Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #1

GFCI help needed

I just purchased a Pre-owned Jayco Redhawk 22J a month ago. Getting ready to leave on tomorrow and I have no power to the RV. My surge protector shows good power going and the GFCI works with the generator running but won’t reset with the power from the house. Checked the battery and it was bad so I replaced it but still can’t reset the breaker. Don’t know what else to do. I’m a single grandmother trying to take the grandkids out this weekend. I appreciate any ideas since I can’t get it in for repair till next week.
Louque4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #2

Are you plugging your trailer into a GFCI?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #3

Not directly but there is a GFCi outlet in the garage on that line.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

I think I understand... you are plugging into a GFI outlet in your house correct and when you do it pops.

When you start the generator you plug in and it doesn't pop...
If you are plugging in and the generator is running it will block the shore power and isolate the trailer from any incoming source (this protects the house from getting power from the trailer - short version)
so when you plug into the GFI outlet and have your fridge, lights etc going it pops the GFI... If that is the case you should find another outlet that is not GFI to plug into (try that first).

make sure you shut off all your appliances and your air conditioner...

if you still can't make it work then you need to find the panel with all your breakers and turn them all off, plug in and if it doesn't trip the ckt in your house start turning them on one at a time till it quits working... My guess is your GFI outlet is cutting out because of a load issue...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #5

Thanks I turned everything off and still no power to the RV. Could it be the transfer switch. When I plugged my RV to my garage outlet it shows power to my water heater but not the microwave or AC. I read somewhere that that could be a problem.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #6

IIRC the transfer switch is the power to the whole unit not individual parts...

so you shut off everything and plugged it in and the GFI didn't pop.. then you turned on your water heater and that works...

did you turn off all the breakers? and then turn them on one by one? if trouble shooting you have to go one step at a time till the problem is found... if you have a volt meter that will be your friend.. you will need to figure out where the power is.

is your hot water heater on gas or electric? it can run on propane and the battery...
so unplug from the house
find your breaker panel

turn all the breakers to the off position
plug in your trailer
go to the panel and turn on the microwave breaker
does it power the microwave? yes/no
if no then it could be the transferswitch or the WFCO unit. that is where you will need to use the volt meter

so it could be your transfer switch and you will likely need a voltmeter to determine that
Old 08-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #7

I don’t see individual switches just fuses and the main 30amp GFCI breaker. I switched the water heater to AC when I plugged it to shore power and it’s the only light that came on. Nothing else works (outlets, Fridge, AC). I checked the parking break (class C) and it’s fully engaged. So I’m totally baffled.

I’m new to all this and I appreciate all the help. Guess the positive is I’m learning all about this motor home.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Are you plugging your trailer into a GFCI?
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I think I understand... you are plugging into a GFI outlet in your house correct and when you do it pops.
I plug my rig into a 20 amp, GFCI protected circuit when the rig is in the driveway, and everything works as designed, and nothing pops.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louque4 View Post
Thanks I turned everything off and still no power to the RV. Could it be the transfer switch. When I plugged my RV to my garage outlet it shows power to my water heater but not the microwave or AC. I read somewhere that that could be a problem.
Are you turning on the LP gas switch for the heater? That works off of the 12 volt system, not the 120 volt side. I believe it's the same for the electric side, it sends a 12 volt signal to the relay.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
I don’t see individual switches just fuses and the main 30amp GFCI breaker. I switched the water heater to AC when I plugged it to shore power and it’s the only light that came on. Nothing else works (outlets, Fridge, AC). I checked the parking break (class C) and it’s fully engaged. So I’m totally baffled.

I’m new to all this and I appreciate all the help. Guess the positive is I’m learning all about this motor home.

Thanks

the light is on but the water is probably not being heated...

so the breaker in the unit is tripping? not the outlet in your house? this is important to understand
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I plug my rig into a 20 amp, GFCI protected circuit when the rig is in the driveway, and everything works as designed, and nothing pops.

Mine will.....sometimes. When that happens I just plug into my 50a receptacle. Haven't had the time or inclination to investigate the intermittency especially since the conditions are exactly the same.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #12

Thanks everyone. It ended up being something with the transfer switch. Luckily it was taken care of and I’m good to go in the morning. I learned so much from this blog. I appreciate all your help.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks everyone. It ended up being something with the transfer switch. Luckily it was taken care of and I’m good to go in the morning. I learned so much from this blog. I appreciate all your help.
Just keep in mind that sometime 2 GFI's in series do not work. That walk around is to turn off the GFI circuit in the RV or plug into a non-GFI circuit.

Changing the 12 volt battery has nothing to do with 120 volt circuit.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci breaker, help please, no power to ac or refrig