Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #21

Another way

Just a thought the Camp Chef line of portable stoves available in 2&3 burner sizes. Griddles are in multiple sizes 1-2 or cover all 3 burners. Grills in single or double sizes. Lots of other camp cooking supplies as well.
Inspector4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector4 View Post
Just a thought the Camp Chef line of portable stoves available in 2&3 burner sizes. Griddles are in multiple sizes 1-2 or cover all 3 burners. Grills in single or double sizes. Lots of other camp cooking supplies as well.
I love the camp chef line. very versatile and can be switched back and forth between the trailer low pressure line and the tanks.
I retired my old coleman for the very same issue as the OP.
Stever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #23

Stove propane sourced from camper LP

Hello,
I have shown how I made an outdoor grill/stove assembly for my camper in the "Jay Feather X23B Outside Stove Question" thread in the Jayco Hybrid forum. Look it over and see if that info may answer your question. Happy to answer any issues you might have that were not covered.
Good luck,
Bert
Neandertalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #24

Your Jayco should come with a aux line IF you got the grille with the RV. IF not ask the person who sold it to you where it is!
rcflyertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #25

SloPoke, I installed an Extend-a-stay last summer. No problems so far. Good advice on checking the burners on the outside grill.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #26

You should have gotten a short hose with fittings in otder to hook up your portable grill. I use mine quite a bit.
Dennis Eddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazman View Post
I have a simple question for a lot of campers...
My 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24K has an external propane line with quick connect collar and switch. What type of kit do I need in order to connect a camp stove? The camp stove typically gets a little 1 lb tank screwed right onto it. Is the RV line un-regulated? Is the stove expecting a regulator?
My Jayco also had a access line at the rear of the trailer but it was under the trailer and difficult to get it plugged in, so I got tubing to extend it and just turn the valve now and leave the extension attached to the bumper where I can easily get to it to turn it on. I think there is regulator on the Jayco stove. Sometimes there is a problem because the lines run the length of the trailer from the main tanks.
I thought all stoves had a regulator for the type of burner it had no matter what the source of the gas.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #28

scapel, All stoves should come with a regulator. The main point to remember is that you should never have 2 regulators in line. Since the trailer's built-in quick connect is regulated at 11 inch WC you should remove the stove's regulator and make sure the stove operates at 11 inch WC (not PSIs) before connecting the stove directly to the trailer's quick connection.

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #29

My husband mentioned something I want to add... Time of day matters alot too. Wind is usually calmer earlier on in the day, and afternoons get worse, but then wind can drop off around dusk (but then you are dealing with darkness, so there's that). The weather app will tell you what will wind is at for each hour of the day. Plan your day accordingly.

We had more than a few days when our travel plans had to be adjusted. One time particularly stands out in my mind. We stopped and found an RV park early because of the wind, but we still had an appointment we needed to keep in a town over an hour away, so we left the camper in the park and drove the toad to our appointment. On our way back home we saw a camper in the ditch, and it was tragic! The thing was in pieces and shredded with debris and belongings littering the ditch. No one was there so whoever had been driving it had very likely been picked up and sent to hospital, but the scene of the wreck is a strong reminder to us... DO NOT DRIVE IN STRONG WINDS. Public service announcement for the day! 💕💖💕
Woldum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #30
75H

Our Experience

300 views a day, good job Imazman, lots of great responses! You mention camp stove, our experience is with a portable bbq. Since we've been full circle (1# disposable-connected-back to 1# disposable), I wanted to add to the discussion.

For weekend-type camping, I found it preferable to set up the bbq wherever I wanted in relation to the motorhome. This may be a cement table too far for hose(s) to reach. Disposable cylinders work fine for the amount of grilling we do, however I understand those who cook more frequently wanting to use on-board propane.

With the connected method, I'd also think about the bbq's position in relation to the motor home's gas tank, something that didn't cross my mind as a previous travel trailer owner. And then the hose being a tripping hazard, which could bring down the whole works.

The kicker was finding a portable bbq that fits perfectly in the motorhome's passenger side rear storage compartment. It is a model that requires a regulator - so 'back to' 1# cylinders we went. Storage won out.

I also agree with North of 49 degrees; we connected a fire bowl for the first time last weekend and were able to bbq near heat while watching the game & cooking. Likey the fire bowl connection, much better than carrying around a big cylinder!

Connecting the bbq? Tried it, can take it or leave it. A friend of mine got pretty badly burned once using a propane grill, so it doesn't hurt to read all the safety warnings especially if making modifications.

2018 Greyhawk 29 MVP
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #31

Most of the questions have been answered here, like double regulators, etc on that gas line. Id be careful about removing your current grill regulator, and the gas quick connect lines that are out there claiming to be adaptable to your grill.

The problem is that there really isnt a lot of grills out there with a quick disconnect for RVs. We purchased a Camco Olympian 5500 grill, and it gets HOT. Almost a broiler/grill in one when the lid is closed. I adjusted cooking times, and it has put out perfect med-rare steaks every time.
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #32

I keep reading "double regulated". A regulators purpose is to reduce pressure to that the regulator is set at or built for. If the input pressure is already at that the regulator does not reduce it further. The regulator will do nothing and just let gas through. Remember. It reduces pressure to a predetermined level. If the pressure is at that level it does nothing more.
Rick 17RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #33

Rick_17RB, Where did you get that information? If you have a source, please post it. I don't believe a regulator acts as a "pass-through" if the incoming pressure is already set to the regulator's output pressure. When you're talking about 11 inches WC the slightest reduction would make the grill inefficient.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #34

Mine works just fine done that exact way. Why would they sell that kit with same thread configuration as the little green bottles if it didn't?

As for the thinking I'm a retired engineer that's taken them apart is all I got. The logic and mechanics are good.
Rick 17RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #35

Glad to hear that it works fine. Since I have no reason to do that I'll take your word of it. BTW, I did think of a reason why you might want to have 2 regulators in-line. If you have to make a long run of say 25 to 50 feet from a large propane tank to the grill you should put a 10-15 PSI regulator at the tank to eliminate oil build-up in the long hose and to prevent the hose from being pressurized to 200 PSI (which can be the unregulated tank pressure). That hose, reduced to 10-15 PSI, would be connected to the grill's regulator to be further reduced to 11 inches WC.