Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #1

JRV9000 and shore power

When connected to shore power and using the JRV9000 in my 2017 31DS am I drawing power from my house or chassis battery?
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #2

Likely the house battery, but you could also test it by turning off your coach 12 volt disconnect and see if the JRV9000 goes off as well.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

JRV9000 and shore power

Great question. Normally anything in the dash is going to be from your chassis battery. Steps, dash electronic and leveler are normally all chassis batteries.

In a perfect world this will pull your chassis down to a point where the isolator module will kick in and the converter for the coach will recharge the chassis battery to a fully charged level then the isolator will drop out and this cycle will repeat. With yours being a 2017 it should be close to that function.

I will see if I can locate the information on the isolation module and attach. You can then verify it is the same unit for your coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

Thanks. First I've heard of an isolator module. I believe you're saying that if the chassis battery charge falls below a specified charge it will be automatically recharged while on shore power much like the house battery... that would alleviate my concern of discharging the chassis battery when playing the DVD player, radio, I-pod through the JRV9000 day in and day out during an extended stay.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #5

This is precision circuits unit that is commonly found in the newer models. This might be completely different that what you have, you can find this located near you battery bank to see if this what you have. A quick check is if you have a button on your dash that you can press to have full power for starting your unit. Pushing the button pulls in relay and allows the power to flow from the house bank to the coach starting circuit.

I have no idea of when they started to use these units and if they are used in all coaches but I know it is my unit.

Quoted from their catalog sheet
"The Battery Isolation Manager(BIM) monitors the Battery Voltage of both
the Chassis and Coach Batteries over long periods of time. If it senses a charging voltage, it connects the two batteries together. If the charging system is drastically overburdened, the batteries will be isolated, however, if the BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected and allow the charging system to do its job. Once the
batteries have reached a Float Charge state for one hour, the BIM will isolate the batteries to prevent overcharging, and will only reconnect the batteries for charging if one of the Battery drops to approximately 80% charge, and the other is being charged"

See attached catalog sheet on this unit
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 00-10021-000-Battery-Isolation-Manager-RevF.pdf (81.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #6

I do have an auxiliary start button on my dash. I assume that is an emergency backup if the chassis battery dies. From what you've described, because I have an auxiliary start button, my system has a Battery Isolation Manager that automatically reconnects the batteries when one falls below 80% and charges the weak battery..therefore my concern is moot. Concern: draining my chassis battery while connected to shore power and using my JRV9000.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

If I say yes then someone else is going to come and say I am wrong. So let’s just say you should be all set based on you having a late
Model 2017 unit. The button actually is wired to the isolation manager and bypasses the electronics in the manager and allows power to move from the coach to the chassis while the bottom is pushed.

Just take what I say based on what you paid for it.

Best wishes for a great camping year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #8

Sir, thank you sincerely for your altruistic insight. Best wishes to you as well.