Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #1

Exit window

The 2021 Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP has a large emergency exit window on the back wall. The two small windows on either side of the bed offer less than ideal ventilation for the bedroom when the slide is out and none when the slide is in. I looked at the exit window and it looks like it could be turned into a functioning window with just a few parts and drilling out a couple rivets. Of course you would need a screen too but it would transform the ventilation in the motorhome.

I called Lippert about buying the necessary hardware and a screen, but made the mistake of telling the inquisitive Lippert person what I was hoping to do. She immediately went all liability lawyer on me and refused to discuss it any further. I have not been able to locate an alternate source so my idea has fizzled out.

So I'm wondering if anyone might have a suggestion or if any 29MVP owners had come up with a work around or have converted their exit to a functioning window.

Please don't respond if you just feel the need to lecture about safety, etc. I can kick out a window if I had to, and I haven't had to in 25+ years of RVing. My last RV had two escape exits that also functioned as a normal window so I don't think this is that big of a deal. Anyway, just window help, no safety help. Thanks.
Keith955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:51 PM   #2

There were posts on here about 3 years ago how some owners were able to affix some screening to the window without the whole exit window falling out. You'll have to use the search function to find them unless someone chimes in on the subject.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #3

Post a picture and size of the window. I once converted 2 of my swing out emergency windows to swing out much farther for better ventilation. They already had screens though. I also have an extra screen and frame for those windows as we forgot to latch one and lost the window on the highway and had to buy the whole assembly for just the glass...
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #4

Brian on RVing With Tito converted his emergency exit window into an excellent ventilation window with a screen. And he preserved the lockable emergency exit function. That modification is on my to do list. In fact it's in the top thirty-six things to do on my to do list.

Best!
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #5

I hot glued velcro all round the window opening. Then hot glued velcro to screen that was cut to fit the opening. I keep the screen over the opening. unlock the emergency exit latch prop open the window with a piece of 1x2 about a foot long, then close up the velcro screen and enjoy the fresh air flow. Been doing this for 5 years now. works great!

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith955 View Post

So I'm wondering if anyone might have a suggestion or if any 29MVP owners had come up with a work around or have converted their exit to a functioning window.
So, I'm in the same situation with you with my 25R with regards to the rear window. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on this but if you're handy, you could make your own "factory" screen for around $70 or so using this website (assuming you have the same "Kinro" window screens as I do). There may be physical window limitations that would prevent this from being able to fit, I haven't had a chance to really look at it. Just came across this site last year while brainstorming potential solutions.

RV Window Screen Parts
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:20 AM   #7
Site Team

There are a number of threads here on converting an exit window to useable source of ventilation. Here is one: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...elp-41589.html

I would think these ideas would work no matter which rig you have.

Try entering your search words in this search engine for JOF:
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015066...95:_douuy_o5dq
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #8

My window MOD photo's are in the post Norty put up. I will post my end result later today when I'm done with my 4th to the last day of work ever.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #9

Thanks for all the information! Cheers!
Keith955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
My window MOD photo's are in the post Norty put up. I will post my end result later today when I'm done with my 4th to the last day of work ever.

Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to My Last Day which I hope is next year!
Old 08-26-2022, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunke View Post
Post a picture and size of the window. I once converted 2 of my swing out emergency windows to swing out much farther for better ventilation. They already had screens though. I also have an extra screen and frame for those windows as we forgot to latch one and lost the window on the highway and had to buy the whole assembly for just the glass...

I shattered my rear emergency window and need to replace it. where did you get the replacement for your window.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:08 PM   #12

A glass shop can make you a new one.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:32 PM   #13

Not directed towards the OP who shouldn't read the rest.

How many people have multiple fire emergencies in their lives? I assume a tiny percentage of people even have one. I haven't had one in sixty years so I assume I'll never have one, I'm good. I'm not buying any more fire extinguishers. I stopped changing the batteries in my smoke detectors. I also removed the escape window in my RV.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Not directed towards the OP who shouldn't read the rest.

How many people have multiple fire emergencies in their lives? I assume a tiny percentage of people even have one. I haven't had one in sixty years so I assume I'll never have one, I'm good. I'm not buying any more fire extinguishers. I stopped changing the batteries in my smoke detectors. I also removed the escape window in my RV.

That's the thing about insurance, isn't it. You never really need it, until you need it.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
I shattered my rear emergency window and need to replace it. where did you get the replacement for your window.
I just googled it and it turned up on a Michigan RV dealers clearance page for $90. Complete window, frame and screen. Dealer wanted over $500 and had to wait weeks for it. Kept original frame in the wall and swapped the glass only This was about 5 years ago. I just googled them now and see many at Recpro or Amazon for around $200.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #16

I made my own screen from Home Depot parts for about $30. Little pieces of velcro on each corner to hold it in place and I'm all set. Prop the window open with 8" of 1X2 and then a loop of velcro around the handle and through the latch holds the window open. When the window isn't open, I store the screen below the window on four little pieces of velcro.