Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2019, 04:44 AM   #1

GreyHawk spare tire addition

The DW and I finally decided to add a spare tire to our coach. After reading on the JOF where another owner completed a similar mod, we took the plunge and purchased the BAL Retract a Spare from Amazon and a rim at a salvage yard and proceeded. We installed the spare carrier just behind the grey tank. The frame rails spacing and design is a perfect location.

The most significant alteration we made was to the retract a spare carrier. This carrier is two brackets that can be bolted together to fit different width frame spacing. The width between the greyhawk rails was 41 & 9/16" which was shorter than the main carrier mechanism. So I cut the main carrier support to length. I cut the mounting bracket off of the second support rail and welded the mounting bracket to the cut end of the main carrier support. I then primed, painted it and drilled 4 holes in the frame rails for installation. We'll purchase the spare tire in a couple weeks and complete the install.

Below are a few pics that might help to visually explain the process. I apologize for the picture orientation. The pics were taken with an iPhone and my pics go squirrely when posted in forums.

Safe travels
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1505.jpg   IMG_1495.jpg   IMG_1497.jpg   IMG_1504.jpg  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Nice work! Thank you for the write up. I'm considering doing the same to my GreyHawk.
Mikie5x is offline   Reply With Quote