Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #1

Direct tv or Dish

I wish I would have known this 6 months ago. If you decide to travel north you will loose Direct tv and not to far into Canada. In Alaska Direct TV is not available just Dish. Just saying this was our experience.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #2

DISH has worked well for us for 8 years. Actually ended up getting rid of cable and even have the DISH system at the house. Great people to work with as we travel this great land. GOD BLESS AMERICA!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

If you don't have either in your house already, then Dish is probably your better bet.

They offer HD service with the carryouts, have a monthly "pay as you go" plan, can actually change your "service address" from their website/app so no call is needed (from my last read up on their service) and actually have an RV support section that caters specifically to mobile/RV users.

DirecTV is mainly used by those that already have it in their house (like me) but only offer SD with the carryouts, HD can only be received by either a Slimline dish on a tripod or a Winegard Trav'ler dish mounted on the roof, frown upon multiple "service address" changes within a short time and you have to call to get that done (with sometimes troublesome success), and their RV section was dissolved quite a while ago. They also don't have a "pay as you go" plan and require a 2 year commitment for service.

If I didn't already have DirecTV in my home, I would have gone with Dish for the RV but don't want to double up on programming costs to use DirecTV at home and Dish in the RV.

Oh, and one more thing to add. DirecTV will be transitioning their SD service from mpeg2 to mpeg4 service in April 2019. Because DirecTV has yet to officially announce what this change may or may not affect for mobile/carryout dishes currently being used by RV'ers in regards to availability, programming in general or quality of service (mpeg4 usually requires a larger reflector to receive a reliable signal in adverse weather than mpeg2), I wouldn't make the jump into DirecTV right now until we know more about the transition.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

I had DirectTV for a long time. I tried to upgrade old equipment and they wanted to charge me a lot of money. So I called Dish Network and they said come on over we will give you all new equipment put it in and a better price. I have the Hopper 3 and Joey at home and Wally in camper. Very happy with the setup. We use a Winegard Pathway for camping makes it easy.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Site Team

We have had Dish-Tailgater since 2012. The antenna sits on the top of the ladder on the back of the TT at the CG. Then it sits on a stand in our back yard in Florida. Have NO complaints at all.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
We have had Dish-Tailgater since 2012. The antenna sits on the top of the ladder on the back of the TT at the CG. Then it sits on a stand in our back yard in Florida. Have NO complaints at all.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
We have dish at home which set up works best in the camper, antenna/ receiver? Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote