Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiviq View Post
I just purchased the 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 27U on 2019 Ford E-450 with JRide+ technology. I am having major steering and stabilization problems. The RV constantly drifts and wanders in lane. Driving is a struggle and quite tiring. When a semi passes, my unit wants to leave the highway. It can lurch a foot to the right as the semi approaches. When towing my 4023 pound Jeep, the problem is worse. I cannot safely drive above 50 mph when towing because front end seems light and the steering is slow to respond. Anyone else with similar issues? Any suggestions?
I have owned two Jayco 29 my units. Both had the wandering, out of control steering you describe. Steering caster increased to plus 5.5 degrees solved the issue for me. Moog K8986 adjustable camber/caster sleeves set to maximum plus caster and no camber change were used. No more white knuckle unexpected direction changes. Good luck.
Snapchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #22

Quote:
I just purchased the 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 27U on 2019 Ford E-450 with JRide+ technology. I am having major steering and stabilization problems. The RV constantly drifts and wanders in lane. Driving is a struggle and quite tiring. When a semi passes, my unit wants to leave the highway. It can lurch a foot to the right as the semi approaches. When towing my 4023 pound Jeep, the problem is worse. I cannot safely drive above 50 mph when towing because front end seems light and the steering is slow to respond. Anyone else with similar issues? Any suggestions?
I would Google : Jayco RV steering complaints, you ll get a better view of what other folks have gone through.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #23

Quote:
https://jayco.pissedconsumer.com/review.html
Old 06-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
I wouldn't put too much faith in a site like that. Upset people will put in a hell of a lot of effort to complain on the Internet. The happy customers will hardly make a post, since they are out camping.

Just ask yourself, how many complaints are listed on that site versus how many total rigs has Jayco sold in the last decade? That will give you your answer.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #25

Quote:
It's a Ford with steering from the 1960s. My 29xk is the same way, put thousands of dollars into it that Jayco should have from the start or just learn to drive an old Ford Econoline van from the 60s
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapchen View Post
I have owned two Jayco 29 my units. Both had the wandering, out of control steering you describe. Steering caster increased to plus 5.5 degrees solved the issue for me. Moog K8986 adjustable camber/caster sleeves set to maximum plus caster and no camber change were used. No more white knuckle unexpected direction changes. Good luck.
IMO, this post represents the "elephant in the room". The problem RVs do not have enough positive caster. +Caster enhances the stability of the front end. All the other fixes simply reduce the challenges to the front end stability to some degree or another.

All an alignment tech has to do is install the adjustable camber/caster sleeves to be max +caster and 0.0* camber, then "tweak the toe and were good to go". After all, that is the way Ford did the alignment on the production line.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #27

I've owned 3 class Cs, 1 GMC and 2 Ford's 350&450. The GMC was fine but any I've owned would move when large trucks pass. The Ford's were worse but did everything I could and lived with it. I always tow a 24' trailer and that adds to the fun. I just learned to be aware of trucks and busses and be prepared. I now have a Jayco Seneca GS35 and it moves very little if any when trucks pass which is not too often running 70 or so. Night and day between the C and Super C especially towing a trailer. Hope to never have to go back to a C.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I decided to install the Roadmaster RSSC Steering Stabilizer. The difference in controlling my RV is noticeable.
Aiviq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I decided to install the Roadmaster RSSC Steering Stabilizer. The difference in controlling my RV is noticeable.
Next, replace the front sway bar. You won't be disappointed.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote