Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #1

Ford E 450

Anybody else disappointed in the cab and driving experience of the Ford , It seems for the price and how long the E 350/450 has been on the market , there would be a better product.
There isn't one car or pickup made today that drives as bad . I am not talking engine or transmission , but vague steering ,heating and air that is from the 1980s a total ergonomic mess.
Transit and Sprinter are better but are limited to weight , what are your thoughts.

Ed
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

Ford is making money hand over fist selling these because RV manufacturers keep buying them.

I'm wondering if there will be a real upgrade in 2020 for the new 7.3L v8 along with some actual amenities from newer Fords. I'd also prefer they offer longer real chassis so they don't have to be cut and have C channel welded in the middle. The ride would likely improve significantly.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #3

I wonder how a E450 on a stock wheelbase w/ a box dropped on top of it (aka ambulance, tour bus, etc.) drives compared to a motorhome? I ask b/c as soon as you extend the chassis you're changing the whole geometry. Plus some of our motorhomes have upwards of 10' hanging off the rear end. There is just so much variety I can't imagine how Ford could be expected to nail the driving characteristics at all?

That's why Jayco adds JRide to a Class 'C'. And its why you should get an alignment done w/ proper caster taken into account. While its no SUV, it behaves infinitely better then a unaligned Mini-Winnie with air bags.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

My motorhome actually handled pretty well for 31ft E 450 , It was the the steering that felt like mixing a bucket of cement and the radio position, manual dash air , and dont get me started on the crappy headlights ..

Ed
Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #5

Some E350/E450 have handling issues, some do not, the following may explain the difference:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber collars, "one size fits all". You can recognize these collars because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford collars, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine, possibly excepting the 31+ footers.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Does anybody remember when the E series chassis was refreshed the last time? I believe the body style changed in the early 90's (1992 maybe). Were there any other revisions since then?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Does anybody remember when the E series chassis was refreshed the last time? I believe the body style changed in the early 90's (1992 maybe). Were there any other revisions since then?
And again in mid 2000. The 450 today looks different than our 01.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #8

Well, I guess I'll just be the different but I actually really like driving mine. Granted, it's probably shorter than most of yours. I have a Greyhawk 26Y. I was actually commenting to my wife yesterday how fun it is to drive. The only time I notice any real issues is when driving about 60 down the interstate and a big 18 wheeler zooms by. It will get a little squirrely there for a sec. But I've noticed that if the 18 wheeler goes by slowly, no issues.

It was pretty windy this weekend and even with that it wasn't too bad. Now I had an old 90s model Class A and that was pretty weird to drive. But not crazy.

I've driven big Uhaul box trucks and they drive about the same. But maybe I was just lucky with mine. If so, I'm pretty happy about it.
Diesel_tke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
Well, I guess I'll just be the different but I actually really like driving mine. Granted, it's probably shorter than most of yours.

But maybe I was just lucky with mine. If so, I'm pretty happy about it.
I never had any handling issues with our 32' 01 after I took it to a truck shop (not a FORD dealer) for an alignment. It had a huge rear overhang.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #10

Had a 2005 e450 32 ft for 11 yrs and 55k miles. Handled fine. put bilsteins on it a steering stablizer on it. Got a 2016 E450 now 30ft and had the alignment done with caster at 5.5 and handles good for a big box. Satisfied also with the v10 power. gets me where I want to go.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #11

I guess my point was not in the handling department but the interior cab layout and quality of controls , heat , air, radio controls not on the steering wheel like modern vehicles ,

Ed
Old 04-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #12

Oh, well yah. From there you're taking a trip back in time. However, find solace in that the configuration has been in heavy use for such a long period of time; its reliable and Ford won't spend a great deal of time figuring out how to fix it should something go awry on you.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Oh, well yah. From there you're taking a trip back in time. However, find solace in that the configuration has been in heavy use for such a long period of time; its reliable and Ford won't spend a great deal of time figuring out how to fix it should something go awry on you.
Yep, that was my take on it. I was kind of relieved that it didn't have all the electronics on it like my Suburban. But I'm there with you on the volume controls. The soundstream is a pain already, but then having to reach over and hold down the volume button while driving is a slight safety issue.
Diesel_tke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #14

I have owned 3 Class A's from 25 to 35 feet and pulled TT behind 1/2 adn 3/4 T pickups too numerous to mention. I also flew my own private airplane for 20 plus years for fun and adventure.

Maybe it's because of the J-Ride suspension, but this is the best handling of all my RV's except when my 3/4T Dodge long bed pulled an 18 foot trailer. The rocking/bobbing/weaving of handling in an RV is just what happens when top heavy, long and bouncing along on air filled rubber tires. I had the same experience when flying. If the air was choppy, it could get downright miserable trying to keep it all straight, but it is the nature of the beast.

Comparing to the new fancy van's is tempting, but not really a comparison until you load them up to the same level and Center of Gravity.

That said, I do agree the features are antiquated, but definately not 80's....more into the early 2000's as I have owned 80's and 90's and they would generally be MUCH worse. The AC and Cruise work and power features do too. I hate the seating position and the seats (can't find a comfortable position). I am preparing for a 6K mile trip in another month. After that, I may sell the MH and go back to airplanes and a tent.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #15

My 2018 Jayco 31 Ft E450 drives as good as my F150 King Ranch truck. The Jayco Ride Plus sway bars & springs make all the difference . Also my E450 has all the controls on the steering wheel just like my truck..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #16

Agree with Lily's Pop..2017 Greyhawk 29MV..Billstein all the way. I also have a truck shop align the unit. Handles very well, with expect sway in +20MPH winds. The sway with passing semi is easy to anticipate, and is minimal! Love the V-10
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #17

I agree it needs a refresh, it’s got the same exact steering wheel as my 1999 F150 did! Come on ford we need some improvements here.

Having said that my E450 RedHawk drives OK for what it is, however, I did have to get a lot of work done to get it where it is now which really shouldn’t be necessary on something new that’s purposely built then customized. They should all come with a proper steering stabilizer, a rear track bar, a better front sway bar, (not the factory ford one you get), and properly aligned!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #18

I have a 2009 I would like some of the controls to be on the steering wheel and yes like the ac/heater controls you have to take your eyes off the road to adjust could use a few improvements yes
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #19

All of your controls can be put on the steering wheel if you order Ford OEM parts for a F450 Platinum model. You will probably keep what you have when you see the $ price. But if you Special order a 2019 model E450 you can have the type controls you want, JAYCO can order the cab & chassis you want...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #20

Ok here is my 2 cents. Yes the steering isn't great and the floor boards get hot, and the gas mileage isn't dieserable but look at how much new trucks cost. Plus knock on wood I haven't had one single problem with the van but have had numerous problems with the camper. We have an E450 got to fords website and see what a F450 or comparable chevy or dodge cost compared to a stripped E450. Then add the cost of throwing a camper on top of it. I bought my motorhome new a few years ago and thought I the price was high but I guarantee if they step up to a newer van/truck design the price will sky rocket. Key is they are reliable maybe not the fanciest but they work and they are cheap.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote