Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2022, 07:51 PM   #1

Jayco Odessey Entegra Hub Caps and Valve Stems

Need help on inflating tires on 2022 Ford E450 Odyssey Entegra 26m.

The issue is the rear dual tires have valve stems that are too short or not visible thru the holess in the hub cap.

I tried to take off the center cap with faux appearance lug nuts. It is plastic cap. I could not remove it thus I never got to the hub cap removal to expose the valve stems.

I went to a tire store and they also could not remove it and said their inflator was not angled to even fit on the outer wheel stem if we even had clearances.

Any advice on how to remove the center cap?

Are there better more rigid valve extenders for the inner and outer tires to avoid the steps of removing the cap and hubcap?

My rear inner tires have soft valve extenders it appears like a rope.
Rvman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:14 PM   #2

I have a Redhawk and all I do is get a pry bar and pry the hubcap at the edge and separate it from the rim like cars from the 70's. Slowly pry one spot and work your way around until it pops off.

To reinstall, use a rubber mallet and tap all around the circumference of the hubcap.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:14 AM   #3

Harbor Freight or Walmart sells a tire mallet. Has hub cap remover and rubber mallet in one. Must have item along with a compressor on board.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STEELMAN-...mover/39587012
Kennybarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:36 AM   #4

Entegra Odyssey 26m tire hub and valve issue

Thanks Kenny.

Bought the tool suggested.
Will see how it works.

Go Dodgers.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:19 AM   #5

Jayco Odyssey 26m Tire and Valves

Went to Ford...sent me to Rush Ford Truck Service.

Nice man showed me what to do. Turns out the rear cap is ONE piece. No center cap to remove after all.

Going to need valve extenders especially for outside tire. Going to Camping World to see if they have them.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #6

Jayco Entegra Odyssey 26m valve extenders

On the Ford E450 chassis with the dually wheels in the rear has anyone used valve extenders and if so, what type and size (angle) did you use for the front wheels, the inner rear wheel and the rear outer wheel.

Right now all are hard to access without removing the hubcaps.

The rear inside tires do have extenders but they are the braided flexible type that get lost inside the hubcap as they must move around. I would prefer the steel straight style but not sure what length...2,3,4 inches.

The outer wheel is most difficult now as the valve stem points inward and it seems to me a 90 degree may be best but they also sell 45, 135 and 180 degree styles.

The front wheel points out but not long enough...would a 2 inch straight work best?
Old 10-11-2022, 04:43 PM   #7

I tried valve extenders to fix the same problems you have. It was an epic fail. They started losing air while driving but thankfully I had the tire pressure monitor displayed and could see the pressure dropping. I pulled over, removed the extenders and aired up the tires. It was a puckering moment. When I returned the extenders I found the disclaimer that said, "do not use while vehicle is in motion", something like that.

I ended up removing all the hubcaps and purchased a Milton angled chuck to air up the tires. With the dual angle chuck, I'm able to reach all valves, as-is.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #8

Reply to NYCAN

Thanks for experience share. Something to dwell on.

What type of roadside air compressor do you use?
Old 10-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #9

I purchased a Viair 400P, expensive but worth it. I also added a digital air inflator gage and added a Milton S-690 angled chuck. I use it every trip.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:16 PM   #10

Reply to NYCAN

Thanks again.

I bought the Viair 450p rv but have not used it yet. We are new to the RV experience. Only local trips thus far.

Given what you have said the Milton chuck obviously connects to the Viair. Checking the price of the Milton can't go wrong, worth a try.

Guess removing the hubcaps will be a necessary evil!
Old 10-11-2022, 05:23 PM   #11

I've considered reinstalling the hubcaps and then adding these, Alligator V2B Inflate Through Valve Stem Caps. They extend the valve and eliminate the need for the screw-on plastic valve caps. Haven't tried it yet but maybe others can comment on the V2B.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:40 PM   #12

I carry one of those angled dual head chuck with a 3/8" pneumatic quick disconnect. Some places like Costco has air chucks that won't work on duallys. At least with the one I have, I can remove their chuck and attach mine on to air up my tires.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #13

I also have the Entegra Odyssey. You are correct in removing the entire hub cap from the wheel. I don't have to remove the front ones to put air in but I do have to remove the rear. I found a small removal bar at a flea market for $1 that I use and it works well. You will need a rubber mallet to install it back on. It will also be easier to use the dual type tire inflater like truckers use. I also use the same type with a digital air gauge on it to check the pressure. The MOST important thing you want on your tires is a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). I wouldn't leave home without one. Not only will it alert you to a slow leak but also high temperatures.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:23 PM   #14

Reply to joey 55

Thanks for your feedback on tire inflation. I bought a Steel man tire iron to pop the caps and the flip side has a rubber mallet head.

What TPMS system do you use and recommend?

Just curious as a fellow Odyssey owner what model year do you own and did you experience any issues with the vinyl flooring. Ours after 9 months has yellow spots leaching thru and the dealer is filing a warranty claim with Jayco to replace the floor. Apparently this is a known issue to Jayco as bad glue was used on some coaches.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #15

RVMan22, my first TPMS was just for 6 tires but when I purchased a four wheel down car to tow I had to buy a 10 tire monitoring system. I now use the TST brand but I found the six tire system I purchased on EBay working just fine. I noticed some floor discoloration under the table area but I'm out of warranty now.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
RVMan22, my first TPMS was just for 6 tires but when I purchased a four wheel down car to tow I had to buy a 10 tire monitoring system. I now use the TST brand but I found the six tire system I purchased on EBay working just fine. I noticed some floor discoloration under the table area but I'm out of warranty now.
Your post is a little confusing. Are you now using the TST brand which is a 10-tire system? Is TST the actual brand or an abbreviation? Most importantly, what you seemed to have left out, what is the name of the 6-tire TPMS that you bought off Ebay?
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #17

A little bit of thread hijacking if you don't mind

See sig for model. The rear hubcaps are long gone when I bought the unit last June and I don't care. Less to worry about.

My problem is on the rear there are no valve stems visible at all. I know there has to be valve stems, but they cannot be seen from the outside. When I had new tires installed - 3 days after purchase - I said something about it. The owner of the shop showed me extensions, roughly $60+ if I remember correctly. That may be for one side. I do remember they were solid, not flexible.

Has anybody used these and are they worth it?

2nd question: These things take 80# of air. Most air pumps can barely do 35. Where do you get your air? Especially on the road.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Your post is a little confusing. Are you now using the TST brand which is a 10-tire system? Is TST the actual brand or an abbreviation? Most importantly, what you seemed to have left out, what is the name of the 6-tire TPMS that you bought off Ebay?
Smokey,

I have a TST (Truck Systems Technology) TPMS system. It works great. I bought it through Amazon.

I forget how many tires it will handle, but I only have 4 monitors set up for my TT.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:04 PM   #19

Reply to smokeybear

What model coach do you own?

I have same issue with my Ford E450 chassis dual wheels on rear of the Odyessey 26m. I bought new 9 months ago. There are braided wheel extensions on rear inner wheels but still hard to reach.The outer wheel is even worse with no extension on it the way the stem is angled inward. Have to pull the hubcaps off to get a chance at it.

As for inflation I even tried a Ford dealer and a local tire store who could not get the chucks on the rear wheels. Found a truck center for a 20 buck tip stepped up and checked the pressures.

On the road best place is a truck stop ex. LOVES.

I bought a Viair 450 which was not cheap to have a RV quality inflator for emergency. You power it off the battery.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvman22 View Post
What model coach do you own?
This is direct out of my signature: 1997 Eagle 222.