Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

Greyhawk 29MV vs 29ME

As a soon to be new owner, I have my search narrowed down to the two aforementioned rigs. From looking at tons of videos on line and reading spec sheets until I'm blurry-eyed, I'm kind of on the fence. Maybe 51-49 towards the MV.

Any things you really love about the unit you chose or perhaps don't like? Anything you like on the unit you didn't go with that you wish the one you bought might have?

Do both units have functional master beds with the slides in? That would be a big buying point for me. I THINK the MV bed is functional but you lose part of the wardrobe (or drawers). I also heard that the bed on the ME is functional with the slide in but you lose a kitchen cabinet with the super-slide in.

What else do I need to consider between these two units?

Thanks,
Dirk
JonDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #2

We bought the MV for the counter space and the slide out additional counter space. Like you said, bedroom drawers aren't accessible with the slide in but the bed is usable. We did look at the ME but settled on the MV. FYI, it probably wasn't mentioned, but there's also storage behind the bedroom TV that we use for a wireless printer. The TV swings up. Also, we prefer the sofa across from the dinette, but settled on the roomier galley.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

I wanted the ME but got outvoted. I wanted the ME for the sofa that became a full sized bed. We have three teenagers and the oldest one graciously sleeps on the jack-knife sofa but even sleeping diagonally, his meet hang over.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDirk View Post
As a soon to be new owner, I have my search narrowed down to the two aforementioned rigs. From looking at tons of videos on line and reading spec sheets until I'm blurry-eyed, I'm kind of on the fence. Maybe 51-49 towards the MV.

Any things you really love about the unit you chose or perhaps don't like? Anything you like on the unit you didn't go with that you wish the one you bought might have?

Do both units have functional master beds with the slides in? That would be a big buying point for me. I THINK the MV bed is functional but you lose part of the wardrobe (or drawers). I also heard that the bed on the ME is functional with the slide in but you lose a kitchen cabinet with the super-slide in.

What else do I need to consider between these two units?

Thanks,
Dirk
One of the main things we love about the MV is that "with the slides in, we don't lose anything in the living area. and bath area. However, couple of lower drawers at the foot of the bed are not usable with the bedroom slide in.

To us, the MV is setup so we can take a trip across the country with the slides in, and stop at a campground about every third or fourth day to dump thanks. We like this very much. If we have a need for clothes in those lower drawers at the foot of the bed, the slide can be extended when we stop at a camp ground dump eh tanks.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I wanted the ME for the sofa that became a full sized bed. We have three teenagers and the oldest one graciously sleeps on the jack-knife sofa but even sleeping diagonally, his meet hang over.
Agree with this comment. We're in the midst of replacing the jack-knife with a slide-a-bed (they're already in the 2017 model) in order to have a full size bed. My grown daughter has slept on the jack-knife and it's pretty bad. She also had to sleep diagonally.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #6

His meet. Haha. Sorry. I'm tired.

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Towing 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Old 02-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #7

The sofa's look very similar in the videos. Are you saying they fold out completely different than one another? Not familiar with the jack-knife method you mention.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #8

I'm definitely looking at 2017 models. Do both the MV and the ME, 2017's, have the larger sofa bed?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
The sofa's look very similar in the videos. Are you saying they fold out completely different than one another? Not familiar with the jack-knife method you mention.
Yes, they're completely different. 2017 MV is basically a trifold sofa and is much longer and more comforable. I don't know what sofa the ME has. Whichever one you end up getting, make sure it has the American made Mastercraft slide-a-bed.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:03 AM   #10

When I was looking, the MV had a *lot* more OCCC (carrying capacity, weight to spare) then the ME did. That was a deal breaker for me. I didn't want to buy anything with less then 1750 pounds available to me. I feel I lucked out w/ almost 2100 pounds on a Greyhawk.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #11

We looked at both units and ordered the MV .Took delivery in October.Unfortunately the 2nd ac unit was not an option when we ordered.We liked the opposing slides on the ME but the shower was way to confining and there was no ladder to get on the roof,which was important to me.Outside storage was a little better on the ME,but the inside layout with the big ref. was the deal breaker for us.We added the front entertainment center,which we like very much.We had the grankids stay over and plenty of room on the pull out couch and very comfortable also.Lots of cabinet space,doubt if we will ever fill them all.We did not want to pay $8000. dollars for the full body paint,although it looks nice,to us it was way to expensive.In my opinion the in dash gps could be better and the blue tooth wount hook up to our phones.Other than that we are happy so far,good luck with your choice!
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #12

So, I finally decided on the MV. I hadn't even thought about, or noticed the lack of the ladder on the ME. I am also going to add the entertainment center (looks awesome), the 2nd a/c, and the 12cf refrig (without pantry).

Since the kitchen is going to be a focal point while entertaining, the extra space will come in handy and not losing a cabinet with the slide in (the ME) is kind of important.

Now just have to price them at various locations and order it.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:29 AM   #13

Quote:
So, I finally decided on the MV. I hadn't even thought about, or noticed the lack of the ladder on the ME. I am also going to add the entertainment center (looks awesome), the 2nd a/c, and the 12cf refrig (without pantry).

Since the kitchen is going to be a focal point while entertaining, the extra space will come in handy and not losing a cabinet with the slide in (the ME) is kind of important.

Now just have to price them at various locations and order it.
Good choice. I choose mine for all the same reasons. I got the bigger frig and entertainment center as well and love it. I did not get the 2nd a/c didnt know it was an option at the time. But probably would get if I was doing it over. I got a great deal on mine from Colerain RV in Dayton OH. Check them out they beat the price of any dealer I could find in GA. Enough to more than cover a flight up there and driving it back home.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 AM   #14

Slide goes out the back on the ME, so either no bikes, or you have to take them off to use the slide. Also, no roof ladder. We had one where the slide came out the back, and it was a royal pain to deal with the bikes. FYI, the Greyhawk has the thankless water heater, which is pretty worthless when boondocking. I think that Jayco is still switching them out for a normal water heater at no charge (due to the volume of complaints).
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #15

If you get the 2nd AC unit, is the rig still a 30 amp rig? It would seem that running two 11k ACs would pretty much tap you out on available amps for much else. I really REALLY like the idea of 2 ACs in a longer Greyhawk.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #16

Link for bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Yes, they're completely different. 2017 MV is basically a trifold sofa and is much longer and more comforable. I don't know what sofa the ME has. Whichever one you end up getting, make sure it has the American made Mastercraft slide-a-bed.
Hey Hopper, I Googled that bed and had no luck finding it. Do you have a link for it? If there is anything I would change in my ME it is the horrible Jack-knife bed.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #17

This is who I was dealing with at Mastercraftincorporated.com. "Malinda R. Mills" <showroom@mastercraftincorporated.com>. 888-522-5652

I went back and forth several times with her and decided I had to go back to the dealer for a second look. I'm a bit spooked about the being able to attach it to the floor properly. If the bolt holes don't line up like the jack-knife, then it could be a problem getting it attached to the floor. The slide doesn't extend far enough to expose the inner bolts on the current sofa.

I'm headed over to the dealer in the next week or two to see if they can order one for me and also to eyeball the attachment points. If it appears to be a problem, I'll also have them install it.

FYI, the tag on the sofa had this info on it.

The number on the tag was SBFR-8081-52TC. Also another number was 0283287-61". Description indicated that it is a OA, slide-a-bed, big stit. UPC was SBFR8081TCHCCHT.

She quoted me $1050.90 and shipping is $331.43

Their catalog filesize is too large to attach. If you'd like to see their catalog, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #18

Thanks Hopper

I will keep them in mind... $1400 + Taxes + Exchange rate would be a pretty steep bill right now... I only use the Jack-knife a few times a year... Mostly on "Boys Weekends" to catch a few baseball games... Guess I will just have to keep feeding the friends beer so they sleep through the lumps

When the next rig comes my way... I will be testing the hide-a-bed!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #19

We bought the 2015 29 mv, our primary concern was kitchen counter space, which is huge, the "L" shaped 29me counter space is almost non-existent...
Storage is totally adequate also, the couch is also ok for me, not pulled out it is still ok for a nap, I removed the annoying bumpers at each end of the couch, which gave more room, the padded bumpers also made the couch harder to open, as they bind too tight to the couch ends.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevwb View Post
we bought the 2015 29 mv, our primary concern was kitchen counter space, which is huge, the "l" shaped 29me counter space is almost non-existent...
Storage is totally adequate also, the couch is also ok for me, not pulled out it is still ok for a nap, i removed the annoying bumpers at each end of the couch, which gave more room, the padded bumpers also made the couch harder to open, as they bind too tight to the couch ends.
ditto !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote