Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #1

Has anyone added a second AC unit to the rear bedroom on a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV?

We are looking at buying a used 2015 Greyhawk 19mv and this unit has a fan in the bedroom. We will like to have an AC unit in the bedroom. Some newer models have this prewired. Is this the case on the 2015?
JPScalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

2015 did not offer the 2nd a/c as an option, it came with a 15,000 btu. The new units come with a 15,000 or as an option, 2 11,000 btu and a power management system so they can both run off of 30 amp.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #3

My 2018 Greyhawk 31fs (Dual A/C) works fine on 30amps.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
My 2018 Greyhawk 31fs (Dual A/C) works fine on 30amps.
It has 2 11,000 btu and the power management system, that wasn't available in 2015.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #5

I have an uninstalled A/C that I planned to install in the bedroom however, I determined that I could keep cold even on 110 degree days and mine is the 31SS so slightly larger than what you are looking at. The way I do it is to run the A/C normally and if it starts to get warm I first close the curtains to the overhead bed, then if needed I drop a cool looking mountain scenes blanket from the overhead bed to the floor closing off the front cab area, and then still if needed I close off the bedroom door closure and use the "drop" vents on the A/C. I have only needed to do this on the hottest of days (here in Texas) and then as soon as it gets dark outside I open the bedroom back up. In any case, this approach has only been needed on the hottest of days and with this approach I have always been able to stay nice and cold (70~72). In fact, this works so well that I no longer plan to install the second A/C. ~CA
Old 12-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPScalise View Post
We are looking at buying a used 2015 Greyhawk 19mv and this unit has a fan in the bedroom. We will like to have an AC unit in the bedroom. Some newer models have this prewired. Is this the case on the 2015?

What Grumpy said. We're in a 2016 31FK and we roast in the summer sun with one AC.

That said, someone did do it. And I've watched their posts closely. A couple of caveats. Jayco will tell you that there's insufficient support back there for an AC unit. [ I'm planning on ignoring this.

And you'll have to figure out how to get 120V AC to it. Several people just use Romex and fish up what's essentially an extension cord. One person feeds the cord outside and then plugs into the 120V AC receptacle in the pedestal.

You'll want to measure the locked rotor current on your first AC unit - and install a Soft Start if it's too much.

Since I needed a fast solution and needed something to work while we're driving, I bought a used portable AC unit (floor standing) and duct it out a window.

It helps - enough to make summer trips bearable.

Tags
grethwak 29mv ac unit