Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2021, 11:07 AM   #1

House battery disconnect dead every couple of weeks

Hi all!

Just read a bunch of threads relating to battery disconnect switch, but not sure if any spoke to my specific issue. So, apologies if this is a dead horse subject!

We store our 29MV at a facility an religiously go by every 2 weeks to start it up, run the generator and AC to put some load on it. Recently, when we first open the door and press the main power/battery disconnect switch, there is nothing - no click and no light. After starting the engine and letting it run for a few minutes, the switch then works. House battery shows charged. I did pop the house battery open and added some water to fill it, but that seems to have not helped. House battery is about 3.5 years old.

Is it definitely the battery, or is there something else I should be looking at as well?

Thank you!!
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #2

Test it yourself or take to an auto parts store

House batteries don't last forever. I will start disconnecting my batter since it died within 2 years, but I boondock a lot

Also

A dead batter will take hrs and hrs to charge.a false reading on your Guage will show charged and change in a out 10min to almost dead....fyi
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

How old is the battery? A well maintained battery will last 5+ years, possibly 9-10 years.

The battery charge indicator will show a full charge if the chassis is running or if you have 120 v power. The real test is to check the battery when disconnected. Ideally after sitting an hour or two after being charged.

You mentioned adding water. Do you use distilled water or some other water? Aka bottle or tap water.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:20 PM   #4

Take the battery to a battery store and have it "Load Tested".
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #5

Agreed, starting the generator helps the generator but unless it’s running for “hours and hours” it won’t add much charge to the battery.

When you are running the generator the batteries will show around 13.3-14.4 volts. When you shut down the generator it will still show over 13 volts appearing to be charged.
The batteries must rest for at least 30 minutes to an hour before you check the voltage.

Name:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  24.4 KB