Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #1

Jayco 2017 Melborne 24 ft MB chassis

Our Jayco Melborne 2017 24ft.has been a fine rig,,,the Mercedes chassis is wonderful and the suspension works decent fr and rear...motor and trans are fantastic and easy to drive..except its a HUGE PAIN to adjust the seat back while driving or resting as a passenger.....terrible design , a round knob you can barely reach or turn ..instead of a instantly usable side lever....ridiculous. The RV part is fairly tight and quiet , EXCEPT every window..they all come lose and leak air and rattle and the main door leaks air big time and drives us nuts....that and the (can't believe we didn't notice this) lack of slide out toppers..we installed a rear one where we sleep...(learned that when it snowed on us one night.)..brought the snow in with the slider...not cool. And the rear mattress cannot easily be made to a sleeper for relaxing while rolling down the road. Oh and its hot in the summer and cold in the winter due to not enough insulation...and no heat vent in the bathroom. No long valve stems for checking tire pressure in duallys....no hole in water bay for hose to pass thru so you can shut door. roof vent should blow both ways , doesn't....very cheezy radio and speakers....oh if we knew then what we know now....we got rid of a 2016 custom order Winnie View to get this...something fell apart every time we used it. We are enjoying the Jayco...The third time will be the charm...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1124.jpg  
tonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #2

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonewall View Post
Our Jayco Melborne 2017 24ft.has been a fine rig,,,the Mercedes chassis is wonderful and the suspension works decent fr and rear...motor and trans are fantastic and easy to drive..except its a HUGE PAIN to adjust the seat back while driving or resting as a passenger.....terrible design , a round knob you can barely reach or turn ..instead of a instantly usable side lever....ridiculous. The RV part is fairly tight and quiet , EXCEPT every window..they all come lose and leak air and rattle and the main door leaks air big time and drives us nuts....that and the (can't believe we didn't notice this) lack of slide out toppers..we installed a rear one where we sleep...(learned that when it snowed on us one night.)..brought the snow in with the slider...not cool. And the rear mattress cannot easily be made to a sleeper for relaxing while rolling down the road. Oh and its hot in the summer and cold in the winter due to not enough insulation...and no heat vent in the bathroom. No long valve stems for checking tire pressure in duallys....no hole in water bay for hose to pass thru so you can shut door. roof vent should blow both ways , doesn't....very cheezy radio and speakers....oh if we knew then what we know now....we got rid of a 2016 custom order Winnie View to get this...something fell apart every time we used it. We are enjoying the Jayco...The third time will be the charm...
After reading your other 3 posts I think I have a better handle on whether you like your Melbourne. Not sure if you have a 2016 or 2017 and I am now confused if it was the Winnie that didn't have the hole in the water bay or is your Melbourne. If you have a 2016 like you mentioned your other posts, mine did come with one so yours may have been left off.
I don't think most dual wheel vehicles come with the extended valves to easily check the air pressure. You want to go with all metal stems (search the Sprinter-forum for why) and this is what I used http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/kit4u18.html. The only other brand that I know of made for Sprinters is Dually valve. Neither option is cheap but well worth the money.
I didn't notice that the coach is lacking of insulation but we use reflectix over all the windows for privacy and to help with the heat. We leave the bedroom, cab and bath windows covered all the time while camping (bath and bedroom all the time). We will cover the dinette and door depending on how the RV is positioned (direction) and time of day. I don't have a reference of how it is without this but we find it comfortable in the hot humid south and camping in temps down to freezing temps.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

We've had ours for almost 2 1/2 years, and we're nearing 30,000 miles of travel. We love it. We do have the "hole", we had slide toppers installed, insulation seems fine to us (even in the mountains), we've tweaked the entry door so it only rattles when we're going down the road in 35+ mph winds, our radio/tv system has never failed us. We have had very few issues with ours - a couple of warranty things that were taken care of, and we made a few mods to make it ours. We do agree that the bathroom should have heat (it does have AC). Get yourself a Winnebago View, and you'll pay $35,000 more than you did for the Melbourne (we shopped around). The View has a tiny, tiny fridge, no side windows in the bed area, no trap doors under the benches, doesn't have three cargo door entrances in the back, has framed windows which to us are far less attractive, small entry door window, smaller microwave/convection oven, doesn't have the small table for driver/passenger seat, no bathroom window, less interior/exterior storage space, ugly "Euro Modern" cabinetry, bar under the dining table to obstruct leg movement, the bed is just as hard to deal with except that it does have a nice under-mattress system. I could go on with the negatives of the View with the large price tag. We'll keep our Melbourne, thank you!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
After reading your other 3 posts I think I have a better handle on whether you like your Melbourne. Not sure if you have a 2016 or 2017 and I am now confused if it was the Winnie that didn't have the hole in the water bay or is your Melbourne.
You mentioned you had a 2016 in previous posts. This thread says 2017.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #6

Yeah, I was a little puzzled with the post. Had a 2016 custom ordered View and then dumped it for what looks like a 2016 Melbourne (side windows on rear slide is my clue – unless some 2017 had these as well). Regardless, even if a 2017, (1) year seems like a really short length of ownership to drop one and grab another, unless you are a Kennedy or the Osborne's being handed a Pleasure Way...LOL. I don’t know, on my list of gripes the drivers seat knob is pretty far down. After sitting in the no leg room Ford models, the cab of the Melbourne was among the top selling points for my big frame. This has been my first and only RV so I really don’t have anything to compare it to. I am among the folks who do like the modern looking cabinetry which would honestly go better with what I consider a modern looking rig. However that is just my taste even though my pocketbook landed me in the less expensive (for a Sprinter anyway) Melbourne. I have pretty much fixed any minor issues that have come up (and there have been a few) but nothing that has ever landed me at the dealer for repair. The noisy door may be the only thing I really should have probably got checked out but apparently this is the norm and sooner or later I will view enough videos to fix it myself. Just wished I could spend more time camping in it than I do watching it sit in the storage lot ..

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #7

Must be a 2016 or early 2017, because his picture shows a window in the back of the back slide. I believe the later 2017s eliminated the back window altogether. Ours is an early 2017, purchased in May of 2016. All recent Melbournes still have the side back slide windows, but Views don't.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #8

Oh yeah, I forgot is was the back window that was eliminated not the side windows.

Okay, don't want to be a stalker but an album was started 12/15 showing the rig so I assume 2016 was the official birth year.

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 09-15-2023, 09:47 AM   #9

have cracked/broken wheel cover on front. Jayco parts was not able to help me, anyone know where I can buy a new one? My MH is a 2018 Melbourne Prestige.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...80ytGDY-9GohgA
Colorado Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #10

Greg - link didn't work for me.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
have cracked/broken wheel cover on front. Jayco parts was not able to help me, anyone know where I can buy a new one? My MH is a 2018 Melbourne Prestige.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...80ytGDY-9GohgA

I can't figure out how to post a photo or screen shot other than this link
Old 09-15-2023, 06:10 PM   #12

If I still had mine, I would give them to you. Do yourself a favor and ditch the wheel covers and paint your wheels. There are stories of them flying off and doing damage. One story of one cutting a valve stem as it flew off.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:14 PM   #13

To insert a picture into a post click the "go advanced" tab below the text box. Then click the paper clip icon next to the smiley face and then choose the file location of the picture on your device.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
I can't figure out how to post a photo or screen shot other than this link

Yeah, from google photos, you can either download or, if you're on Windows, I usually fire up the "Snip" app and just copy it off the screen. Once you have the image on your PC, then you can upload it here.

I've had hit or miss luck with public links on Google photos.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
If I still had mine, I would give them to you. Do yourself a favor and ditch the wheel covers and paint your wheels. There are stories of them flying off and doing damage. One story of one cutting a valve stem as it flew off.

My covers are small that mostly just cover the hubs and actually are held in place by 3 screws. Sorry to hear about the flying covers, yikes!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-09-15 12.23.52 PM.png  
Old 09-16-2023, 08:29 AM   #16

Thanks appreciate the help...learned a new trick Here's the wheel cover I am looking for. It's roughly 10" in diameter.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-09-15 12.23.52 PM.png  
Old 09-16-2023, 09:20 AM   #17

Sounds like you may have Aluminum wheels. Alcoa makes a lot of the aluminum wheels for RV's but the ones I have seen say Alcoa in the center. In the sales brochure for your model does it indicate a manufacture for the wheels? I did a quick search and didn't find anything that looks like what you have.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Sounds like you may have Aluminum wheels. Alcoa makes a lot of the aluminum wheels for RV's but the ones I have seen say Alcoa in the center. In the sales brochure for your model does it indicate a manufacture for the wheels? I did a quick search and didn't find anything that looks like what you have.
Thanks, they are aluminum, I'll check out Alcoa, see if I can find the info in the manual as well, maybe even take a wheel off and see if I can any info. Appreciate it!