I have had it checked but they always say it’s doing all it can. I had a Jayco 5th wheel for years with no problems. Guess we should have never downsized. Feel like we got bamboozled. I would pay to have another unit installed; can it be done?
Sorry you're having an issue, but a 15,000 btu air conditioner whether in a JAYCO or FOREST RIVER unit is 15,000 btu's. The "trend" you're talking about would have to be a batch of bad units from COLEMAN/AIRXCEL like we had with the heatpump in our 2015 PINNACLE. Had it replaced twice under warranty. That is an issue JAYCO has no control over.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #6

Feel like we got bamboozled. Yeppers...sorry to say you did! You and it seems like a whole bunch of others.

Like others the only solution is to add a second unit. Some have added portable units that sit on the floor and exhaust through a window with success.

A 31 foot motorhome with one air conditioner regardless of size isn't going to cut it in the hot summer. This is true of any 31 foot motorhome not just Jayco.

In my humble opinion any RV...trailer, 5th wheel or Motorhome over say 26-27 ft needs 2 air conditioners. Period.

My dealer doesn't even order Greyhawks without 2 air conditioners. Of course we are in Texas so we should know better.

Our two air conditioners on our 29MVP are 11K units but together work very well. I would start by seeing if you could fit one of those in the rear where the current ceiling vent is installed. If you can fit it (and it should fit) you can run a dedicated power cord to that unit and then use a power cord splitter to get a 120 volt and 30 amp from a 50amp at the campground pedestal.

It's been successfully done by others...hopefully they will chime in and explain it better.

Good luck! If you have to make your trip in september with just the one air conditioner then be sure to ask for shade and cover all your windows to keep the heat load down and you might be ok.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #7

I'm assuming people with 2 ac, the unit in the front also blows air out the ducted vents? I'm not getting any air out of them with the front AC. Think they missed cutting the holes from the AC into the duct..
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
I'm assuming people with 2 ac, the unit in the front also blows air out the ducted vents? I'm not getting any air out of them with the front AC. Think they missed cutting the holes from the AC into the duct..
Bababooey...take the inside cover off the a/c unit. Look at the baffles. Some have had obstructions...pieces of baffle or other that needs to be removed or taped out of the way. Seems it was a common problem on some units delivered awhile back. Yours could have this same issue?

Easy fix. I would check before I drove to the dealership.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

I took the back ac apart and can see where its opened up into the duct. The front one doesnt have this! I punched a hole and ripped a bunch of styrofoam out of the way and now it works. Need to get more of that sticky aluminum tape to clean things up. What is that stuff called, I'm guessing I can find it at lowes?

Mine is a 2019 Entegra Esteem 31L built in June. Same as a greyhawk 3fs.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
I took the back ac apart and can see where its opened up into the duct. The front one doesnt have this! I punched a hole and ripped a bunch of styrofoam out of the way and now it works. Need to get more of that sticky aluminum tape to clean things up. What is that stuff called, I'm guessing I can find it at lowes?

Mine is a 2019 Entegra Esteem 31L built in June. Same as a greyhawk 3fs.
Here you go! HVAC Tape...at Lowe’s
Attached Thumbnails
CAFF1968-763F-4631-B816-2550BF753E1F.jpg  
Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 AM   #11

Quote:
We to have recently gone thru the same learning curve. Here in Florida if parked in an open camping space with outside temps 85 to 90 the inside temp would rise to 85 in the afternoon. When parked under some trees the inside temps would stay at 76 to 77 and the unit could cycle on and off. Makes a very big difference as a temporary solution. Good luck, Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Here you go! HVAC Tape...at Lowe’s
Picked some tape up at lunch and went to town on cleaning the duct up. With both AC's on, it blows cold air from all the ducts much much better.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
In my humble opinion any RV...trailer, 5th wheel or Motorhome over say 26-27 ft needs 2 air conditioners. Period.
We haven't tested it in 100 degree heat but in the 90's and high humidity the 13.5K ducted unit in our 32.5' trailer has keep us frigid. Maybe the key is not allowing the trailer to heat up during the day but we haven't had any issues with keeping cool in our 28RLS.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:

never mind!

Glad its fixed
Old 08-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Like others the only solution is to add a second unit. Some have added portable units that sit on the floor and exhaust through a window with success.
That was me.
@cmswilly - holler if you have questions.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
We haven't tested it in 100 degree heat but in the 90's and high humidity the 13.5K ducted unit in our 32.5' trailer has keep us frigid. Maybe the key is not allowing the trailer to heat up during the day but we haven't had any issues with keeping cool in our 28RLS.
You would burn up in Texas summers with only one ac...trust me, I have lived here all my life and had every flavor of RV they make...yeppers you need two ac's!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #17

Our 08 35' definitely needed 2 a/c's we could only keep a maximum 15 deg differential from outside temp when in a no shade condition with the heat soak.

Our new camper has 3 (for for the garage) and we'll see how it performs but I'd bet it's going to be similar.
CHV_FRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #18

I have a 2009 though about adding a second A/C in bedroom asked Jayco for a print of the roof to see what was up there they said they were going to send me one but never did I sent three emails no response Thor has arrived
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #19

Quote:
oh the lovely cheap jayco.i wouldnt buy another one.my air conditioner is lame as well.like the rest of the unit.so so second rate.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #20

We have a 2016 Jayco 29 MV and it came new with only one AC unit. It didn't take us long to figure it was time to either trade or spend more $ and add the second AC unit. We have had many, many major issues overall with out RV but have managed to correct most of them with our dealer who is about 50 miles away. I don't know what folks do without a good dealer or if they live a great distance from their dealer?? Anyway, our dealer added the second AC in the bedroom where the power vent fan was located and it has its own separate power supply that is not apart of the overall RV electrical system. We plug the new AC into a secondary power supply available at almost all campgrounds. Since we installed this second AC we haven't had one issue with the RV cooling well. Now if I can just get my Onan 4000 generator issue resolved, we will be good to go. Every trip seems to bring another problem. Our last outing, the passenger side door mirror snapped and was hanging free in the wind. Quick trip to Lowe's to buy some angle iron and duct tape got us back home. Called about a replacement and it will be $227 for a new one delivered to my door. Issue after issue with this RV. If I ever get them all resolved I'll keep this one for awhile but safe to say I am DONE with Jayco!