Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

Electrical Problem

OK. I was parked in front of my house cleaning up inside my 2016 Greyhawk 31FS. The lights went out. I thought the house battery had died, even though it has only been parked a couple of days with nothing on but the fridge. I got the generator to start and the electrical outlets worked so I could vacuum, but the lights would not come back on. The outlets were the only thing that worked. I killed the generator and plugged in to the porch outlet. Nothing worked.

I flipped the breakers off and back on, removed the cover so I could pull and reinstall the fuses, but none were blown. I did notice the fan in that little black box turning, but while I was checking the fuses it would stop and make this high pitched whine and then start again after a minute or so. Breakers are back on and fuses appear good.

So here I sit with the slides out, the jacks down, and no power. The slides won't come in, the refrigerator won't come on, and no lights work inside.

Suggestions?
NativeTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

If you have proper voltage in the batteries I wonder if the coach master disconnect switch, and/or the solenoid it controls, has failed. If you operate the battery disconnect switch do you hear it "clunk"?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #3

Thank you. I had to leave and just got home. I will check that in the morning and get back to you....
Old 06-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #4

I went out there this morning, and when I walked in, everything was working. Yes, the disconnect switch was on the whole time. I have no clue what happened. But, then again, I have no clue why, for about 15 minutes after I stop, my auto leveler says "ignition on" when the keys are in my pocket, the steps won't stay out, or the tv won't work for those 15 minutes as well. I also don't know why, when I use my turn signal, the radio volume changes... left it decreases, right it blasts from the speakers. My local dealer is no help and only say they have never seen that (or anything) before. But, they also replaced a wiring harness which made things worse, of course, it was noticed more than 30 days after their work was complete (because it wasn't used) and they won't stand behind their labor after 30 days. Oh well...... Thank you, though, for your reply.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:29 AM   #5

Sorry, question answered on reread.
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
OK. I was parked in front of my house cleaning up inside my 2016 Greyhawk 31FS. The lights went out. I thought the house battery had died, even though it has only been parked a couple of days with nothing on but the fridge. I got the generator to start and the electrical outlets worked so I could vacuum, but the lights would not come back on. The outlets were the only thing that worked. I killed the generator and plugged in to the porch outlet. Nothing worked.

I flipped the breakers off and back on, removed the cover so I could pull and reinstall the fuses, but none were blown. I did notice the fan in that little black box turning, but while I was checking the fuses it would stop and make this high pitched whine and then start again after a minute or so. Breakers are back on and fuses appear good.

So here I sit with the slides out, the jacks down, and no power. The slides won't come in, the refrigerator won't come on, and no lights work inside.

Suggestions?

I was having similar problems. After three trips to LaMesa rv in ABQ they fixed nothing. Plugged into shore power or generator batteries weren't being charged. Ran voltage checks on converter checked out. Finally found the 50 cent outlet the converter was plugged into was intermittently running the converter. Make sure your converter has good power. Does your motorhome engine charge your house batteries? If so it might be isolator relay. Scratched my head for months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
b646488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
I went out there this morning, and when I walked in, everything was working. Yes, the disconnect switch was on the whole time. I have no clue what happened. But, then again, I have no clue why, for about 15 minutes after I stop, my auto leveler says "ignition on" when the keys are in my pocket, the steps won't stay out, or the tv won't work for those 15 minutes as well. I also don't know why, when I use my turn signal, the radio volume changes... left it decreases, right it blasts from the speakers. My local dealer is no help and only say they have never seen that (or anything) before. But, they also replaced a wiring harness which made things worse, of course, it was noticed more than 30 days after their work was complete (because it wasn't used) and they won't stand behind their labor after 30 days. Oh well...... Thank you, though, for your reply.
It sounds like something is grounding out in your dash or is possibly hooked up backwards. Given your issue with the turn signal, it may be worth your time to pull out the radio/head-unit and see if your problem goes away.