Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #1

House battery

Can I change the wet cell group 27 house battery to an AGM or Gel cell? Thanks for your replies.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Can I change the wet cell group 27 house battery to an AGM or Gel cell? Thanks for your replies.
It depends on which converter/charger you have. The newer smart chargers automatically detect AGM and work fine. I think there are modifications that need to be done for GEL.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #3

It's a 2018 Redhawk. Thanks!
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #4

With our 2018 redhawk 29xk and only the one slide out tray. I removed the interstate group 27 battery, removed the battery tray, removed rivets in corner and welded together so i could fit a 12v Trojan t1275 in there. Had to install new much larger battery in tray and reinstall tray and slide arms all as one with very minimal clearance at top sliding tray back in. Now with that one large 150 ah agm battery and had 200w solar panel installed it stays charged all the time without the need for generator to charge battery.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #5

I removed my single group 27. I installed two 6 volt 300ah AGM batteries in the next compartment. I installed unistrut to reinforce the floor.
No change to any charging equipment, and the existing cables even reached perfectly. I contacted Lifeline and told them what converter I have, and they said it would work fine with their AGM batteries.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:21 PM   #6

Agm

I have always changed out the stock battery for an AGM. Just measure to see the dimension that will fit and get the largest you can. In our 2020 Greyhawk we went with a group 30 AGM.
Smitty814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty814 View Post
I have always changed out the stock battery for an AGM. Just measure to see the dimension that will fit and get the largest you can. In our 2020 Greyhawk we went with a group 30 AGM.
Smitty,
We are first time RVers and new owners of 2020 Greyhawk 30X. We are currently visiting family and we are “camped out” on the curb. Our house battery barely last a day, and fridge starts erroring by morning. We use the gen to charge everyday. I am looking to upgrade my battery. 1.) will changing the battery out myself void the warranty? 2.) looks like there’s enough room for a second battery, can I add another? 3.) would a group 30 agm be the right battery For my model? Any help to this noob would be greatly appeciated.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty814 View Post
2018 Greyhawk here, I would guess our size 27 would also fit a group 30 AGM. I will make sure as i am a big fan of AGM batteries.
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote