Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #1

Electrical issue with auto step switch

I have an interesting problem on with 2020 Redhawk 29xk

The auto step switch is somehow linked to my slide-out, awning control and the awning LEDs. If the auto step switch is on the “on” position, the slide-out retract and extend works, the awning retract and extend works, and the awning LED lights work. If, the auto step switch is on the “off” position, none of those things work.

Lastly, no matter what position the auto step switch is on and engine off the steps extend and retract with the door opening and closing.

Anyone come across this?
Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #2

They must crossed all three switches

Pull em out and look
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:16 AM   #3

All the switches are in different locations on the wall. So, it’s not a simple cross at the switch. Has to be somewhere else, but having a hard time determining where. I am wondering if it is somewhere near a sensor (or something) that determines if the engine is running.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:32 AM   #4

Maybe holler at Jayco

I'm sure this isnt the 1st time it's happened...lol
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #5

I have contacted Jayco. It’s too bad that they don’t reply. Terrible support. I doubt I would buy another Jayco.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #6

Whoa - that's a clear case of miswiring. Wow. My two cents is that's it's going to be something way at the other end of the switches, near the start of the harness. Clearly some wires got crossed.

Since it's just "really annoying" and not anything worse, perhaps wait until you can get an appointment scheduled with someone you trust? This also strikes me as something that I might try to take back to Elkhart, schedule an appointment with Jayco service at the factory.

Or see if some of the 12V wiring diagrams here provide a clue on where to, at least, start looking.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #7

Yeah it’s an odd one. `Adding to the mystery that same switch somehow is controlling the 110v outlet in the cabinet above the entrance door which the TV is plugged into. All the other 110 outlets on that same circuit work.

I have been looking for any electric wiring diagrams but haven’t found any. I do have an appointment with the dealer the day that the warranty ends (August 10th), but they ensure me that it will be covered since I reported it now. We will see.

My concern at this point is safety. I do still want to take it out on trips.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

I think I am narrowing it down. The 110v outlet is the clue. When you turn on the engine the TV goes off. No driving and watching TV I guess. So I am thinking this has to do with the ignition detection system somehow somewhere. I just need to find out where that is.

The auto steps switch has to be linked to that somehow.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econ View Post
When you turn on the engine the TV goes off. No driving and watching TV I guess.

That's a well known irritation. There's a relay behind those outlets. And an extra wire that ties the ignition to the relay. Cutting that wire allows the TV to stay on when the engine fires up.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:04 AM   #10

Quote:
..... So I am thinking this has to do with the ignition detection system somehow somewhere. I just need to find out where that is.
The auto steps switch has to be linked to that somehow.

I'm looking at a Jayco drawing with a 2013 date for Greyhawks, and there is a connection to a Ford dash harness which picks up the engine-running signal and sends it to several systems, including the TV cutout relay, the steps, the rearview mirror heaters, the house battery charging relay, and the leveling control. The drawing shows these wires coming together in a large top-hat connector, and there is a fuse there on the wire coming out of the Ford harness. I believe this wiring junction and fuse are located below the dash behind the driver knee panel.
You may want to email Jayco Motorized and ask for some wiring diagrams, since your newer Redhawk may be different.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #11

Thank you Bullitt6283 !
Old 07-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #12

New symptom after camping this past weekend. The steps no longer work while the step auto switch still controls the slide, awning, awning light and TV 110v outlet.

I do believe I found the fuse under the dash for the ignition sensor which was not blown.

I have been reaching out to Jayco but sadly they do not respond. Very poor service IMO.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:57 AM   #13

Econ;
I have tried multiple times to get clear schematics as to how the ignition interlocks the lift and step systems. I see how the subsystems use the ignition signal but where it comes from in the cab wiring is still elusive to me.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #14

Similar problem 2019 redhawk

We had issues with steps, awning and it turned out to be a bad ground. Dealer found it and fixed it. As we picked it up I tried.... all dead. Service guy came out and checked fuses under steps, 1 had mild corrosion. Replaced and all good.
It was on left side, I believe there were 2, close together 1 was bad. Not blown, just corrosion. I'm not at redhawk, can't give better description.
Bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #15

I have a 24 Melbourne ,I have quite a few wiring diagrams ,if you forward e mail ,I’ll send don’t know if it will help.
Larry
Parella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #16

Quote:
I have contacted Jayco. It’s too bad that they don’t reply. Terrible support. I doubt I would buy another Jayco.
That is shocking but it has been few years since I contacted them though. I didn’t always get the answer I wanted but they did respond. Once they transferred me to the reps cell phone while he was on his way to a show. He was able to answer my question while driving. I got all the drawings for the van while I was on the phone another time.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote