Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #41

I was faced with this situation in March of 2016. At that time the list contained Subaru. I went with a 2016 Subaru Forester (Standard trans). I noticed that Subaru has since removed themselves from the list.

Our Forster (standard trans) has towed flawlessly more than 15,000 miles.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #42

Just did first trip, 8k miles, with our 2013 Equinox 4wd flat towed. Only "issue" is the odometer continues to turn. Otherwise, easy on off from our Blue Ox and no issues. Golf clubs in cargo, bikes on the back hitch...
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:47 PM   #43

All this just leads me back to JEEP. Simply put it in park, transfer case in neutral, no key needed in ignition so no odometer milage added, also you can lock up vehicle as needs no key because no steering lock. I am all jeep when it comes to flat tow, sorry.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:28 PM   #44

My 2016 Equinox has been towed 4 down for 25000 miles with no added milage on the speedo.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians first rv View Post
Just did first trip, 8k miles, with our 2013 Equinox 4wd flat towed. Only "issue" is the odometer continues to turn. Otherwise, easy on off from our Blue Ox and no issues. Golf clubs in cargo, bikes on the back hitch...
I tow a 2014 CRV 2WD. I was also told no mileage would be clocked. I had the key in Aux position and dash was still lit up. My installer of my base plate said if the Speedo lights up there’s a good chance you will clock mileage. So I Had him install a battery quick disconnect and not the fuse bypass switch for this issue. I’m good now with no worries of clocking mileage or a dead battery. But we did have to install a 12V socket that uses 12v from RV to power our Ox breaking system.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
...we did have to install a 12V socket that uses 12v from RV to power our Ox breaking system.
If there is a severe breakaway, you would no longer have 12v power to operate the braking system. Not good.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #47

If you have a breakaway. The breaking system locks up the toads wheels so it doesn't do even more damage careening down the road

Breakaway meaning toad separates from the RV, away from safety chains etc.

Not a good thing to happen
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
If there is a severe breakaway, you would no longer have 12v power to operate the braking system. Not good.
As Stavman said if there’s a breakaway it would lock the toad breaks, furthermore, my blue Ox patriot 3 has a battery back up in it and I routinely test it as well as the entire system. It works flawlessly!
Old 12-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #49

Quote:
.....my blue Ox patriot 3 has a battery back up in it.....
Thant's a great feature!

2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 12-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Thant's a great feature!

I was going to go with ready brute but couldn’t find anyone interested in installing it. Also like the idea if I buy a 2nd vehicle and it’s towable I can transfer the breaking system from car to car. But I would need breakaway and electrical cable installed.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #51

Some of these braking systems get a bad rap because some folks don’t understand that once power is removed from the toad vehicle, you need to pump the brake pedal two or three times to get it hard before the braking system sets itself up. Otherwise it will Calibrate based on The length of travel with vacuum booster still having enough vacuum in it to assist with pedal force. (Power brakes) This will cause a much greater force on the brake pedal and burn up the toad vehicle’s breaks.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Some of these braking systems get a bad rap because some folks don’t understand that once power is removed from the toad vehicle, you need to pump the brake pedal two or three times to get it hard before the braking system sets itself up. Otherwise it will Calibrate based on The length of travel with vacuum booster still having enough vacuum in it to assist with pedal force. (Power brakes) This will cause a much greater force on the brake pedal and burn up the toad vehicle’s breaks.
BTDT. I turned the toad off AFTER I set up the braking system. First application of brakes about gave me a heart attack. The brake MASHED the pedal to the floor and nearly stopped the whole rig except that I let off after I felt the jolt. I thought something had come loose! Turns out it was the monkey at the controls that had come loose...

So, I ALWAYS turn off the toad, THEN setup the brake system.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #53

That's one thing I like about the RVi3 brake. When you power it up, it mashes the brake pedal three times to vent the vacuum from the power brake system.
2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 12-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #54

[QUOTE=Johnynorthland;922946]Some of these braking systems get a bad rap because some folks don’t understand that once power is removed from the toad vehicle, you need to pump the brake pedal two or three times to get it hard before the braking system sets itself up. Otherwise it will Calibrate based on The length of travel with vacuum booster still having enough vacuum in it to assist with pedal force. (Power brakes) This will cause a much greater force on the brake pedal and burn up the toad vehicle’s breaks.[/QUOTE

Good suggestion you have about pumping the pedal a few times before setting up the Patriot. My patriot does go thru a calibration, where it pumps the pedal a couple of times, but I don't know if that's enough. From now on I am going to manually pump the pedal myself after turning of the car, then calibrate the Patriot. Thanks
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #55

I personally decided to go with the Smart Car for Two Sedan (Gas). It is the lightest car on the market that can be flat towed with the proper base plates which they make specifically for that car. I went to two dealers and both said that RV'ers were looking for that vehicle to tow. Great car and lots of space regardless of how they look.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
I personally decided to go with the Smart Car for Two Sedan (Gas). It is the lightest car on the market that can be flat towed with the proper base plates which they make specifically for that car. I went to two dealers and both said that RV'ers were looking for that vehicle to tow. Great car and lots of space regardless of how they look.
I go with the mantra “lighter is always better”! I would love a smart to tow but just not practical as we are 6 months full time with a dog and 3 grandkids! CRV life for me.!

And P.S. I like the way the smart looks!
Old 01-01-2021, 05:20 PM   #57

[QUOTE=tom463219;922980]
Quote:
Some of these braking systems get a bad rap because some folks don’t understand that once power is removed from the toad vehicle, you need to pump the brake pedal two or three times to get it hard before the braking system sets itself up. Otherwise it will Calibrate based on The length of travel with vacuum booster still having enough vacuum in it to assist with pedal force. (Power brakes) This will cause a much greater force on the brake pedal and burn up the toad vehicle’s breaks.[/QUOTE

Good suggestion you have about pumping the pedal a few times before setting up the Patriot. My patriot does go thru a calibration, where it pumps the pedal a couple of times, but I don't know if that's enough. From now on I am going to manually pump the pedal myself after turning of the car, then calibrate the Patriot. Thanks
The pumping the patriot does sets the travel in one push of the pedal, that’s a big issue I wish BX would address!
Old 01-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #58

I tow a 1019 Ford Edge ST....Ford performance package.

We wanted a car that would replace our family vehicle. Smart cars and other styles seem to be a nice way to go if that's all there going to do. But we wanted a good second row seating (place for the grandkids etc.) and room in the back for chairs, umbrella and a cooler.

So, we went a bit bigger.

Towing with a Blue Ox with brake mounted under hood...no clamp ons. Ready to go.

Putting it in the tow mode? Hook up the from to the towing, chains etc...This next step is somewhat difficult but once you get it you got it...basically it has an electronic drive...we turn a knob rather than pulling it into D or R with a shift lever.

So. With power on...parking brake on...but car not started...under the dash by the brake there is an orange cord. I push hard on the brake, then pull the cord and slip it into a notch.

I get a waning about the parking brake not being engaged. Climb out From under the dash and take the car out of park...next step is to push the button that removes power from the Edge and transfers it to the Motor Home. Place brake system with to right...should be good to go.

Last step is to roll the car and Make sure all 4 wheels spin and none drag.

Robbbyr set his Edge up to flat tow and is a wealth of info. He did his own installation...I took mine to dealer and had it installed by them..just under 4K...Blue Ox and braking system included.