Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #1

Help no lights

We own 2018 Jayco Seneca

We arrived at camp last night plugged into shore power turned on electric fireplace (take chill off) and had lights on in cabin. All of a sudden we lose all power except the microwave works, fireplace continued to work, and all power outlets work. I thought maybe it’s a gfi. Searched trailer inside and out no gfi plug anywhere to be found. Batteries are all charged. No power at the fuse panel and no power to the breakers. I also have no power to my main power button by door. My generator turns on but still no change in what works and does not work. I am out of options but then I found This fuse above batteries that keeps blowing at bottom of soloniod. I cant get fuse in it or it burns up. Wondering if thus part could have gone bad and if so would this cause all my light issues/problems. Also my slides are extended and have no power to pull back in. I would Drive to ship but I was Able to manually pull in large living room slide but can not find any way to pull in bedroom slide so I’m stuck and can’t move. Anyone know how to manually pull in bedroom slide on this thing or suggestions on how or why no power. Had repair man here 5 hours. Sent him away Same issues. He was of no help.
DesAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

I'm only able to throw out thoughts on your problem, so the first one is, since you say every outlet works, then the problem lies in the 12 volt side, which is the lights and slide motors. There has to be power to the breakers in order for the 110 volt side to be still working unless it's an inverter, and it's depleting the batteries trying to power the outlets/ microwave, etc. Since there's a fuse of some kind near the battery, it's 12 volts also. Now, I'm thinking there's a dead short that's causing that fuse to blow on contact. Maybe something wrong with the generator transfer switch. It's going to take some tracing, and investigating to find that. What did the mobile tech do, or say while he was working on it?

These are only my random ideas, since I don't have a generator, or inverter system. Good luck, and keep us up on what you may find.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

Here is a drawing of the 12 volt layout. Might give you an idea of where to start.

There are videos online regarding the swintec slides and how to release the motors to get the slide in. Not easy but it can be done. Attachment 55785
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #4

Since your 120 volt side works you can ignore that part of the equation. The transfer switch is controlled by 120 volts so that would not be your problem.

You have lost the 12 volt feed to the fuse panel it sounds like. As you are blowing the fuse at the battery end of things I would suspect a shorted power line between the battery and fuse panel. Once it gets to the fuse panel there are individual fuses protecting all the individual circuits. If one circuit had a short then its fuse would be the only one blowing and the other circuits would still work.

See if you can follow the wire from the fuse that blows. I would guess that it may be shorted to the frame somewhere. Just a guess and at least some place to start.

Lastly, here is an old joke about finding a short. If you want to find the location of the short you simply jumper out the fuse. Then the wiring will simply burn up right up to the location of the short. This is just a joke and should NEVER be done.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
CAG

I have heard where some have had a loose connection at the buss or in that area. Screw holding the wire works loose and causes a short. Just an uneducated guess but who knows?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesAZ View Post
We own 2018 Jayco Seneca

We arrived at camp last night plugged into shore power turned on electric fireplace (take chill off) and had lights on in cabin. All of a sudden we lose all power except the microwave works, fireplace continued to work, and all power outlets work. I thought maybe it’s a gfi. Searched trailer inside and out no gfi plug anywhere to be found. Batteries are all charged. No power at the fuse panel and no power to the breakers. I also have no power to my main power button by door. My generator turns on but still no change in what works and does not work. I am out of options but then I found This fuse above batteries that keeps blowing at bottom of soloniod. I cant get fuse in it or it burns up. Wondering if thus part could have gone bad and if so would this cause all my light issues/problems. Also my slides are extended and have no power to pull back in. I would Drive to ship but I was Able to manually pull in large living room slide but can not find any way to pull in bedroom slide so I’m stuck and can’t move. Anyone know how to manually pull in bedroom slide on this thing or suggestions on how or why no power. Had repair man here 5 hours. Sent him away Same issues. He was of no help.

In addition to what has been suggested above do you have visible access to the the motor that runs the bedroom slide? You could run 12V (battery cables, etc) specifically to the motor and get the slide to come in, then be mobile and run some electrical testing at home or get it to a Dealer.

Tags
no lights, power lose