Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #1

Generator

I have 2018 Greyhawk 29mv. Love it. However, generator won’t start. Bought new battery and same problem. It will turn over about three times and then it acts like battery is dead.
Any ideas?
LeighW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #2

Are you priming it before you try to start? If not, push the button for a sec and release a couple of times then start it.
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

generator clicks

I have the same problem with my 2018 31ds. I too bought a new battery made no difference. checked all the grounds same issue. found that if motorhome was running I could start the generator. Maybe starter in generator is weak just a shot in the dark any other ideas?
PLANE MAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
CAG

When you said acts like the battery is dead, do you mean the solenoid clicking sound? Which battery did you replace the truck battery or the coach battery. The coach battery is the one the generator uses. And, as Daniel asked, are you priming it? A good 30 seconds of holding down the prime.

One thing that I always did with the genny is to use SeaFoam in the fuel tank but that was with the 5th wheel and the genny had a gas tank of it's own. It is more difficult to get a stabilizer/cleaner into it from the coach tank. It means a health dose into the fuel tank. A better way might be to go from a 5 gal gas container right into the fuel pickup of the generator. Cleaning out the gum is not a bad thing.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #5

Replaced the coach battery. It does click after about the third try. It’s still under warranty. I’ll have to take it in.
LeighW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #6

Hi. If you have the onan generator and are under warranty i would highly recommend going to a cummins/onan service center since they are the best knowing there equipment.
jellyjamblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

Carburator.... Get it changed out

Former owner had listing and paper work from our 2018 29mv, where the generator would come on stay on a bit and die, they did a bunch of stuff to it under warranty qnd finally changed the carburator out and it now works fine
J2048b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #8

They had made some adjustments and it fixed ours for a bit but eventualky started doing the same thing, tuening off, after a bit etc.... Which lead the shop to replqce the ol carburator and whalla it now has worked for over a year with no issues
J2048b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #9

Make sure all your grounds are clean and tight also power cable to starter ect.... Just a shot in the dark but did you try using the starter switch on the generator it self. You can also crank it over from there.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #10

If generator stops turning over, it's not a fuel problem, it's a power problem. If it was a fuel problem (like gummed up carb), the generator would try to crank, but may not start.

Try starting the chassis motor and letting it idle for a few minutes, then (while chassis motor is still running) try the generator again. If it starts that way, then your house battery is likely toast. The chassis alternator and battery provide a charge to the house battery; if you start the chassis motor and the generator kicks over when it wouldn't without the motor running, the generator is essentially using the chassis battery to start.

If the generator behaves the same with/without the chassis motor running, then you likely have a different power-related problem. I would begin by checking the grounds near the house battery.

Of course, if it cranks but won't start, that is another issue.

I ALWAYS start the coach motor before trying to start the generator because I know my house battery is pretty much shot and needs replacing. I can also start the generator if I'm on shore power because the converter/charger is providing the 12V necessary for the start.

Also, if it's a brand new unit you purchased from the dealer, there is still a good chance the house battery is toast. Dealerships treat those batteries VERY poorly while they're on the lot, and it's common for the supplied house battery to be pretty much toast the day you take delivery. It doesn't help that they install cheap batteries in there in the first place either...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighW View Post
It will turn over about three times and then it acts like battery is dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighW View Post
It does click after about the third try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
If generator stops turning over, it's not a fuel problem, it's a power problem.

What Bob said - you've got a power problem. When my coach battery is too dead to start the generator, I start the Ford engine. Like Bob said, wait a few minutes and then start the generator. The alternator will power the generator to start.

If it starts, you know you've got a battery related issue.

If it doesn't - then I agree. Find a Cummins/Onan dealer -- or Authorized Repair shop and have them look it over.

The Cummins dealership here is booked for weeks and weeks.
I found a local guy who's authorized to do repairs and he's great.