Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

How to Hook up camp stove to external propane outlet

I have a simple question for a lot of campers...
My 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24K has an external propane line with quick connect collar and switch. What type of kit do I need in order to connect a camp stove? The camp stove typically gets a little 1 lb tank screwed right onto it. Is the RV line un-regulated? Is the stove expecting a regulator?
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazman View Post
I have a simple question for a lot of campers...

My 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24K has an external propane line with quick connect collar and switch. What type of kit do I need in order to connect a camp stove? The camp stove typically gets a little 1 lb tank screwed right onto it. Is the RV line un-regulated? Is the stove expecting a regulator?

This is all you will need. The line from the RV tank is already regulated.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	46593
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
this is all you will need. The line from the rv tank is already regulated.Attachment 46593

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	46594
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #4

That won't work since it would be double regulated. You need to eliminate the regulator at the stove. A propane supplier should be able to make a hose for you.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That won't work since it would be double regulated. You need to eliminate the regulator at the stove. A propane supplier should be able to make a hose for you.

You are correct, my mistake. I forgot about the regulator already being on the stove. He could T off of the RV tank before the regulator, but that would defeat them use of the quick connect outlet already plumbed by Jayco.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

You need to remove the regulator on your grill. This may be simple or difficult dependent upon your grill's set up. I have a Coleman XLE I purchased two items. First, KIBOW 10Ft Low Pressure Propane Quick-Connect Hose- 1/4” Safety Shutoff Valve & Male Full Flow Plug for RVs on Amazon. I then removed the regulator and put on a quick connect male coupler. I purchased Sturgi-Safe Roadtrip LXE Low Pressure Quick Disconnect Conversion Fitting, again on Amazon. Search by your model of grill. Other option is to go in before your RV regulator and install high pressure connection.
My set up works really well. No more baby tanks running out in the middle of grilling.
Cheers
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #7

That question isn't always as simple as it seems.

What type of kit do I need in order to connect a camp stove?
- That depends on the stove. Some brands sell a conversion kit or hose to replace the regulator, many stoves can simply use a generic kit, some stoves can't be easily connected (Coleman multifuel and liquid gas stoves need a higher pressure than what's available from the rv quick connect, but can be directly connected to a propane tank).
It would help to know the brand and model of the stove you're trying to adapt.

Is the RV line un-regulated?
- No, the lines in an rv are regulated. There are multiple problems with running high pressure propane through long lines.

Is the stove expecting a regulator? - Yes, whether the propane comes from a 1lb, 20lb, or larger tank, the pressure needs to be reduced to be usable, and once it's "regulated" it can't be "re-regulated". Meaning since there is a regulator on the rv tank you can't run the gas through a second regulator and expect an appliance to work.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

Just get a 5lb or 10lb tank and be done with it.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Easiest solution for hooking up a propane accessory...unless part of your goal is to not carry additional propane tanks. You've got lots of propane on board, why carry more if you can avoid it.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
X2 I've seen several small tanks used over the years where campers place their portable grills on the picnic table or take them next door where the group meets. Fort Stevens at Astoria is a good example of that almost every weekend throughout the year. They and we have a great time cooking, watching a game or just talking and telling jokes. The kids ride in and grab a bite and their off again. The week days are as quiet as church, (after summer).
Old 01-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #11

My stove is an old Colman (but in like new condition), probably 30 years old. It is two burner but a "double in height" compared to newer models that reduced their height drastically. The stove has a short aluminum propane pipe that screws into the stove and then the propane tank screws into the pipe. I believe the little pipe has a black thingy on it which I bet is a regulator of some kind...perhaps I can just not use that it I can find the correct adapter.

I also have a small Weber grill (the little mobile camping ones that can be put on a set of accessory legs. I will have to see if that will come off.

Well I was expecting there was going to be a simple answer that would work for both appliances and it looks like not. However, I do have a much better understanding of how they work, what my different options are, and what I need to look for. I definitely don't want to carry around an extra big tank. I will take a closer look at my Weber tonight...and the stove's screw connection for the connector pipe.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #12

if you just want to go from the 20lb to the stove and the stove has a regulator get one of these... simple Simon..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-One-Pro...339d:rk:1:pf:0

if you want to T off the copper piping then that is a whole different groups of parts...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #13

i got everything i needed from propanegear.com
Old 01-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #14

"the little pipe has a black thingy on it which I bet is a regulator of some kind" - exactly, but it's a higher pressure regulator than the pressure from the quick connect fitting on the rv, so it needs to be connected directly to a tank/bottle.

The weber grill is easy, just remove the regulator and replace it with a hose with a quick connect fitting on one end.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #15

learned the hard way on this topic...

Previous motor-home had a connector where we hooked the camp stove to the Motorhome gas supply (extend a stay adapter).

We are at a 4-day music festival (Country Jam Colorado) and the campground is packed wall to wall RV's.

Not sure who or why, but someone left one of the burners of the camp stove ON after we went to bed. No propane in the Motor home tank the next day... fridge has no propane to cool it... BIG problem, as the motor home can't be moved for 3 more days.

So we used the Extend a Stay with a friends portable BBQ bottle to get by the next days. Now, we use the Camp stove with it's own propane bottle, turn the bottle off after every use.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
"the little pipe has a black thingy on it which I bet is a regulator of some kind" - exactly, but it's a higher pressure regulator than the pressure from the quick connect fitting on the rv, so it needs to be connected directly to a tank/bottle.

The weber grill is easy, just remove the regulator and replace it with a hose with a quick connect fitting on one end.
EvilDoer, after extensive research on various websites and videos you are SPOT ON. You have confirmed another's mention of the stove I have needing 10# even with a regulator and that RV's are only 0.5# output. For the stove I'm SOL. The grill, I will be removing the regulator and replacing with quick connect and 1/4" female to 1/8" female reducer...totaling $12. Will also put a quick connect on regulator so I can use it stand alone with original 1# bottles if I desire. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #17

@slowpoke
Good story, very valuable, thank you for the precaution...based on what can happen I will always be shutting off the safety valves!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #18

FWIW, here's a little write-up that I did when I converted our Weber to run off the trailers quick connect. Modding the fire pit was even easier: just replace the hose.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...t-26080-4.html
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
FWIW, here's a little write-up that I did when I converted our Weber to run off the trailers quick connect. Modding the fire pit was even easier: just replace the hose.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...t-26080-4.html
Thanks for the link and the write up!
Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #20

Indoor gas appliances are regulated by a two stage regulator that provides 11 inch WC (water column) of pressure. Many outdoor gas appliances have a single stage regulator that regulates in PSIs (pounds per square inch) which is a much higher pressure. My old outdoor Coleman cooktop operates at 10-15 PSI. I could eliminate the single stage regulator and hook it directly to the trailer's quick connect and it would work but the flame would be extremely low and it would take hours to boil water. In other words, you can't just hook any outdoor appliance to the vehicle's quick connect and expect it to perform as designed. BTW, the popular Blackstone griddles operate at 11 inch WC so you can eliminate the single stage regulator and hook them directly to the trailer's quick connect.

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote