Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #21

Meetings and price

If I knew about this show and several of you would be there I would change my flight back from eastern VA (I am not in -23) to get there to meet you!

When I was at the Hershey RV show (largest in the country) I know I saw deals elsewhere that had been better than the show price. Infact, I know that the guy who purchased the show Seneca paid more than I did for one year newer. My advice would be to get pricing from RVOne or MHS2GO prior to going to the show. Then, use that print out to beat them down.

I read CW was involved; they are not to be trusted. Another member posted that they used his bathroom facilities and stole parts off his RV to sell to another customer!
Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
If I knew about this show and several of you would be there I would change my flight back from eastern VA (I am not in -23) to get there to meet you!

When I was at the Hershey RV show (largest in the country) I know I saw deals elsewhere that had been better than the show price. Infact, I know that the guy who purchased the show Seneca paid more than I did for one year newer. My advice would be to get pricing from RVOne or MHS2GO prior to going to the show. Then, use that print out to beat them down.

I read CW was involved; they are not to be trusted. Another member posted that they used his bathroom facilities and stole parts off his RV to sell to another customer!
Just wondering if anyone else is going?
I will never have anything to do with CW unless it was for some emergency part. The "Extras" needed will be bought most likely from Etrailer or off Amazon. For the Coach I prefer to buy from a smaller "Mom & Pop" Dealer if possible but use the prices posted from "The Big Boys" to get the best possible deal.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #23

Here is the Dealers that they are showing:
http://stlrv.com/wp-content/uploads/...-floorplan.png
Old 01-31-2019, 06:17 PM   #24

Having known the best owners/dealers in STL for over 30 years you’ll get the Best customer service in the industry. Apache Village
jonesykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesykay View Post
Having known the best owners/dealers in STL for over 30 years you’ll get the Best customer service in the industry. Apache Village
Excellent! Thank you! Good to hear a good report on a semi local dealer. They're 120 miles away but the closes Jayco Motor Coach Dealer to us. Next closes is Davenport Iowa.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Lots of good information here... Just recently became part of the Jayco family. I guess you'd say i'm a 2nd cousin, since we bought the Entegra Vision, but its made in the Jayco factory. I wanted to see a Jayco, but could not find one anywhere near me. I've always been a fan of the brand, and since we bought a month ago, i've been pleased with both my dealer and the factory for their support in resolving the very few minor issues we found.

I found that between Christmas and New Years is not a bad time to make a deal. We found the model we wanted, with the options we wanted at a local dealership. Called the dealership, but they were closed and ended up getting an afterhours salesman at their headquarters up north. Made an offer on a new 2019 at >35% off and told them we could close before the end of the year. He told me they were closed so he would have to call one of the owners and 20 minutes later we had approval and the process began. We closed on the 28th of December and we lived in it until last weekend when we were finally able to move back into our home after the recent flood.

We had planned to wait until later in the year, but when the proeprty flooded on the 15th of December and we were living in ourt 19' TT, it quickly got very small with the two of us and two dogs, so we decided to pull the trigger.

I do agree with some of the other comments here, the show is a great place to look and spend time in a unit. Also a great place to talk to a factory rep, which is a good contact to have. But I would opt for a brand new model with very little foot traffic and spend the couple thousand difference it will be to have a unit that has not been trampled through or sitting on a lot for a year.

Good luck and most of all, enjoy the process.

P.S. You're not far from the factories, I would plan a trip to do a factory tour as well. It's not a bad idea to see how they're built and take that into consideration when buying.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #27

I can second the Apache Village recommendation. I ordered my 2019 TT and received a great deal ,no issues during the process, good service department
and for me the added bonus is they are only 2 miles away from my house.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogrampa View Post
I can second the Apache Village recommendation. I ordered my 2019 TT and received a great deal ,no issues during the process, good service department
and for me the added bonus is they are only 2 miles away from my house.
Nobody knows a dealer better than their customers. Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #29

I would highly suggest to look for a used class A or C RV if you're considering buying one. The depreciation on the things are huge. You can save 10's of thousands of dollars buying used. Also, most of the people that owned them would have already worked out the factory warranty issues.
Steveii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #30

We shopped lightly used Greyhawks attempting to realize depreciation savings but units 1-2 yrs old were asking nearly what we paid for our new ‘18 when the ‘19’s were piling onto lots. I know we could have paid less for an older unit, but more than 1-2 years meant giving up a lot of the newer features.

We saw the floor plan we liked at Hershey RV Show, and bought below “show price” a month later.

I love buying used equipment, vehicles, etc, but when it came to our MH I couldn’t justify the savings against potential issues, reduced warranty, and the feeling of everything being “ours”.
JMHO
tbillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #31

I understand the new part but the money is huge that you can save. I'm speaking from experience. I have a 2016 greyhawk 31fs I bought new for $90k. I have 4100 miles on it. Been trying to sell for last 8 months. Best offer I've had I've had it was $65k. Most we're in the 50's.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #32

Be sure that you check out the size of the bed. RV builders have a bad habit of saying Queen size bed which in RV talk means a 60" x 74" not 60" x 80". Looks good but you need head room. BE sure to measure, its something you find out when its to late.
Next is slides, don't buy unless you see the unit with the slides in. On some models you can not get to the kitchen or bath unless the slides are out.
No good if you stop at a rest stop. Also I don't like slides on both sides because some of the older & Gov. campsite are not wide enough.
Towing, you just about have to tow a vehicle when you travel, just no room to park in old towns. Check what the weight of a vehicle you want to tow.
Last very few of the new RV sales persons don't even own and RV an will tell you anything to get a sale. Think used car sales person.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #33

We are on our 3rd RV. Had a Thour terrible rig!, had a Winni great rig with outstanding customer service.

We now own a 2019 Redhawk 25R. My wife and I love the floor plan. The JayRide is good but we added rear air suspension and a front reflex steering damper and had a re-alignment after it was all over the road when we towing our tiny Kia Soul!. Rides great now. I am glad we bought the RedHawk because it was perfect for us and we always wind up doing upgrades. I do like the 2 year warranty, a big plus for me. But getting parts through a dealer is not my cup of tea! That’s the only real disappointment have after 5k miles and some winter camping it seems to be well built.

Hope this helps,

JohnyNorthland
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveii View Post
I understand the new part but the money is huge that you can save. I'm speaking from experience. I have a 2016 greyhawk 31fs I bought new for $90k. I have 4100 miles on it. Been trying to sell for last 8 months. Best offer I've had I've had it was $65k. Most we're in the 50's.
You paid 90k for a rig that you should have paid 70k to 75k for new.

I agree, if you can find something used for a decent price, it's the best option. There are 2 different buyers though.
1. Understands depreciation, doesn't finance toys, and will work a deal till it's at their price and not get emotional in the negotiation..
2. Doesn't know anything about #1.

Problem with finding something used a few years old is most of them bought a rig for $90k that should have been sold for 70K and will just hold off selling for 8 months thinking their rig was work 90k.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #35

Jayco 39 mv

I am also a retired LEO and wanted to reply to your question. We have a Jayco 29 mv 2016 and love it. We have had a motorized RV for 10 years and during that time we’ve had 3 different rigs. We did have a Cambria by Winniebago which , after the initial period, never gave us a single issue. We now have a Jayco whose ride is really superior and we love the floor plan. It’s important to get a good deal on whatever rig you choose going in as the dealers will try to rape you when you trade. Hope that helps partner.
AIRCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #36

Hope you are able to find your camper! I can only say great things about Apache Village! We have purchased three trailers from them and the customer service is amazing! Our salesman Tom is awesome! You will love them!
Shirlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #37

For first TT purchase I recommend buying a second hand and using it some before buying a new one. No better way to learn than experience.
Be sure the bed is easy to make. That comes under layout as one said before as being the most important.
Kitchen layout is important-- a good work area present or that can be developed.
50 amp vs 30 amp service.--First one was a 30 amp and it worked fine. Didn't go looking for 50 amp. It just came with the new trailer purchase.
Storage in the trailer is something an old trailer had that the new one doesn't. That is a negative in the new trailer. 5th wheels usually have more storage.
Our last older trailer had 4 bunk beds in the back, but one side could fold up the lower bunk and supply a lot of extra storage space. Really miss that in this new Jayco. I had to buy a truck tool chest and weld it on the back of the new trailer for storage.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlee View Post
Hope you are able to find your camper! I can only say great things about Apache Village! We have purchased three trailers from them and the customer service is amazing! Our salesman Tom is awesome! You will love them!
I agree with Shirlee. We bought our Alante from Tom at Apache Village last year and they've been wonderful. We actually ran into friends on the lot the day we bought our coach and they were getting ready to buy their 3rd travel trailer from Apache and also couldn't say enough good things about the service they've received over the years. We bought an Alante 26X and there are two things about our particular coach I wish were different: side tables for the bed; the ones in this model are too small and too far away. 2nd the cockpit doesn't have enough storage space, no computer desk, no second cup holder, and the back up/side view camera/gps docking station is not easily seen by the driver. This latter issue we are doing mods to remedy. But the first issue can only be solved by more feet (we wish we would have gotten a little bigger).

I also have to say I agree with other posts that slightly used is the way to go: cheaper, and some of the necessary mods will already be done, like a steering stabilizer, which will save even more money. But one of us lost the argument for purchasing used.
D & Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
You paid 90k for a rig that you should have paid 70k to 75k for new.

I agree, if you can find something used for a decent price, it's the best option. There are 2 different buyers though.
1. Understands depreciation, doesn't finance toys, and will work a deal till it's at their price and not get emotional in the negotiation..
2. Doesn't know anything about #1.

Problem with finding something used a few years old is most of them bought a rig for $90k that should have been sold for 70K and will just hold off selling for 8 months thinking their rig was work 90k.
I paid $78k before tax and prep fees. I'm talking out the door price at $90k. If you can find a dealer that will get you out the door for there advertised price then I would go for it.
Steveii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveii View Post
I paid $78k before tax and prep fees. I'm talking out the door price at $90k. If you can find a dealer that will get you out the door for there advertised price then I would go for it.
Sounds like you had a great offer then at $65k. It's a 4 year old used RV, it's depreciated at least 25%, some interweb finance sites say up to 40% by the 2nd year.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote