Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2019, 06:23 AM   #1

House Breaker

I have a question that maybe someone in here can help me with. I have an Entegra Odyssey (same as a Greyhawk, Redhawk) there is a breaker on the wall when you walk in the door that shuts down everything in the coach except the power entry step. If the RV is connected to shore power and the breaker is off will the house battery still charge? Can't find the answer in any manuals.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

I don’t have those models, but I have the same disconnect switch on my rig...and yes, my house battery charges with it off.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer40 View Post
I have a question that maybe someone in here can help me with. I have an Entegra Odyssey (same as a Greyhawk, Redhawk) there is a breaker on the wall when you walk in the door that shuts down everything in the coach except the power entry step. If the RV is connected to shore power and the breaker is off will the house battery still charge? Can't find the answer in any manuals.
The power entry step works off of the chassis battery. And yes, the house battery charges off of shore power when that switch is turned off. But, I would check, your chassis battery, (at least mine) does NOT charge when plugged into shore power, so if the rig is sitting for a long time, check the voltage on the chassis battery.

You can put a volt meter on your chassis battery and check voltages before you plug into shore power and after, to see if the voltage jumps up. That will tell you if the chassis battery charges on shore power. I had to put in a separate trickle charger to keep my chassis battery charged over the Winter.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #4

When I park my 24B for a few days or week I shut off the inside lower battery disconnect. This way the smoke and propane sensor detectors will not drain the camper battery, The lower step will still work off the truck battery. I do this so the camper battery does not drain when not in use . I turn the disconnect back on When I plug in external power to get the refrigerator cold. Then switch over to propane when leaving for a trip.
onsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

I thought the house battery shut off switch breaks the connection completely , and not charge when power cord plugged in unless the battery disconnect switch is on.
Am I wrong about this?
onsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsite View Post
I thought the house battery shut off switch breaks the connection completely , and not charge when power cord plugged in unless the battery disconnect switch is on.
Am I wrong about this?

My house batteries charge from shore power when the main battery switch switch is off. Might be why there are multiple wires attached to the positive battery terminal. Not all of them get disconnected from the toggle relay.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote